PDA

View Full Version : Can sum1 plz help my 400ex oil problem

crazy4number8
10-01-2007, 06:07 PM
I just rebuilt my top-end and added oil to it ran little while rechecked oil and there is no oil on dipstick.I put more oil in still nothing.Where is it all going?when i take my oil lines off it shoots oil out but how much pressure should it have? do you think maybe my oil pump is bad after 4 hrs of run time my oil smells burnt can sum1 plz help me .Thanks crazymanofpa@yahoo.com

dariusld
10-01-2007, 07:16 PM
Did you check the oil according to manual?

crazy4number8
10-01-2007, 10:08 PM
no I don't have manual but i called honda there say 1.9 qt but i have put like 3qt in it and it still don't show.i took oil line off and it shoots lil oil came out but i'm not sure how much it should shoot out

hornetgod13
10-01-2007, 10:17 PM
The oil must be checked after the motor has been ran atleast 5 minutes. If you check it cold you will get a bogus reading.

Eviltanker
10-02-2007, 07:15 AM
I have almost 3 in mine.

dariusld
10-02-2007, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by dariusld
To be perfectly clear on checking oil. 1. Sit the quad on level ground. 2. Warm up the quad. 3. Turn off the quad and let it sit for a couple minutes. 4. Take the dipstick out and wipe it off and put it back in without screwing it in, take it out and thats the oil level. This is basically how the owners manual says to do it.

honda400exr
10-02-2007, 07:36 AM
after my rebuild it took closer to 2.5 or 3 quarts till it was good. even if you're oil pump was going bad or already bad you should be getting a reading on the dipstick because the pump wouldn't be pulling the oil in. when you pull the line off and crank it there will be some oil shooting out but it won't be a huge amount. it should have enough pressure to shoot the oil maybe a foot or a little less. one way to see if the oil is pumping through everything is fill the tank till you get a good reading on the dipstick then run it for a couple minutes. feel the engine while its running and you will feel it heating up then feel the lines and the cooler. if the oil is pumping through everything then the lines and cooler will start to warm up too. if that happens then just keep adding oil till you get a good reading on the stick.

crazy4number8
10-03-2007, 06:07 PM
ok I filled it upnow till it was full but now it won't stay running & has NO power.I took and drained it all out started over it had 4 1/2 Qts in it where is it all going? Is there maybe a seal bad in motor and its going in there? (like side covers or sumthing).I have just about had it with this oil problem !!!!:mad:

dariusld
10-03-2007, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by crazy4number8
ok I filled it upnow till it was full but now it won't stay running & has NO power.I took and drained it all out started over it had 4 1/2 Qts in it where is it all going? Is there maybe a seal bad in motor and its going in there? (like side covers or sumthing).I have just about had it with this oil problem !!!!:mad:

I don't think it has an oil problem, I think it has an owner problem.

crazy4number8
10-03-2007, 07:03 PM
AND WHAT IS THAT ABOUT ? WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE A DUMB@SS
i JUST TRYING TO GET LIL HELP HERE !!!:grr:

jrdrag5475
10-03-2007, 07:12 PM
like what everyone else has said... do exactly this, fill the oil full to the full mark on the dipstick... run it and get it warm, the oil should show prolly near nothing, add oil while running until it is full again, ride it around and it might go down a little more, fill it full again and you should have full oil.

Now lets say the next day you go out and check the oil, the oil level will show like it has no oil in it. Start it up and get the motor warm, check the dip stick and it should be full

dariusld
10-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by crazy4number8
AND WHAT IS THAT ABOUT ? WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE A DUMB@SS
i JUST TRYING TO GET LIL HELP HERE !!!:grr:

I'm the dumboss? You put more than 4 quarts in your quad and I'm the dummy :(
Have you checked it the way we said? We don't know if your checking it wrong or if you have no oil in your tank? If you have no oil in your tank then we can address that but lets first get the easy things out of the way. Or we can just call each other names, but that doesn't solve your problem. Lots of info, that is clear will help.

crazy4number8
10-06-2007, 10:50 PM
Ok I did like you all said to do about running my 400ex then check oil,but it still is not showing.Does any1 have a reason why its not showing up on dipstick. I drained the oil again it had just about 3qt. thanks

my88r
10-06-2007, 11:42 PM
GET A MANUEL. if you own a quad you should always have one:rolleyes:

hornetgod13
10-07-2007, 10:51 AM
Two bits of advice for you.

1.) Get a maintenance manual ($20-$30) QUICK!

2.) 2 quarts only! Warm it up for 5 minutes. Than check the oil.

The oil is not magically disappearing. The more I read your posts, the more I'm convinced you have no idea what you are doing. Take the advice of the people on the website or go see a professional mechanic. Four and a half quarts of oil in a 400ex motor is scarey.

JOEX
10-07-2007, 11:02 AM
Brand new oil, depending on the brand, can be very difficult to see on the dipstick too....

hornetgod13
10-07-2007, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
Brand new oil, depending on the brand, can be very difficult to see on the dipstick too....

Great point! Check it in the sunlight if available.

crazy4number8
10-07-2007, 03:42 PM
It has no oil on dipstick None!! i even used a towel to check it

togup
10-07-2007, 06:22 PM
you said it is freshly rebuilt could the oil be passing by the rings and being burnt? is there alot of smoke?

crazy4number8
10-07-2007, 09:04 PM
nope no smoke !! I can run it for like 4 hrs then drain it and it has same amount of oil in it .Is there anyway that maybe its going in motor somewhere that it shouldn't be like maybe its got a bad seal or something? It runs great,but just can't check oil? HELP ME !!!I have 4 machines but this is my first 2 wheel quad thanks

Scott S
10-09-2007, 10:39 PM
do you have an aftermarket oil tank?

crazy4number8
10-10-2007, 10:08 AM
nope stock oil tank. All I did to it was new piston/rings 1 stage cam and jetted carb now if I check oil it doesn't read on dipstick.Run reallly good no smoke but just does not show no oil on dipstick

bens250ex
10-10-2007, 06:16 PM
maybe take yout engine apart egain? i dont know what to tell you after reading everything. my 400 would do the same thing before i put the 440 kit in it but my guess on mine was the oil ring was toast. mine would only smoke when i let off the gas and then hit the gas again. did you put new gaskets when you rebuilt it? were the gaskets installed right? id say put some thick oil in it till its on the filled up line and drive it around for a bit and see how it acts. check the oil after you ride it for a min. does the oil come out of the tank when you drain it or just out of the engine? there are two drain bolts.