PDA

View Full Version : horsepower

aztecgwynn
10-02-2007, 12:59 PM
Just got back my 1986 Honda trx 250r from the dyno shop. My 250R has a Trinity stage 2 porting, cool head with 19cc dome, an FMF fatty pipe, with stock carburetor with a 158 main jet and carbon tech reeds and has 175 lbs of compression
These are the numbers back from the dyno max horsepower 35.3 and max torque at 27.5 do these numbers sound right to you not to me comparing my 1985 Honda ATC 250R that is stock minus the ESR pipe it has 34.9 HP.
Looking at the graphs between the ATC and the TRX the ATC graph has a smooth power bandfrom 5500 RPM to 7500 RPM till it falls flat on its face.
My 1986 TRX on the other hand has a very sharp incline from idle all the way to 7500 RPM and then falls sharply from there but sustains the power through 6500RPM to 7500RPM.
But comparing the the two dyno tests I can see a difference between the 1985 ATC having a very conservative power band to my 1986 TRX that has a very wild powerband.
My questions to my fellow members are how much horsepower are you getting out of your TRX 250R's ported or non ported, thanks for your time.

criminalpoet
10-02-2007, 05:55 PM
Those numbers are actually quite low, but its expected from big name shops like Trinity. Those big name shops are VERY conservative with their porting for liability and reliability issues. My stock 89 long rod motor built by 1 Dir Racing is putting out 52hp with 32lbs of torque and thats with a X-3 dune/mx port job which isnt by any means maxed out, well opened up but not maxed out.

However I just sent my motor back out to them today for their pre-pusher engine design which will have maxed out porting and im told to expect 57-62hp with 35-39lbs of torque, and this is without a stroker, just a long rod. Im also running their 1 Dir Racing G-3 reed valve,1 Dir Racing Pro Billet cool head, Keihin 39mm PWK carb bored and tapered to 40.5mm, K&N filter with volocity tube, running TRICK 110 mixed with Amsoil Dominator at 40:1 and an irridium plug gapped at .029 w/ a PT high rev pipe.

When I first started building race bikes I pretty much tried all of the big named shops including Trinity, but I wasnt saticfied until I tried a few smaller named shops. For me 1 Dir Racing meets and exceeds all of my expectations for max power with max reliability. They even stand behind their motors by giving a warranty. I mean dont get me wrong, 30s hp is enough to have some fun with, but your probably not going to beat up on any of the new high performance 4 pokes with those numbers.

RichM1983
10-02-2007, 07:36 PM
Wow I didnt think hp in the 50's were possible with a stock cylinder no matter what kind of bolt ons you have. Sounds like you have a ripper.

criminalpoet
10-03-2007, 05:41 AM
Oh its possible! It just take the right builder. Will of 1 Dir Racing has been building motors since 1971 lol, over the last 35 years hes learned a few things along the way to say the least, and hes got quite a big bag full of little tricks. The power is in the design and in the exact math that goes into their motors. Everything is clayed,flowed,dynoed, and blueprinted.

But I mean think about it, there are guys out there getting 45-50hp out of a stock Blaster motor with a 240 big bore cylinder. With that being said, the stock 250r cylinder is still bigger than 240cc, the 250r cylinder is liquid cooled, and the 250r stock cylinder has a much more aggressive and just all around better port design/layout than a bb Blaster cylinder, with a much larger intake area.

With this being said, if a stock Blaster bb cylinder is capable of said numbers than a stock 250r cylinder is capable of more! It just takes the right builder with the know-how. 1 Dir Racing loves building sleeper motors like mine. I also have their heat/barrier/friction coatings throughout my motor which makes my bike run extremely cool. In around 500 miles ive put on my motor balls out in desert racing in 100 degree + weather, I havent lost not 1 psi of compression. Most people would say thats impossible too. But its not, it just takes the right builder.