PDA

View Full Version : 11:1 piston swap

400ex00
11-02-2002, 04:52 PM
my 400ex has a stage to jet kit, white bros. e series exhaust and
a k @ n air filter. theres a guy at a dealership whos wanting to
sell me a 11:1 stock bore weisco piston for my bike. im very inter-ested in doing this but i had a couple of questions.
will it make the motor run any warmer
will i still be able to run pump gas
also i was thinking about going to a different front sprocket
14 or 16 tooth which do you guys reccomend. do you believe
this will be a good setup
thanks for the help

GoLikeHell
11-02-2002, 05:39 PM
will it make the motor run any warmer
Yes, but nothing to worry about

will i still be able to run pump gas
I run 94 octane in mine right now and havent had any problems. I would run a 50-50 mix of race gas in sand tho

also i was thinking about going to a different front sprocket
14 or 16 tooth which do you guys reccomend.
Depends on riding area

do you believe
this will be a good setup
Great setup!!! You might want to invest in a cam

Mark:cool:

11-02-2002, 07:49 PM
i would leave the 15 or maybe a 16. 14 is to low

Ex'r Marlin
11-02-2002, 08:00 PM
The 11:1 will most likely require you to run 50/50 race gas and premium pump gas. I have the 10.8:1... I too run 50/50.

If you want to continue running premium "pump" gas, I would recommend a 10.5:1 compression. Even if you bought a new one, it would be cheaper in the long run.

Good luck.:)

2qk4u
11-02-2002, 09:06 PM
I have this setup but with a full WB system and have been running it since at least spring and have had no problems whats so ever with it. i run the highest octane at the pump at the dunes or wherever and bike runs awesome. I am running the wiseco 11:1 standard bore piston and it really woke the bike up. Iam not running a aftermarket cam yet. still got the stock one in her. dont really know how much more it would help it butit runs great now. Iam running a 14 tooth front sprocket and would highly recommend it if you want bottom to mid range. bike pulls awesome and does great in the wood also. If you are looking for reliability for your bike this is the best way to go and it is cheap to do also. I think my piston kit was only like $110, thats everything to do it. if i were you i would stay away from the cometic gasket that come with it though. I have seen the head gaskets start leaking on them. If i were you i would spend the extra few dollars and get a honda head gasket so you dont have to worry about it. dont worry at all about the gas. just put the highest octane you can get at the pump and you will be good to go. my engine runs real smooth. never has failed to start. Just look at my sig and that will tell you everything im running. any questions just let me know.
good luck

DEAL
11-02-2002, 09:31 PM
GolikeHell
What kind of gains did you get from the cam and piston alone?
I was considering running the same setup, Your still running stock rockers right?

josh
11-02-2002, 10:26 PM
if your gonna open the motor up i would suggest investing in a xr400 cam or any mild aftermarket cam, i wouldn't go with a race cam or any stage 2 stuff if you are looking for reliability, if you go with the race cam your supposed to put new valve springs in it, then things start getting expensive, and if you go any higher than 10.5:1 i wouldn't suggest running pump gas, i would go to an air feild and only use av gas(100+ octane), or you could just go to a harley shop and buy some octane boost and mix it with pump gas, but yes, i've heard that a piston and cam really wake that motor up, o and im pretty sure you can use the stock rockers with a mild cam or a xr400 cam, jus my 2

p.s.
i would greatly incourage the investment in a manual if you don't already have one;)

GoLikeHell
11-03-2002, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by FreeStylexrider
GolikeHell
What kind of gains did you get from the cam and piston alone?
I was considering running the same setup, Your still running stock rockers right?

That was the best two gains I could of done to my quad for the money and time. I used to get beat by a stock banshee ( im no lite rider), but now I whoop him good. Also I switched from a 14 tooth and 20 inch tires to a 16 tooth with 18 inch tires.

One thing tho, when raising the compression your jetting becomes more touchy, so you will be playing with your jets and needle position.

Mark