PDA

View Full Version : Tools

rancherrider69
09-30-2007, 08:09 PM
well next fall ill be heading to college as a powersports machanic and i need to get tools...i was woundering what brand you guys like the best...best quality, price, and waranty and if the company is easy to work with if you do need to use the waranty...thanks guys

MX300ex
09-30-2007, 08:18 PM
snap on, craftsman, matco, mac

all good imo

450Rchaser
10-01-2007, 02:57 PM
Air Tools- Ingersoll Rand Titanium Series

Impact Sockets- for the price get some Sunex. There not gonna break so don't spend a fortune on something that say Snap-on

Regular/Chrome socket- spend the xtra money and get Snap-on or Matco. Snap on has the flank drive sockets that are really good

Pliers- Mac males alot of good sets that are very reasonably priced and work well

Gear Wrenches- go w/ either Blackhawk or Gearwrench for wratchety wrenches

Combination Wrenches- get some craftsman. I have broke one yet.

Screwdrivers- believe me all screwdrivers are not the same. I good set of screw drivers will keep you from messing up the head of the screw

Quadfather
10-01-2007, 03:08 PM
If money is tight, start out with Craftsman. I've used them for years, and have really only broken a ratchet, and they replaced it with no questions asked.

They're not bad tools, for the money. And they'll replace them with a smile, if need be.

MX300ex
10-01-2007, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by 450Rchaser

Impact Sockets- for the price get some Sunex. There not gonna break so don't spend a fortune on something that say Snap-on

i beg to differ i have broken 2 with a impact before. n it was the cheap ones like u talk about

mineralgrey01gt
10-01-2007, 05:49 PM
i personally prefer Snap-on as its what we mostly have around my house. Craftsman has good tools but not their ratchets, they all suck. Everyone I have, I broke at least once, my 3/8" drive broke 2 times already.

97blaster200
10-01-2007, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by mineralgrey01gt
i personally prefer Snap-on as its what we mostly have around my house. Craftsman has good tools but not their ratchets, they all suck. Everyone I have, I broke at least once, my 3/8" drive broke 2 times already.

who cares? if they break...you get a free one!

trx400EXtreme
10-01-2007, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Quadfather
If money is tight, start out with Craftsman. I've used them for years, and have really only broken a ratchet, and they replaced it with no questions asked.

They're not bad tools, for the money. And they'll replace them with a smile, if need be. yea X2. we use mostly craftsman tools and all the one we have were my grandpas and now my dads and we have never had any problems with them.... exept for finding them.:mad: :p

mineralgrey01gt
10-01-2007, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by 97blaster200
who cares? if they break...you get a free one!

yea thats fine and dandy but when I break one, the nearest craftsman dealer is 45 min away, now would you ride 45 min to switchout a ratchet? I seriously doubt it

450Rchaser
10-01-2007, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by MX300ex
i beg to differ i have broken 2 with a impact before. n it was the cheap ones like u talk about

I've been working on cars for quiet awhile now at a CADILLAC & HUMMER dealer. The only impact sockets that I have seen break are the thin wall sockets for custom wheels. i have about 20K worth of tools and about 10K in my toolbox. its kind of addictive.

criminalpoet
10-01-2007, 07:35 PM
For hand tools I like my Craftsman because of the warranty,price, and convenience. For air tools I am a MAC man all the way. If you are interested in buying MAC tools I have a friend who retired from the business of being a MAC dealer that has close to $100,000 in left over inventory. He's selling brand new MAC tools at dealer cost, which is basically 30% below MSRP, which is like 50% below what you would pay directly off of the MAC tool truck lol.

My e-mail is criminalpoet@msn.com if your interested.

Doober
10-01-2007, 07:39 PM
where are you goin to school?

jesseweaver
10-01-2007, 08:00 PM
yeah, does anyone know of any good schools around southeastern PA that are good for powersports mechanic.

rancherrider69
10-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Doober
where are you goin to school?

alexandria tech in mn

thanks for the info guys...im starting to get an idea of what im gonna buy and from where

MX300ex
10-01-2007, 09:11 PM
I've been working on cars for quiet awhile now at a CADILLAC & HUMMER dealer. The only impact sockets that I have seen break are the thin wall sockets for custom wheels. i have about 20K worth of tools and about 10K in my toolbox. its kind of addictive.

and my father owns a toyota, scion, and nissan dealership...WHO THE **** CARES

450Rchaser
10-02-2007, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by MX300ex
and my father owns a toyota, scion, and nissan dealership...WHO THE **** CARES

Well good for him, I was just saying that I have been around tools alot. Always get a dick on a thread no matter what the topic is!

trick450r
10-02-2007, 10:33 AM
I dunno guys i have never broken a craftsman ratchet. I know that they do not operate as well as most others so i have a few snap-ons and a few macs. But i do have a craftsman and it hasnt broken. For air tools i choose nothing but IR, gear wrenches i have nothing but gearwrench themselves.

450Rchaser
10-02-2007, 10:36 AM
I have some craftsman ratchets but i rarely ever use them. I have found alot of good deals on ebay.

MOFO
10-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Most of my hand tools are Craftsman. The only issue I've had has already been mentioned - ratchet went bad (1/4"). No biggie as Sears is 10 minutes away and they swapped it without a question.

Crashmore 22
10-02-2007, 11:29 PM
Without a doubt buy Snap-On. They have the same free replacement warranty like the others, but they also have a buy back program, where if you get in a financial bind they will buy your tools back for 80% of the retail price. They are truley a company that stands behind their product. In my personal oppinion, Snap-On makes the best wrenches without a doubt, the raised portion on craftsman wrenches just feels akward. But if you are in a financial tight, Armstrong tools are almost exact clones to Snap-On, especially their ratchets.

450Rchaser
10-03-2007, 06:13 AM
Your crazy, Snap On will not buy back your tools for 80% of retail price. You would be lucky to get 50%and thats only if the tool guy thinks he could resale it quickly.

Crashmore 22
10-04-2007, 01:09 AM
Your crazy, Snap On will not buy back your tools for 80% of retail price. You would be lucky to get 50%and thats only if the tool guy thinks he could resale it quickly.

I prolly am crazy, but they will and do buy back tools! When my grandfather sold his shop, they bought back his boxes and hand tools!

Crashmore 22
10-04-2007, 01:12 AM
Well good for him, I was just saying that I have been around tools alot. Always get a dick on a thread no matter what the topic is!

:rolleyes: I couldn't agree more. So many people with too many answers and not enough questions.

450Rchaser
10-04-2007, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by Crashmore 22
:rolleyes: I couldn't agree more. So many people with too many answers and not enough questions.

Very true, but if his dad owns 3 car dealerships why is he riding a 300ex. I mean surely out of those MILLIONS he's making every year you could squeeze something better than that out of him.

mx825
10-04-2007, 01:43 PM
Very true, but if his dad owns 3 car dealerships why is he riding a 300ex. I mean surely out of those MILLIONS he's making every year you could squeeze something better than that out of him.

no need to rag on someones quad, but i agree; there's always a someone b!tching.:mad: