PDA

View Full Version : Gas leak. Plz help

97WarriorRider
10-03-2007, 07:50 PM
My 99 400ex leaks gas out of the carburator. It comes from the hose that runs towards the rear and down by the rear shock. My stock swing arm skid plate gets really wet just after a few minutes of riding. Is this the overflow hose for the bowl? What can i do to make it stop? Thanks, Tom

dariusld
10-03-2007, 08:06 PM
If its actually the overflow then its probably your float needle and or float needle seat.
cleaning the needle and the seat might help and if not, new carb. It could also be the drain hose on the carb, but less likely. The drain hose comes from the very bottom of the carb bowl.

97WarriorRider
10-03-2007, 08:14 PM
I think its called the drain hose..i dont really know..the manual doesnt say anything about it

dariusld
10-03-2007, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by 97WarriorRider
I think its called the drain hose..i dont really know..the manual doesnt say anything about it

Is it the hose coming out of the very bottom of the carb? Thats the drain hose. If it is, take the screw next to it out. Clean it and put it back in and hope it works.

Ry007
10-03-2007, 09:55 PM
you'll need to take your carb apart and adjust the floats in the bowl. While you're at it, you might as well clean your carb. Also make sure the main needle is in the correct position. Hope that helps and good luck.

dariusld
10-04-2007, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Ry007
you'll need to take your carb apart and adjust the floats in the bowl.
It's not adjustable.

Forest400ex
10-04-2007, 01:26 PM
You just want to make sure the float can move its full range. It could be a gunked up needle or something bent or broken. If the float can't move it can't stop the fuel flow. This will cause the bowl to overflow and spill/leak out the tube. The float may also have a hole or crack and therefore filling up with fuel and not working correctly.

Forest400ex
10-04-2007, 01:37 PM
You just want to make sure the float can move its full range. It could be a gunked up needle or something bent or broken. If the float can't move it can't stop the fuel flow. This will cause the bowl to overflow and spill/leak out the tube. The float may also have a hole or crack and therefore filling up with fuel and not working correctly.

CarGuy7a
10-04-2007, 07:40 PM
it is normal for a little bit of fuel to come out of that hose. and yes it is a bowl drain tube but it is also a float level overflow tube.

if you notice when you take the bowl off. the little metal tube that is in the inside of the bowl is the level overflow. even if your drain screw is tight you can blow compressed air through the little metal tube and it will come out the black hose at the bottom.

now if it's shooting straight gas out of it then yes it's prob your float and needle seat.

but if it's just a little dripping like mine does when i do wheelies and just normal riding it's fine.