PDA

View Full Version : Pics of 400ex with XC tanks or O.S. tanks

billyboy
10-03-2007, 11:37 AM
I just got a O.S. IMS tank for my 400ex and knew that the stock length stems were not going to work. What size did everone else go with? Also post a pic with what length you are using.

billyboy
10-05-2007, 10:06 AM
NO ONE HAS ONE???

tim colston
10-05-2007, 10:18 AM
I have this one.

billyboy
10-05-2007, 02:17 PM
That is the same one I have. Can you tell me what length of steering stem you are using?

tim colston
10-05-2007, 02:20 PM
+2 I am not sure if you can get away with a +1

billyboy
10-05-2007, 02:25 PM
Are you running a atv set of bars or did you go with a cr low bend sinse it sits that extra 2" higher? I thought about getting some flexx bars? But cant decide if I should look at a set for a dirt bike or a quad?
I am 6'3" so I am a lot taller than most riders? So a little extra height should not hurt me.

Honda#4
10-05-2007, 03:58 PM
I got a IMS 4.3gallon tank and im using a +1 Roll Design stem with stock bars, im pretty sure u can sneek by with a stock stem cuz ive done it on mine.

billyboy
10-08-2007, 05:16 AM
Thanks!

tim colston
10-08-2007, 09:31 AM
I am 6'3" as well and i have a houser clamp and am running protaper high bend bars. I like the +2 stem, I think it works better for a taller person. JMO though.

Honda#4
10-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Tim, from ur pic it looks like ur bars are set inside ur tank more so than mine, it looks like we have 2 different positions but with the same tank.

tim colston
10-08-2007, 12:27 PM
I see what you are saying. That is weird, I have a burgard stem. I wonder why that is.

Honda#4
10-08-2007, 06:36 PM
are you sure urs is a +2 cus look at where ur clamps are compared to mine, for sure mine is a +1 and im wondering if mine possibly is also +1 forward. Could you take a close up pic of the side of ur tank for me just to see the difference i'll take one of mine too.

billyboy
10-09-2007, 05:21 AM
:huh I looked at the pics again after you guys got to talken about it. Tims looks like it could be a +1 or a +1 1/2 and the one on Hondas bike looks like it could be a +3 or something?

I dont know, just looks that way. Its funny the differences in all the companies. There was a JB racing stem on here yesterday. It was a +1 1/2 but I am not sure that would give me what I want?

Honda#4
10-09-2007, 10:56 AM
Ok Tim this is what I took so if maybe you could get a pic like mine that would be awesome. I can't believe the clearence from mine to Tim's, I swear you get more for more when you buy Roll stuff LOL!

Honda#4
10-09-2007, 10:57 AM
last one, may not do much justice but just to see the difference.

tim colston
10-09-2007, 11:53 AM
man you have a crap load more than I do. I will take a pic tonight for comparison. Wow.

billyboy
10-09-2007, 12:37 PM
Man that stem looks massive in the other pictures but in that side view it does not look that bad. I think those bars must have been throwing me...

Honda#4
10-09-2007, 01:06 PM
The bars are only stock so idk how that would throw a person off but anything is possible, I wish other people would chime in with there different stem setups.

Tim, on my pic do you see them yellow tabs did you cut them off perhaps j/w? maybe with them on its throwing my tank geo off, idk if u can see but on the front left side i have washers on cus my bolt is stripped and im wondering if them tabs are whats causing my tank not to bunt up closer.

tim colston
10-09-2007, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Honda#4
The bars are only stock so idk how that would throw a person off but anything is possible, I wish other people would chime in with there different stem setups.

Tim, on my pic do you see them yellow tabs did you cut them off perhaps j/w? maybe with them on its throwing my tank geo off, idk if u can see but on the front left side i have washers on cus my bolt is stripped and im wondering if them tabs are whats causing my tank not to bunt up closer.

i will have to check but I think that I used the tabs as they were with the original tank but i am not sure. I will check when I get home and snap a couple of pics. this has got me thinking now. The tank will be in the same place regardless, you used the same mounting holes correct? It sure looks as though you have a lot more room that I do.

Honda#4
10-09-2007, 01:52 PM
Yep I used the same mounting holes and all the hardware it came with, this is by far the craziest thing I ever came apon with another rider.

Chino886
10-09-2007, 01:56 PM
Ok Tim this is what I took so if maybe you could get a pic like mine that would be awesome. I can't believe the clearence from mine to Tim's, I swear you get more for more when you buy Roll stuff LOL!

Holy Crap!

How bad do you get arm pump with your bars pushed forward like that?

Honda#4
10-09-2007, 02:04 PM
Actually Dave I really don't get any or very little or i just don't notice it when I ride, but when I ride my bros rubicon 500 man that thing is king of bumpsteer and I notice every little thing I hit, it's like hitting the ski molguls bump after bump after bump.

How ya been doing BTW? I see you bought a another quad, how ya like it so far?

tim colston
10-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Here you go, some pics for comparison

tim colston
10-09-2007, 06:18 PM

tim colston
10-09-2007, 06:19 PM
How ya been Dave haven't talked to you for awhile?

Honda#4
10-09-2007, 06:30 PM
Tim, I'm thinkin that I have a +1 forward stem thats why it sits forward so much and I think urs is a stock position stem. As for height mine is taller due to my stock bars and urs has the pro-taper bars which in terms makes ur whole setup look like a stock setup and mine look way higher due to the bars and the+1 stem sorry if that don't make a heap of sense. Are you sure you have a Burguard stem? cuz I was on there site and they dont have guessets on there stem and urs does which I think its a Houser stem cuz you got the clamps for it,unless Burguard redesigned there stems.

tim colston
10-10-2007, 07:38 AM
Tim, I'm thinkin that I have a +1 forward stem thats why it sits forward so much and I think urs is a stock position stem. As for height mine is taller due to my stock bars and urs has the pro-taper bars which in terms makes ur whole setup look like a stock setup and mine look way higher due to the bars and the+1 stem sorry if that don't make a heap of sense. Are you sure you have a Burguard stem? cuz I was on there site and they dont have guessets on there stem and urs does which I think its a Houser stem cuz you got the clamps for it,unless Burguard redesigned there stems.

I am in the midddle of a discussion in another thread. I bought the stem from Dave and I could have swore he told me it was but another buddy of mine on the site said it didn't look like it either. He said it didn't look like a houser either. Maybe a lonestar stem? I don't know, maybe if Dave chimes back it he could shed some light on the subject. i will attach a link to the other thread it is worth reading.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=319129

Chino886
10-10-2007, 01:03 PM
No, its not a Burgard, it is a GWC stem.

tim colston
10-10-2007, 01:11 PM
THere you go all, it is a GWC

Honda#4
10-10-2007, 01:16 PM
OK

billyboy
10-18-2007, 08:08 AM
Hey I traded Some items to "Black R/T" for his Houser +2 I was curious about what bars to go with since the clearance has been my main issue here? I was thinking about going with some Flexx bars but am curious if their straight across design is going to work or not?

billyboy
10-19-2007, 12:30 PM
I put it in last night with my CR lowbend Pro-tapers. Wow it is awesome the way it is! I wish I had this stem when I was still racing MX. This thing feels great! A lot more comfortable just riding!!! I cant wait to get some flexx bars on there!:eek2: :D

Honda#4
10-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Flexx Bars all I can say is $$$$$$$$$$$. If I was in your position I would just stick with your Pro-tapers and then buy a $300 stablizer so your hands aint jerking around if that is a problem IDK. But your ride will feel alot better with a stablizer.

billyboy
10-19-2007, 02:35 PM
:devil: got one. Had a Denton for a while and took it off then put it back on just so I could feel the difference. It is a nice change. I also had flexx bars and got rid of them and wish I had them back.

Honda#4
10-19-2007, 02:52 PM
All I can say is go for it, IDK what bend you like but I think most people that have em get the Dana Creech bend but I think thats pretty close to the 14 degree bend IDK, im sure you know this though.

billyboy
10-22-2007, 06:54 AM
I had a set before and sold them like a fool. They were sweet but I think I let the standard length stem give them a bad rap. With this new stem, I think I will like them a lot more!

Honda#4
10-22-2007, 11:25 AM
A standard stem ain't a antivibe stem so yea it would make a ride feel pretty bad, with your new stem and them bars your ride will feel much more comfortable and feel alot less vibration maybe even make you a more agressive rider.

billyboy
10-22-2007, 12:53 PM
You missed it. It was a houser anti stem... It was just standard height.

I am trying to keep from expecting too much. I dont want to be disappointed.

Honda#4
10-22-2007, 02:25 PM
O my bad I read it wrong Sorry, trust me you won't be disapointed in that setup.