PDA

View Full Version : ticking noise

TRX-330
09-30-2007, 05:48 PM
ok well since i got my stuff rebuilt and putt back together we adjusted the timing off in the front butt got it adjusted to the right settings. after riding it for a day it sounded good, went and started it up today and its making a ticking nose like the vales need adjusted should i check and see if thats what it is or could it be something with the timing. i kno i got the cam and sproket set right butt idk about the adjuster thing or if something else is wrong, butt all the help is worth while.
Thanks guys

honda300EXtreme
09-30-2007, 06:09 PM
it sounds like it your valves

if it is the tensioner it will cause slack and it will allow the engine to jump time and it probably wouldnt start, not to mention it would make a noise that is more like a knock,

same thing happened to me today after i installed a new cam,

so i would start with the valves...

TRX-330
09-30-2007, 06:44 PM
ight thanks and if its them sould i tighten them more then i did before.

dork
09-30-2007, 08:13 PM
check them again, cold, and see if the clearances have changed. if they are ok and you have the tensioner set right and the cam sprocket bolts tight, then remember that you will hear a bit more ticking with a performance cam, especially when cold, due to the more aggressive ramps of the cam lobes.

TRX-330
10-01-2007, 02:33 PM
well i checked the valves and they are set right so i dont think anything is wrong. im prolly just makeing it sound worse cuz i dont wanna **** it up again anytime soon haha.
butt ya i kno how to do all this stuff now my the rebuild, i feel sweet now lol.

exman
10-01-2007, 04:17 PM
1. adjust rockers/valves,,,rotate around a few times check again,,,and then do it again

2. still doing it,,,take top cover off and pull up on timming chain,,,no play up or down at all,,,zero

3. if no play,,,check tensioner,,,pull it out,,,and then see if you can push it in with force,,,should not move

4. if all of the above is good,,,then check valves,,,take rocker off,,,and push down on each valve by both palms,,,sometimes valves will stick down a tad,,,gives you good reading when adjusting rockers/ valves,,but when turning fast when engine is running they can slightly stick open

TRX-330
10-02-2007, 01:32 PM
what do you mean by rotate around a few times check again.