PDA

View Full Version : Engine cut-out

ScooterBike
10-02-2007, 05:57 AM
I do long distance racing, desert type racing. A couple of us riding LTR’s (06/07 models) have noticed the same problem lately. The engine cuts out for about half a second every time the rear wheels go airborne and loose traction. It usually only starts doing this after about 5 hours of racing. It is really annoying!!! Any ideas?
maybe overheating electronics???
:confused:

quad97
10-02-2007, 05:50 PM
fuel in tank getting too hot?

asjr39
10-02-2007, 05:53 PM
In the search area for threads search FUEL FILTER and that should give you all the info you need. Hope this helps.

ScooterBike
10-03-2007, 04:56 AM
According to earlier forum discussions it is likely to be the fuel filter and/or fuel pump. HOWEVER, when it bogs down on a bump (not a jump) it is instantaneous and as soon as the rear gets traction again it starts up again and continues as if nothing happened… my query is would the fuel filter have that instantaneous effect on the fuel system? :confused:

baker58
10-14-2007, 09:58 PM
i have an 06 and mine did the same thing and it turned out to be the fuel filter it would cut out for a sec on whoops and jumps !

Speed_MDS2
10-15-2007, 05:22 AM
Its the fuel filter.

AL Elks
10-16-2007, 08:31 PM
FUEL FILTER
Inside the swirl tank (small reservoir attached to the petcock) there is a small fuel filter. This filter needs only to be replaced maybe every six months to a year if you run pump gas. But- with some race fuels, the filter needs to be changed frequently. Some race fuels will dissolve the filter. The symptoms of a bad filter are when the bike inexplicably starts to cut out. Usually in the air off of jumps with a chopped throttle.

If your LT-R starts to show these symptoms, go to your dealer and buy a few of the filters and the O-ring gasket for the swirl tank (just in case you break the original) and replace the filter. We recommend cleaning the fuel pressure regulator at this time as well.

FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR ISSUES
If your LT-R becomes hard to start and is running poorly, for no apparent reason, often times it could be the Fuel Pressure Regulator. Or, if you’ve had fuel filter issues due to corrosive race gas, the units can become clogged from either debris or corrosion. The normal 42psi pressure can be reduced below 40psi, and things start to go bad. The unit can be cleaned by removing it from the quad, and cleaning with contact cleaner and. We also like to use an air hose to blow out any potential debris.

FUEL LINES
Keeping your fuel lines and water lines cool and protected will make the rubber last a lot longer by protecting it from the heat. The race team uses a heat wrap that is made by CV-4. It looks good and improves durability.

asjr39
10-16-2007, 09:36 PM
Does anyone have a part number for the fuel filter? I went down to my local dealership and they cant seem to find it. Any help??