PDA

View Full Version : Help with ground clearance -- Chain tensioner

TricityCdale
10-01-2007, 11:42 AM
Hi,
I am new to the mini-scene but purchased an Apex 90 Pro MX back in April. My son is 7 and is just getting started with racing.

My question is, is it possible to remove the skid plate and chain tensioner? The track he is racing on is nothing but sand, and after a few motos of bikes/quads, gets some DEEP ruts. He sometimes gets sucked into them and gets high centered, which causes sand to get packed into the skid plate and causes the chain to come off. He would gain an extra 1 1/2 inches of clearance by removing the skid plate.

So far, I'm very happy with the machine, I just need to gain some ground clearance so he doesn't get stuck.

Thanks for your help!

Andyman17dad
10-01-2007, 11:55 AM
Quick get out while you still can!! :D :D

No, mini-quad racing is the best!

You can get rid of the skid platees, but don't get rid of the chain tensioner.

You are already on the right track by coming on this site, more help and info than you can imagine!

TricityCdale
10-01-2007, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the info. I can definitely see where this is going to get expensive!!:eek2:

Is there a way to remove the chain guard/skid plate without removing the tensioner? My quick heat-of-the-moment try had the tensioner attached to the skid plate. Is there a way to attach it directly to the swingarm?

WOLFPACK
10-04-2007, 10:01 PM
You can purchase an aftermarket tensioner from JL ATV that will bolt directly to the swingarm. If you had to you could weld a tab to mount it to. But more than likely you will find a place to mount it.

Shane

XXX -rider
12-30-2007, 04:12 PM
seems like the chains are too long from the get go ..anyone ever try running these type quad with out them ?
seems as tho you can cut the chain to required length to eliminate chain tensioner ??????????
is there a reason why these mini quads have "chain tensioners"?
what does it really do ?... could the quad be ran with a proper length chain
or are these stupid things needed because the carriers only have a lil adjustment ?

DoubleDad
12-30-2007, 05:51 PM
The up and down motion of the swingarm causes the chain tension to increase and decrease. The purpose on the tensioner is to maintain proper tension throughtout the swingarm motion range. When you adjust your chain tension, you should compress your rear end and adjust your chain at the tightest point, theoretically.

cheatermtrsprts
12-30-2007, 06:22 PM
The chain geometry on the Apex is pretty good. There isn't a whole bunch of slack at ride height or in full compression, but like everyone says, a chain tensioner is needed.