PDA

View Full Version : Millennium Technologies or other big bores

firefighterjosh
10-01-2007, 11:43 PM
I am thinking of big boring my king quad.

I found a place that does King quad work.

http://www.mt-llc.com/index.html

There kit comes with a CP piston, Boring, the recoating of the cyclinder, gaskets. All the crap to rebore it to a 750cc monster. Only problem...example pic... "The 6mm oversize piston is .236" or .118" per side. That seems like a lot of meat to be removed from the cylinder wall. I can see where the spacer would help the head gasket seal but what about the rest of the bore. Being the wall was thinner, could it potentially warp after the boring if your engine got hot? It doesn't appear as though there is much wall thickness to begin with."

they also had a problem with the head gaskets leaking, they come with a spacer, that gives the king quad heads gasket more surface area but "slightly" restricts the flow of coolant.

My king quad is a IE open deck cyclinder. Wonder how these type hold up to big bores.

I am new to this 4 stroke bore thing. I have only done 2 strokes before but the price for all this crap is $575. Is that a good price for jsut a bore, replate and pistons and gaskets?

On top of this I would be getting cam, cam chain, valves ect.

thanks, hope I made since

firefighterjosh
10-01-2007, 11:44 PM
oops pic of the cyclinder

400exrider707
10-02-2007, 08:11 AM
Sounds like a lot of "what if's" and corners cut on that one... I would think a higher compression piston and a good cam would benefit you more without sacrificing reliability...;)

firefighterjosh
10-02-2007, 06:21 PM
thats what I was thinking too. I dont think 50ccs would benifit enough to worry about the "if this...."

I was thinking of maybe a 706 or 710 type bore with higher compression piston and cam

400exrider707
10-02-2007, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
thats what I was thinking too. I dont think 50ccs would benifit enough to worry about the "if this...."

I was thinking of maybe a 706 or 710 type bore with higher compression piston and cam

Sounds like the better choice. Higher compression will yield more of a benefit than larger piston size. I would go that route.

jacobw
10-03-2007, 03:41 PM
higher compression will mean race fuel to get the motor to respond to the high com piston and a big bore will yield more mid range usable power and high compression will make it run a little better crisper off the bottom personally bigger bore a near stock compression would be more usable and then add a cam and you will have a good overall package, there is no replacement for displacement.

bwamos
10-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by jacobw
higher compression will mean race fuel to get the motor to respond to the high com piston and a big bore will yield more mid range usable power and high compression will make it run a little better crisper off the bottom personally bigger bore a near stock compression would be more usable and then add a cam and you will have a good overall package, there is no replacement for displacement.

Nah, you don't always need race fuel when you raise compression. The king quad is most likley 9:1 or 10:1 compression tops. I'd wager you could get it up close to 12:1 and still run premium pump since it is water cooled.

firefighterjosh
10-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
Nah, you don't always need race fuel when you raise compression. The king quad is most likley 9:1 or 10:1 compression tops. I'd wager you could get it up close to 12:1 and still run premium pump since it is water cooled.

I was going to bump it to a 11:1 then maybe get a little shaved off the head so maybe 12:1 tops.

I wouldnt mind running 50/50 race fuel. Its only $3.70 a gallon here:blah: