PDA

View Full Version : any 05 owners without crank bearing issues?

triplejay30349
09-29-2007, 05:10 PM
im thinking about getting my fiance' a left over 05 trx450r. a dealer near me has a couple left for $4400. im just wondering are there any 05 owners without crank bearing issues? do the bearings go on just the modded motors? we probably wont do more than exhaust and airbox lid off. also it'll be a trail bike only

WB450r
09-29-2007, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by triplejay30349
im thinking about getting my fiance' a left over 05 trx450r. a dealer near me has a couple left for $4400. im just wondering are there any 05 owners without crank bearing issues? do the bearings go on just the modded motors? we probably wont do more than exhaust and airbox lid off. also it'll be a trail bike only

i have an 05 and i havent had any crank bearing issues... but ive heard that the 04/05 were known for there crank bearing issues....but ive also heard that a lot of ppl have crank bearing problems....

pro-rider46
09-29-2007, 05:25 PM
i think i heard that the late 05s were updated, but not 100% sure, i have not had any issues with mine and it has about 200 hrs on it

Sjorge450R
09-29-2007, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
i think i heard that the late 05s were updated, but not 100% sure, i have not had any issues with mine and it has about 200 hrs on it

me also. I have over a 100 hours but no more than 200 andim going strong (knock on wood). Then again, i did get a left over 05 so i think that may be why.

N300exJ
09-29-2007, 06:30 PM
I have a late year 05 450r and it took 14 months before it let go the first time. second time with alot of mods was 6 months. granted these are hard racing hours so yeah the harder you are on it the faster it lets go. But it will happen to all of them eventually. I dont care who you are or how easy you ride its gonna happen some day. Theres only one 450r around here that hasnt let loose and its cause its stock and gets ridden only a few times a year. LOL!!

Honestly if its gonna just be a trail machine with only exhaust and an air filter get something newer. 06's and up throw rod bearings as well but wayyyy less than 04/05's.

And another note there is no update that fixes this. it will happen over and over again till you fix it and sell it for something diff/better.

I bought another complete engine so when one blows i fix the other one and swap em when the one in the quad lets go. only way to have no downtime is two engines. one always fresh and ready to go.

triplejay30349
09-29-2007, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by N300exJ
I have a late year 05 450r and it took 14 months before it let go the first time. second time with alot of mods was 6 months. granted these are hard racing hours so yeah the harder you are on it the faster it lets go. But it will happen to all of them eventually. I dont care who you are or how easy you ride its gonna happen some day. Theres only one 450r around here that hasnt let loose and its cause its stock and gets ridden only a few times a year. LOL!!

Honestly if its gonna just be a trail machine with only exhaust and an air filter get something newer. 06's and up throw rod bearings as well but wayyyy less than 04/05's.

And another note there is no update that fixes this. it will happen over and over again till you fix it and sell it for something diff/better.

I bought another complete engine so when one blows i fix the other one and swap em when the one in the quad lets go. only way to have no downtime is two engines. one always fresh and ready to go.

if this is the case i think we'll just end up going with our other option and just get her a 250r b/c i dont wanna go through rebuilding the motor so often

N300exJ
09-29-2007, 07:21 PM
Why not a 400ex? Itll run forever

triplejay30349
09-29-2007, 07:56 PM
i've thought about a 400ex but i'll probably be riding the quad more often than her :devil: (get the picture), so i kinda want something with pretty good stock power

400exrider707
09-30-2007, 10:13 AM
I've never had crank bearings go on mine... it was the rod bearing. It only went because my younger brother was riding more or less WOT all day long on the ice. I rebuilt it and put in new crank bearings. Almost through the whole MX season now and still no troubles. I ride it relatively hard.

Its important to remember that this quad was made for racing, so was the motor, and so you should know that a race motor requires more maintainence than a sport quad. Simple. If you want a fun machine that requires no excessive maintainence, get the 400ex.

quadwanter
09-30-2007, 01:38 PM
my '05 was actually made in '04 which were the models that had the bearing issues. I mainly trail ride but i do drag race and i have 0 problems, if you got it i would say just change the oil and filter often to lessen the chance of any engine failures.

TWILES
09-30-2007, 03:09 PM
I bought an 04 new in 2004 and never had a problem. I sold it to a boy earlier this year and I guess it hasn't given him any problems. My wife just kind of putted around on it but it was in the rev-limiter or right at it every time I got on it and it ran just like it did when I bought it when I sold it. I wouldn't be scared to get one. Unless you really bump up the compression you'll probably never think about it again. For that price, I'd buy it and the HRC kit for it and enjoy. If you don't get the HRC kit you won't like it. If you really like them without the HRC kit I'd save my money and get a 400ex....there's not much difference.

For what its worth, my wife actually liked my buddy's YFZ better. The motors are completely different and you can get a lot more power out of the Yamaha for less money. I liked the Honda better but it cost way too much to get the 04/05's up to speed for me.

Jersey450R
09-30-2007, 03:13 PM
3 years exactly riding the piss out of it twice a week on average...no problems...early 05'

rap169
09-30-2007, 03:42 PM
i have an early 04 with three years of xc racing. I rebuilt the top, not because it needed it but becasue i wanted to, and the bottom end is still all stock. So far its still good. No problems at all. I change my oil every other race with amsoil.

triplejay30349
09-30-2007, 03:57 PM
400exrider707 i wouldnt mind tearing the quad down to the frame and rebuilding.i went to school for motorcycle technology ;) if that lets ya know if i mind doing reg. maintenance

Originally posted by TWILES
My wife just kind of putted around on it but it was in the rev-limiter or right at it every time I got on it and it ran just like it did when I bought it when I sold it. I wouldn't be scared to get one. Unless you really bump up the compression you'll probably never think about it again. For that price, I'd buy it and the HRC kit for it and enjoy. If you don't get the HRC kit you won't like it. If you really like them without the HRC kit I'd save my money and get a 400ex....there's not much difference.

thats exactly what i had planned on doing. pick up the leftover 05 and tell them to add the hrc kit before it leaves out the front door.my last quad was a predator and it felt like it had decent power but was too hefty so i kinda want to stray away from the 400's to see what the 450's are really about. then again it is supposed to be her quad. im stuck on only 2 wheels right now but i plan on picking up a 250r sooner or later;)

TWILES
09-30-2007, 06:41 PM
I'm getting my wife a Blaster when I come across a good one priced right. I think she will like that better. The 450 was not what either of us were expecting or wanting(the 06/07's were though). She can tinker with the Blaster and its not heavy + she can ride a 2-stroke really good. I had a Banshee when we got together and she could get around pretty good on it. Another 4-stroke of any kind is just more than I want to spend on something she won't ride 10 times a month. I had a 250R about 8 years ago and I would like to have another but parts are getting to be non-existant and I'm not into "vintage" projects. If I was, I'd get another 500 Suzuki and a 250. I loved my 500.

quadracer505
09-30-2007, 08:38 PM
I have a 04 no problems. I love it. 4400 is a good deal too I would get it.

triplejay30349
10-01-2007, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by TWILES
Another 4-stroke of any kind is just more than I want to spend on something she won't ride 10 times a month.

im not really worried about that because if i go riding and shes not there i'll be on it :D . ok, lets just say this gives me an excuse to have two quads and not get in trouble about it :devil:

bloodmoney23
10-01-2007, 07:02 AM
I got my 05 in 06 and I aint had a problem yet. Mod wise though I am still stock. But bike runs like I just bought it. and it has over 200 hrs. And yes 4400 is a great deal mine was 7300 in hawaii.

Vade
10-02-2007, 03:58 PM
i say go for it and just get the 3 year warranty

triplejay30349
10-02-2007, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Vade
i say go for it and just get the 3 year warranty

thats what i was wondering. will the extended warranty cover the bearing problem? i dont mind doing the bearing change if it'll fix it but i dont want to have to tear into the bottom end to do bearings every few months :mad:

250xridamatt
10-02-2007, 07:43 PM
Only get the warranty if you are going to keep it stock. A lot of dealerships try to get out of doing warranty work if you have any kind of mods on it, or if they think it has been really abused.

triplejay30349
10-02-2007, 11:28 PM
isnt the hrc kit covered under the warranty? that and a slipon is pretty much all i plan to do

atvtrailer
10-05-2007, 02:21 PM
I have an early 05 and have about 1500 hours on it and its still running strong, only part i have had to replace was the clutch at about 1000 hours. Motor wise the bike is completely stock, i just check/adjust the valves every 50 hours and change the oil every other ride. i mainly ride/race xc so the hours are hard riding

Originally posted by triplejay30349
isnt the hrc kit covered under the warranty? that and a slipon is pretty much all i plan to do

Yes it is still covered under warranty, most dealerships will try and tell you it isn't though. I had my friend with the hcr kit and a slipon and the dealership was telling him that voided his warranty and he ended up contacting somewhat higher up than the dealership and they said that it doesn't void the warranty so he got his problem fixed.

tank69
10-05-2007, 02:38 PM
I only have the HRC Kit, full Sparks Exhaust and rejet. I change my oil after every 100 miles. I just got done doing 500 HARD miles on my TRX pre-running the BAJA 1000 course and I haven't had any problems. I don't puss my quad, I ride it as hard as I am able to. If you change your oil regularly and don't go super high compression/overbore/stroker/etc., that will extend the life of the bearings. If/when mine go, I'm replacing with stock parts.

mcleod
10-05-2007, 08:37 PM
i just bought a 2005, and im wondering if putting a hot rod stroker crank will solve the bearing probleme? you make me almost regret my purchase lol

what is the real cause of that, poor oil pressure? un-balanced crankshaft? poor bearing quality? or is it only dump people running dirty air filter and don't change oil frequently?

tank69
10-05-2007, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by mcleod
i just bought a 2005, and im wondering if putting a hot rod stroker crank will solve the bearing probleme? you make me almost regret my purchase lol

what is the real cause of that, poor oil pressure? un-balanced crankshaft? poor bearing quality? or is it only dump people running dirty air filter and don't change oil frequently?

Not sure if it's in this thread or another, but the hot rods cranks are not lasting as long as the OEM ones. You may want to search on it.

hawk-trx
10-05-2007, 11:20 PM
i have two 04s one is still on the stock piston the other has had 2 top end changes. (one when i built it up and the other just for servise)
both are getting top ends soon (once a year weather they need it or not)

anyway no bearing issues with either.

400exrider707
10-05-2007, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by tank69
Not sure if it's in this thread or another, but the hot rods cranks are not lasting as long as the OEM ones. You may want to search on it.

Agreed, my buddy got maybe 3 races out of his hotrods setup and the crank bearing that came with the hot rods is the one that let go. May have been a fluke, but definitely put a bad taste in my mouth.

mcleod
10-06-2007, 03:04 PM
so what cause this failure? nobody make a better bearing for that application?

exrider44
10-07-2007, 08:13 AM
I have had no issues so far on my 04 knock on wood.

mcleod
10-15-2007, 12:43 AM
i have my answer!

rod stroke ratio is better in the 2006+ engine!

84mm bore and 64.8mm stroke into 04-05
86mm bore and 62mm stroke into 06+

Nate Dogg #76
10-21-2007, 07:11 PM
Bought my 04 in October of 04. Still running strong after 3yrs of mx racing. Keep air filter clean and oil changed.

woodsracer420
10-21-2007, 08:37 PM
rod locked on mine and you could see were the bearing had "walked around" so it was only matter of time before crank bearing failed

woodsracer420
10-21-2007, 08:40 PM
i know two other guys that locked theres up in the last month, but they dont exactly keep up on oil changes like they should.
I changed mine about every 5 hours or so with fully synthetic.