PDA

View Full Version : shox

Glenn Keaton
09-30-2007, 06:17 PM
i have asked this question before and to no response ,we dont race nationals and never will, but my son races a DRR 90 and is quite good, the problem is his rear shox is not strong enough , for his weight ( 140) lbs, and i am not buying a expensive rear shox for our monthly hair scrambles, elka too much, fox maybe, i have no other place to turn because we are very much novice, and i thought this was the reason for this forum, was to help out each other, if not sorry

kenjolly
09-30-2007, 06:31 PM
If you dont want to spend the money for new elka's or fox try ebay or the used parts here. My 50lb rider bottoms out his stock shocks. Im sure someone has some used but good rebuildable ones for sale.

You may pay more for a good shock but its going to be a much better and safer.

Remember you get what you pay for.

Glenn Keaton
09-30-2007, 06:39 PM
thanks for the reply, should i measure the shox,extended or how do i know if it will work properly,is a coil over better, or can i use a longer shox for more travel or is not a good idea, i just need a little more info, thanks again

kenjolly
09-30-2007, 06:46 PM
I think you messure center of the eye to center.

Call Gary at G-forceracing.com or mark at hotquads
im sure they will be replying to your post soon.

remember its race

but if you rider is 140lbs you need a shock for sure.

forgiven
09-30-2007, 07:55 PM
I have a works shock that is clearly too much for my 100 lb. rider and would be willing to part with it. PM me for details if you are interested.

hotquads1
10-01-2007, 06:41 AM
Hi glenn ,
do you have the newer 90cc with the plus 2 swingarm ? it will be a red coil.

if so, the first generation shock is stiffer than yours , it will be a silver coil. but as mentioned earlier a 140 lb driver will require an aftermarket shock of some sort for best results. I do not recommend putting a longer shock on the stock suspension. when looking at used shocks inquire about what weight driver it has been set-up for, make sure it is similar. I f you have not yet done so , you need to condsider gusseting your frame or it will crack or break with a driver that large and bottoming out the shock , it is just a matter of time . If we can answer any other questions ,feel free to ask.
marc

forgiven
10-01-2007, 06:59 AM
BTW my works shock was set up for 125 with aggressive MX. It should be real close to what you are looking for. My son is 100 and is pretty aggressive...it is still way too stiff for him while the stock was way too soft. I have to find something in between.

dblacks
10-01-2007, 08:41 AM
even if you find a good used shock you can get it revavled for your riders weight and riding style.

For a 140lb rider you need a good aftermarket shock, frame gusseting and I would look at the fronts as well.

Unfotunately in this sport it costs $ to stay competative and to prevent failure.

Glenn Keaton
10-01-2007, 02:56 PM
ok i got another question now, dont they make just a stiffer coil over, it just seems a little stiff on the pocket to spend this kind of money, just for one little shock, i mean there is not anything wrong with the shock,so why not a different coil over and the drr has the red coils, i thought some of the shox companys had different coils for different situations, please reply

kenjolly
10-01-2007, 04:13 PM
Next time your at the track watch a quad with stock suspension and one with Say elka's. pay attention when they land and you will see why we buy the better shocks. Yes they are pricey but well worth the money you will spend. as some others pointed out you are not far from breaking your frame. your rider's wieght and stock shock wont last very long.

Glenn Keaton
10-01-2007, 04:22 PM
ok so what next, where is the spots on the frame that need extra strength, and does the swing arm need extra bracing, i have heard of some problems with the stock swing arm, this is an 07 model

forgiven
10-01-2007, 04:26 PM
We had a bent one but the new one seems OK but my son hasn't really put it through its paces yet. It may have been a certain lot of them made with some questionable material. If it hasn't bent with your riders weight...you will probably be ok. DRR does real well about standing behind their stuff though.

kenjolly
10-01-2007, 04:27 PM
look at the post called I guess we missed a gusset.

As soon as the new swing arm is available Gary"bulldog"Fallon will post on here im sure.

QuadJunkies
10-02-2007, 12:07 AM
I think everyone has pretty much covered it all.
Its worth the added price tag and safety to make a few upgrades.
As far as gussets... You cant have too many :o lol

Theres some great topics on heres on gussets if you need a better idea on where to start ;)

Glenn Keaton
10-27-2007, 02:28 PM
OK you guys have convinced me , we are buying the elkas with the rezzies , thanks alot

Glenn Keaton
10-28-2007, 05:51 AM
some one said i could use the long travel shock with the stock 44 wide front, (red springs) and some one else said i need DC arms and swinger for this to work, i just need to know exactly what will work for us, i defintly can not afford to open up some new shocks and find out they wont work, because that would make momma really mad at me, i mean really mad LOL, and if anyone would know it is you guys because i know you have been there done that, thanks

Nichols Atvs
10-28-2007, 06:48 PM
Stock suspension will require stand lenght shocks . If you go long travel you need to purchase a long travel a-arm front end and long travel shocks .

Glenn Keaton
10-28-2007, 07:01 PM
yeah i got it now ,thanks

drr5
10-29-2007, 06:01 AM
before you order besure of the shock length you are using, for the stock a arms , the shocks are longer than the traditonal standard travel shocks, ie kasea eton polaris are much shorter than the drr stock shock, i used a set of long travel elkas from our long travel set up of our kasea and had to change the shock mounts and move them due to the shocks being a little shorter than the stock shocks , so make sure you measure twice buy once.

hotquads1
10-29-2007, 08:08 AM
Hi glenn ,
this may give you a clearer picture, the term long travel can refer to the shock or suspension. Most after market shocks , such as Elka will have up to 25 % more travel engineered into the shock , over a stock shock of the same lenth, therefore increasing the travel of your stock suspension parts .
example;
a 13" inch stock DRR shock on a 44 wide a-arm may travel 4.5"
a 13" Elka on a stock 44" wide a-arm may travel 7" with no other changes.
by changing to the long travel suspension parts such as DC a-arms you are able to fit 14" shock and get almost 9" of travel.
marc

drr5
10-29-2007, 09:12 AM
well put marc, even using aftermarket shox with the stock a arms is an improvement

Glenn Keaton
10-29-2007, 02:19 PM
iam ready, and excited to get the elkas,so who has a pocket ful of money and i should have no problems , i could give my firstborn, but then i would have to ride the DRR, 6 ft. 3 in, and 240lbs would not be a pretty site, thanks to all of you guys for the great info