PDA

View Full Version : 07 450R Faster?

ariscus99
09-30-2007, 06:58 PM
So I'm new to the site and haven't done much searching but I was hoping you folks could help a brother out. I bought an 07 TRX 450R Limited Edition last year and have been fairly happy with it but haven't ridden much. Now my buddy is getting a 08 raptor 700r and I wanna know if there's anything I can do to my bike to get it to keep up with his?

lj450r
09-30-2007, 07:00 PM
get the HRC kit and you will smoke him everytime.

cthomps07
09-30-2007, 07:50 PM
Put a new cam in it. A hot cams stage 2 will give you some more top end. Couple that with a new exhaust and you will see a difference. After that I would add an after market filter like a uni or twin air and get rid of the air box lid and either run without it or add an outerwears cover. Once they come out with the new 08 cams this will be my set up. Costs some money but its worth it I saw a pretty good top end increase with everything mentioned except the cam.

ariscus99
09-30-2007, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by lj450r

What all is in this kit? Can you show me a link to it?

cthomps07
10-01-2007, 05:09 AM
Its a power up kit from honda. It has a new head pipe, cam, jetting, higher rev limiter and a few other things and it wont void warranty. They are about $300 from your local dealer.

bloodmoney23
10-01-2007, 07:17 AM
you should also be able to pick up HRC Kit on ebay cheaper than your local dealer.

ariscus99
10-02-2007, 10:06 AM
So if I do the HRC kit is there any thing else I should do, someone mentioned removing the top of the filter box and switching to a uni filter, are dry filters better or are oiled filters? Is there any reason or need to change sprockets or anything else. Is there a better exhaust system that I can buy beside's the head pipe that come's with the kit. I've set aside about 1200 dollars for upgrades, but that needs to include paddle tires. Any other ideas? Thanks for all the help people:D

hendershot106
10-02-2007, 01:00 PM
?????????? 300 dollars whaaaaat--- i paid 239 for mine last year, i know they havent went up that much-----

pro-rider46
10-02-2007, 01:36 PM
buy a cam, exhaust, cdi, air filter, and a new piston if your okay with running high octane race fuel. i can give you a link for the hrc kit, very good for the price,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-HONDA-TRX450R-HRC-KIT-04-05-450r-trx-450r-CAM-JETS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43977QQihZ003QQite mZ130157643312QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

reptikes
10-02-2007, 02:42 PM
My buddy has a 700r and i raced him in the 1/8 mile 5 times a couple weeks ago and beat him every time. I have an 04 450r with just a Rossier full exhaust, HRC jet kit, half the air lid box removed, and a UNI air filter. He has a couple things done to his, don't know what exactly. He would probably get me if we raced until we topped out, in the woods i'll get him too. It has a lot to do with the rider.

IMSROLL450R
10-02-2007, 03:28 PM
If his Rappy is stock and you can race worth a crap you should be able to pull on him anyway...........HRC kit will just seal the deal.

300exguy125
10-02-2007, 05:47 PM
yeah you would probally beable to beat a 700 because they are slower reving than the 450r is but hes defently got top end over the 450 just amke sure the drags are short and youll have em for sure

ariscus99
10-02-2007, 06:05 PM
Well we'll mostly be riding in Glamis and Pismo, and the occasionaly riding on Nor Cal trails and what not, I just don't wanna be out on the dune's and not be able to hang, I'm about 75 lbs bigger then he is but I've been riding since I was 5 and can hold my own pretty decently and he's only been on a 660 a handful of times.

IMSROLL450R
10-03-2007, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by ariscus99
Well we'll mostly be riding in Glamis and Pismo, and the occasionaly riding on Nor Cal trails and what not, I just don't wanna be out on the dune's and not be able to hang, I'm about 75 lbs bigger then he is but I've been riding since I was 5 and can hold my own pretty decently and he's only been on a 660 a handful of times.

I wouldnt worry about him then. Just bang gears and get in front of him. Feed the Yami some sand.

ariscus99
10-29-2007, 06:50 PM
would one of those athena big bore kits be worth my time? I have the 1200 possibly 1500, I'm thinking big bore, full exhaust, new cam, handlebar raisers and paddle tires. Think this is doable?

charger90
10-30-2007, 08:54 AM
I wouldn't do the big bore just yet. I have an HRC kit and a slip-on on my 07 450er and i drag at the dunes alot. Ive never been beaten by a raptor 700 or 660. Ive raced 700s with duals and programmers and all sorts of mods. I weigh about 260 and these guys were pretty skinny. To me Raptors aren't very good dune bikes. If I were you invest in some Haulers, HRC kit and exhaust and you should have no problem with that Raptor.

chad502ex
10-30-2007, 09:03 AM
last weekend the 471cc DRG did 6.3 seconds in the 500 ft dirt drag....

a 810cc Raptor was only getting 6.1/.2 seconds the same day....

reptikes
10-30-2007, 11:56 AM
Thats exactly why when my engine gets done it's going to DRG. And yes it will be a 470r.

wvdirtdragger
01-10-2008, 06:07 PM
chad502ex:

This is really funny. Because what DRG fails to tell you is a cannondale stomped this 450R at these races. The cannondale also stomped the 810cc raptor. That cannondale is the fastest 4 stroke that has ever ran at tomahawk and is the fastest oem frame 4 stroke i have ever seen. It beats drgs honda everytime he comes to tomahawk. he is from pa. pretty sure it was running 5.9s.

01-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Personally I think a really good mod would be a hrc kit and a slip on pipe, and uni filter. That would make a nice difference.

mymastifftucker
01-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by cthomps07
Its a power up kit from honda. It has a new head pipe, cam, jetting, higher rev limiter and a few other things and it wont void warranty. They are about $300 from your local dealer. When I bought my 07 new last year the dealer told me you COULD NOT OPEN UP THE ENGINE. To install the HRC kit you obviously install a cam. Do different dealers treat the warranty differently?

450rjd
01-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by mymastifftucker
When I bought my 07 new last year the dealer told me you COULD NOT OPEN UP THE ENGINE. To install the HRC kit you obviously install a cam. Do different dealers treat the warranty differently?

It is just that dealer.Your warranty states that you or a dealer has to perform maint ie,adjust valves,change oil,air filter and so on.Dealers are private owned bussinesses if you cant get any service call american honda or get the dealer to install the kit.I did it that way so I knew it would be covered.They only charged 2 hrs labor so it wasn't to bad.

bloodmoney23
01-11-2008, 05:45 PM
just do std mods like everyone said. HRC kit, UNI filter, Full or slip-on exhaust and you wont have a problem with them. Raptors are so fun to mess with and let them think they will win then you pin it and make them look like retards. I think IMO raptors are the poorest built 4 strokes out there. the YFZ on the other hand is a good competitor but I have no respect for the raptor.

jerdenn
01-11-2008, 06:34 PM
I had the HRC Kit put in my 2007 Honda TRX 450ER and It is unbelieveable! It is like giving your atv steroids, without the side affects. This is the best upgrade for the bucks! You don't need an aftermarket exhaust system either. The kit comes with everything to convert your exhaust to that. You can also run with your airbox lid on to prevent anything getting through your filter. The kit says to take it off but I will be leaving mine on. This kit has more horsepower than you could ever use. It's too bad Honda doesn't put this kit in right out of the factory because it is a definite selling point!

pro-rider46
01-11-2008, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by wvdirtdragger
chad502ex:

This is really funny. Because what DRG fails to tell you is a cannondale stomped this 450R at these races. The cannondale also stomped the 810cc raptor. That cannondale is the fastest 4 stroke that has ever ran at tomahawk and is the fastest oem frame 4 stroke i have ever seen. It beats drgs honda everytime he comes to tomahawk. he is from pa. pretty sure it was running 5.9s.

i know of a few quad that chad has built that IM SURE that they can beat 5.9's easy, notice that the 450r is only 471. and stock bore, what did the c dale have done,

chad502ex
01-11-2008, 09:11 PM
its deeper than what this guy says... the cannondale jockey weights about 50lb less than my friend plus the cannon is probally another 50lb lighter machine being aluminum frame than my friends 450r...

even though he crossed the line .1 sec ahead, the engine wasn't impressive with over 50lb jockey advantage and another 50# lighter quad only being .1 sec faster..... 100lb advantage and only .1 sec out front? more impressive for the cheerleaders in the bleachers than it was for any builder understanding the real truth beyond the lights/traps....

engine builders only care about the engines preformance on race day.... its up to the owners (racers) to find small jockeys or lightened setup to keep the setups comparable.... especially when its obvious when my engine would stomp the cannon if the setups and jockey weight were the same or the weight situation was reverse....

kinda bs that these races have no problem limiting displacement into classes, but dont consider the setup having 100lb advantage over others in that class...

thats like giving 10hp back to the cannon being that for every 10# advantage is equivalent to 1hp

100lb = 10hp.... gave him 10hp advantage and only finished .1 sec ahead? that was a weak engine the cannon had imo... nice setup and light jockey, but weak engine...

GIXXER1KR
01-11-2008, 09:24 PM
***ONDALE i didnt know those even existed anymore!!!:D

01-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by lj450r

Yeap HRC it makes the TRX450r amazing. It will whoop on all the other 450's and most likely the raptors too.

wvdirtdragger
01-11-2008, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by chad502ex
its deeper than what this guy says... the cannondale jockey weights about 50lb less than my friend plus the cannon is probally another 50lb lighter machine being aluminum frame than my friends 450r...

even though he crossed the line .1 sec ahead, the engine wasn't impressive with over 50lb jockey advantage and another 50# lighter quad only being .1 sec faster..... 100lb advantage and only .1 sec out front? more impressive for the cheerleaders in the bleachers than it was for any builder understanding the real truth beyond the lights/traps....

engine builders only care about the engines preformance on race day.... its up to the owners (racers) to find small jockeys or lightened setup to keep the setups comparable.... especially when its obvious when my engine would stomp the cannon if the setups and jockey weight were the same or the weight situation was reverse....

kinda bs that these races have no problem limiting displacement into classes, but dont consider the setup having 100lb advantage over others in that class...

thats like giving 10hp back to the cannon being that for every 10# advantage is equivalent to 1hp

100lb = 10hp.... gave him 10hp advantage and only finished .1 sec ahead? that was a weak engine the cannon had imo... nice setup and light jockey, but weak engine...

DRG you are nuts. That guy takes that cannondale all over the place and wins all the time. As far as ur honda being heavier id say its lighter. the jocky is lighter but not 50 lbs lighter. there were guys saying that the cannondale made 65 hp on a dyno and they said it was only a 480. No way that motor is weak id say its one of the fastest 450s out there on gas. Looks like you better start workin on a way to beat the bikes you race against instead of just telling everyone you beat them on the internet.
BTW... that honda has never ran 6.0 so it was alot more than .1

chad502ex
01-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by wvdirtdragger
DRG you are nuts. That guy takes that cannondale all over the place and wins all the time. As far as ur honda being heavier id say its lighter. the jocky is lighter but not 50 lbs lighter. there were guys saying that the cannondale made 65 hp on a dyno and they said it was only a 480. No way that motor is weak id say its one of the fastest 450s out there on gas. Looks like you better start workin on a way to beat the bikes you race against instead of just telling everyone you beat them on the internet.
BTW... that honda has never ran 6.0 so it was alot more than .1

a honda being lighter than a cannon? you aught to put your drugs away before your busted...

you know good and well that cannon weighs less and the jockey only weighs about a buck 50 compared to my friends 200+,... get real.... and it being a 480cc against a 470 100lbs lighter and only pulling .1 second faster? see what I mean about that engine being less than an achievement than his setup is,...

and I dont race, my customers are the ones responsible for the setup,.... if they came to me and ask me to spot 100lbs, I'd say, spray it!

obviously, your one of those cheerleaders I saw that day in the bleachers asking dumbarse questions about what it takes to accel more mass down the track... when it comes to engines,... I'll take a 65hp 471R over a 480 cannon at 65hp anyday...

building more power with less displacement is my preference.... i'll leave cheerleading to the girls...

wvdirtdragger
01-12-2008, 03:10 AM
if i were you my preference would be to win the freakin race.

Sounds like alot of excuses to me.

And enough of this .1 crap...ur honda wasnt runnin no 6.0s. to his 5.9s.

If u said ur honda ran 6.3-6.4 then id say you were tellin the truth.

maticus
01-12-2008, 06:58 AM
not assuming that i know much but im pretty sure that if the DRG was an equal 480 like the cannondale that it would most likely take it.

chad502ex
01-12-2008, 08:56 AM
maticus exactly,....

killing a 810cc raptor isn't an easy thing regardless....

then toss in an ultralight 480cc aluminum cannon with 100lb advantage....

and only be .1sec behind a with a 471R...

I'd say the 471R could easily take it all if the owner worked on lightening up what he has...

just for saying,... have the cannon strap on the weight back on his setup to equal the 471R weight including jockey and see who wins..... you know it!

maybe it would be easy for the honda to obtain an all aluminum frame, custom race a-arm and swinger, and loose 50lbs off the belly.... or I could go big bore on his 471R and easily take it all.... but who really cares,... I'm not on the track racing so how can I control who wins.... excuses? more like the truth... the cannon a 100lb weight advantage...

TURBO-530R
01-12-2008, 09:45 AM
You guys are great. It’s nice to see people backing there friends up at the track and enjoy chatting about it.
Brady has a sweet Cannon Dale you don’t very often see a good looking and a sweet running Cannon out there. I talked to him yesterday and it sounds like he is making a few changes this year .I told him I enjoy racing him and his crew they are good people and fun to hang out with.
I my self don’t plan on making much of a change to my bike. I really enjoy the WV track there are a great bunch of people up there and they are all there to race and have fun win or loose.
More people should come up there this year and race or watch and cheer on your favorite bike/racers .This is a newer up and coming 500 ft dirt drag track and they are all doing a great job running it. Its laid back, allot of fun and the crew who run it are all volunteers and racers too. It’s a nice Family setting and there is also the MX track right next door if Drag is not your thing.
I am sure there will be a bunch of fast stuff running there this year. And I my self enjoy seeing other people set ups that they worked hard on and are proud of.

Hope to see more people there and we can all enjoy the Racing.

Jim

Dave400ex
01-12-2008, 11:05 AM
For $1,000 you could get a full pipe, air filter, take the airbox lid off and rejet, cam, and look into headwork. That's what I would do, and in that order too.

bloodmoney23
01-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Hey 530, where exactly is this track at? Far drive from Ohio? You should be a salesman or something because your last message makes me want to go to that particular track. If you could give me any info or even just track name ill look it up on inet. But back to post.....I got Chads back on this cause to come in and talk crap like that to a builder and only have 3 posts. Thats pretty stupid.

TURBO-530R
01-12-2008, 12:28 PM
http://www.tomahawkmx.com/html/tomahawk_directions.html

I just speak the facts. and when Chads 471 build beat up on my DASA 530 build well that speaks for its self I dont need to sell it .

Look forward to seeing you there. Jim

fastrider450r
01-14-2008, 11:18 PM
well last time we drag raced...my buddy has an 07 raptor 700 with jetting pipe and air filter...i have an 05 honda 450r with jetting pipe air filter and hotcam stage2...he would jump me on the line cause i had sort of bald tires...but once i wound out in first gear then it was all over in 100 yd. drag i had a good 8 bike lengths on him... we both have HMF pipes...im not sure what else he has but for mine its got HMF pipe...dynojet jet kit..(haha yeah its easy to install and quick...make fun) a UNI filter and the stage 2 hotcam...im happy with it

New450r
01-15-2008, 03:14 AM
I ran into a boy with a 700 who wants to race Im not worried at all but then again I have a 470. Chad I have not forgotten about your carb I have to go to Hearing regarding my back thats why I have not gotten a hold of you. But when I do get it is their any thing that you can send with it like race stickers of your company I would like to rep anyone who helps.