PDA

View Full Version : Gas leak

Danoman
10-03-2007, 09:19 AM
There is gas leaking out of my 99 400ex when I wheelie. It is leaking out of the two pipes on the carb. When I say leaking - I mean it is pissing out. I blocked one pipe but the atv dies out if I try to block the other. Thanks.

fastredrider44
10-03-2007, 11:14 AM
More than likely your float is stuck. Clean out the carb really really well, and you might also want to make sure the float needle is seating really well. That should do it if you have the vent lines run properly.

kolby2004
10-03-2007, 05:38 PM
First question is ... Does the gas still come out when it is just sitting there idoling?
If yes then your float is stuck.
If no and it runs great then its prolly fine. Mine squirts gas out when I do wheelies alot too. its not a big deal

Danoman
10-04-2007, 02:35 AM
Yeh it idles & runs fine - just leaks on the wheelie. I'll clean the carb at the wk'nd anyway. Thanks guys.

NacsMXer
10-04-2007, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by Danoman
There is gas leaking out of my 99 400ex when I wheelie. It is leaking out of the two pipes on the carb. When I say leaking - I mean it is pissing out. I blocked one pipe but the atv dies out if I try to block the other. Thanks.

That is perfectly normal, it is coming out of the overflow hoses on your carb. They stream out gas during a wheelie because the float bowl is being overflowed with fuel at that extreme angle.

The only time this ISN'T normal is when gas comes out these same hoses when the quad is on level ground with the gas turned on.

I've seen guys rig up water bottle "catch cans" so they're not literally pissing away gas when they stunt.