PDA

View Full Version : PC by manufacturing company

dustin_j
10-02-2007, 11:16 AM
My father-in-law works at a manufacturing company that makes attachments for skid-loaders and tractors. They do their own powdercoating (they paint and bake at 350) and I could get some pc work done cheap here. Are there any negatives to this besides few color choices? I was planning to do my frame, subframe, swinger, and possibly a-arms. Thanks,
Dustin

infantry317
10-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Just be sure they do a good job of either blasting or baking off whatever your current paint or powder is on there. Check if they phosphatize the metal (not really necessary if blasted) but should be done if a burn-off oven was used. The Iron or Zinc Phosphate etches the metal so the powder adheres better. If its a line system, not a guy holding a gun, it will probably not turn out well. So be sure it will be hand-sprayed. Make sure they have all the plugs to mask tapped holes (or you have all the metric taps to retap them :D ) Be sure the powder is either polyester or urethane, no hybrids or epoxies (they are for indoors and corrosive applications not good in UV light). They also need to know where to blow powder out of on A-arms and swinger, etc.

I may have forgotten a few things, so anyone chime in.

If in doubt, send it to Pappy or a local shop, they probably know your product better. Good luck.

dustin_j
10-02-2007, 05:57 PM
Are gussets needed on the 400ex frame? I mostly ride mx and woods, but will I ever have a problem with the stock frame if I leave it as is? Thanks,
Dustin