PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Additives - Your Thoughts?

yernkie
10-01-2007, 07:27 PM
What is your opinion on octane boosters and fuel stabilizers? I do not need race gas, but I like to add a little something to my 5 gallon cans because this time of year they sit outside a lot (camping at the dunes and while on the trailer) and moisture is a concern. I have good quality fuel jugs, but better to be safe. In the past, I have always added a little STP fuel treatment, but a buddy talked me into getting some Maxima Hi Test...he swears by it. Has anyone ever used this? He says it keeps his gas fresh and helps if it gets moisture in it.

cbrooks118
10-02-2007, 07:39 AM
I have always been told not to use them. Something about most additives contain acetone wich is bad for plastic and rubber componets in the fuel lines ect.

But i am sure someone who is smarter than I can elaborate on the details

You'll have to tell me the conditions of LS this weekend. I am going next weekend

400exrider707
10-02-2007, 08:05 AM
If concerned about gas staying fresh, add some Sta-bil. Other than that octane boosters and such are a waste of money.

wideopen4life
10-03-2007, 07:56 PM
i dont use sta-bil ive used it once and it just gummed up the carb. i use seafoam, it stabalizes the fuel and it also cleans everywere the gas goes.

GPracer2500
10-03-2007, 08:12 PM
I've used Sta-Bil without any issues.

tank69
10-04-2007, 09:14 PM
Never had an issue with Sta-Bil. Octante Boosers = SNAKE OIL

pro-rider46
10-04-2007, 10:14 PM
see foam, is really good, stabil is good too. sea foam cleans really good, and you can even add some to your engine oil, to help free sticking rings or somethink, i cant remember

wilkin250r
10-06-2007, 03:05 AM
I would have to say, in large quantities or regular usage, almost ANY fuel additive is bad news. That includes Sta-bil.

Most any "octane booster" is bad, they're complete garbage. Ask anybody that actually knows a thing or two about fuels. They're junk.

I'll admit, I haven't done a complete chemical analysis on fuel stabilizers like Sta-bil, but I can't imagine it's all that great and terrific with absolutely no side-effects at all. I imagine there are SOME types of negative side-effects with long-term usage.

Don't get me wrong, I've used Sta-bil plenty of times, but it's always a "lesser of two evils". It's going to be much less harmful than allowing your gasoline to go bad. If I'm going to be using my gasoline in a timely manner, no long-term storage, I'm not going to be using any type of additive.