PDA

View Full Version : ever contact these companies, for an 86/87mm 250x piston?

250X_project
09-30-2007, 09:27 AM
Anyone ever contact these companies?

ProFab

FST (four Stroke Tech)

Turtle Racing

TC Racing

Hetrick

I have an 86mm piston (w/ stock pin) in my "250X", and would like to re-bore the sleeve 1mm. I KNOW these pistons were once made, but are now very hard to find. These are the only companies I have left to try. And they are also hard to get a hold of. I have the number for all of them, and have tried calling all, but Hetrick.
I have heard of the 86mm kits from all of them except Hetrick, but they are supposed to be good for 300EX's.
So if anyone could find either size for me I would appreciate it greatly. I could easily get another sleeve. I have had this project on hold for MUCH too long! Please help!

dork
09-30-2007, 08:25 PM
so you're still searching for a piston ?

i've talked to TC and FST, FST only answers calls from 5-7 i think. i guess powroll said your on your own, huh? have you measured the piston to cyl. clearance? maybe you can get by with just rings? you can try Curtis Sparks, he used to build those up big like yours. what is your compression height on the piston, is it the same as the 250x/300ex? you could resleeve for a 80 or 83 piston, or swap out the rod and run FST 86/87 pistons. or call JE $$ and get some customs made, i think they will do a min. of 4, then sell the rest on here:D

250X_project
10-01-2007, 06:44 AM
Would TC be able to help? And FST only sells the 19mm pin application? I think I could and may have to,run new rings. I just wanted to freshen it up, with everything else new. I want to get rid of the scratches in the cyl also. I was able to contact Sparks, and he no longer makes these. I know I could always go smaller :ermm: I could go with an FST rod (how much$$?).. Is it a 400EX rod? I have the same stroke as a 400 and that is the same pin size. Yeah, JE will make me 4, for a little under 1,000, i believe. You think enough people (3) would want these, if I got the sleeve and bigger head gasket too, and sold it as a complete big bore kit? What would you personally do? Thanks!

RichM1983
10-01-2007, 01:55 PM
I had the same trouble you have. I purchased a 250x that had an 86mm piston in it but the sleeve was really worn. I tried new rings with no luck, rings from a 400ex actually. The piston was a JE piston. I called them and they didnt make them but said they could do a run of 4 for $700 or so. I called FST and they sell everything I needed to make it work. An 87mm piston with the bigger pin though, mine uses the stock pin so that wasnt an option because of the cost. If you wanted you could get their 87mm piston and the bigger rod and then just have the rod put on your crank. I believe the piston kit and rod would cost you less than $400 but I cant remember exactly. I think the rod was from an older ATC or something. I cant remember for sure though.

dork
10-01-2007, 03:08 PM
FST uses a vesrah big red 250es/250sx con rod(122mm) for the 300ex 86/87 kits with stock 300ex stroke. stock 300 rod is 122.5, so the FST piston has a longer compression height to make up the .5. now if you have a 70mm stroke and stock 'crushed' powroll rod, your rod length should be at 120. so if you run the 122 rod your piston would be 2mm higher and you'd need a shorter piston to compensate. now i don't know if FST accounts for this by using a different rod for the 250x or the same rod as the 300 with a shorter compression height piston? fwiw the 86 300ex piston i installed was wiseco and was nice and light with short skirts.

2muchquad
10-01-2007, 03:57 PM
Im running the 86mm kit from pro fab,i emailed him a while back and he still had a few kits left over.Its not pro fab anymore but he still does stuff from his house.I can get you the number if you like.Or just order a set of 86mm rings from Je to freshen it up.If you have the je piston like i do,just order a set of rings xc8600 i believe.;) The fst kit you have to get a whole new rod assembly altogether due to the larger wristpin,i had a vesrah installed while mine was being built and its the same size as stock,i havent had a problem with it yet.

RichM1983
10-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by 2muchquad
Im running the 86mm kit from pro fab,i emailed him a while back and he still had a few kits left over.Its not pro fab anymore but he still does stuff from his house.I can get you the number if you like.Or just order a set of 86mm rings from Je to freshen it up.If you have the je piston like i do,just order a set of rings xc8600 i believe.;) The fst kit you have to get a whole new rod assembly altogether due to the larger wristpin,i had a vesrah installed while mine was being built and its the same size as stock,i havent had a problem with it yet.

Can you get the piston from JE? I called and they didnt have it. If you have a part number that would be great.

250X_project
10-01-2007, 09:18 PM
RichM1983- Did you sell your engine on eBay or do you still have it?

dork- Thanks for the info. Now Wiseco makes an 86mm piston for a 300EX??

2muchquad- When is the best time to call Scott, from "ProFab"? I tried but had no luck, also is 740-654-0734? He never answers emails either. :ermm:

Also I have the part # for the 86mm piston, but the guy I talked to said it was "custom."

dork
10-01-2007, 10:44 PM
wiseco makes the pistons custom to FST specs, just like the JE's.

2muchquad
10-02-2007, 06:51 AM
He is going to school so he doesnt have as much time,he told me to contact him in the evening..I'll pm you his house number

250X_project
10-02-2007, 08:23 AM
dork- Okay, I see what you mean. Thanks again.

2muchquad- Thanks, I'd apreciate that. I'm working evenings so I can call him from work and hopefully get a hold of him.