PDA

View Full Version : 400ex starting probs

dabrowat
09-28-2007, 07:39 PM
I been recently been having trouble starting the 400ex. It takes a few cranks before it will start. I have a manual and i will clean the carb. any suggestions?

REPOMAN
09-28-2007, 07:48 PM
are you using the choke?

dabrowat
09-28-2007, 07:53 PM
yes, i put full choke, it cranks but it wont start. After about 5 or 6 cranks it starts up. Im thinking the carb is clogged. Could it be the spark plug?

REPOMAN
09-28-2007, 08:50 PM
pull the plug and make sure its good. make sure the spark plu wire and boot are in good shape. try giving it a little gas with the choke on while cranking it and see if it fires up quicker. also check and make sure your air filter is clean. i dont think your problem is spark or it most likely wouldnt start at all

Hartman-52
09-28-2007, 08:54 PM
I find that unless its really cold out, my 2005 400EX starts better without the choke on or only 1/4 on. Also, make sure your tranny is in neutral since there seems to be some grabbing even with the clutch fully pressed that makes it difficult for the starter to crank as fast as when in neutral. It's very difficult to start mine when cold if I have it in gear but it fires very easy when in neutral.

I also just bought a 2004 Kawasaki KFX 400 and I must say that without any bias towards Honda or Kawasaki (since I have one of each), that the Kawasaki starts far easier and also has a very silky shifting tranny compared to the Honda 400EX. Hitting neutral on the KFX is like butter compared to the Honda 400EX. On the EX, I found that with just a little reving of the throttle, it becomes quite easy to hit neutral. The KFX also has a clutch that requires about 1/2 the pull effort compared to the Honda for some reason.

04blasterkid
09-28-2007, 10:15 PM
no way half as easy, atleast mine lol, because if mine was anyeaiser it would go in and out on bumps

i just put chain lube on the cable, and where it goes into motor.. it pulls so smooth and easy..

Pipeless416
09-28-2007, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by 04blasterkid
no way half as easy, atleast mine lol, because if mine was anyeaiser it would go in and out on bumps

i just put chain lube on the cable, and where it goes into motor.. it pulls so smooth and easy..

you've been brainwashed to believe a 400ex clutch is easy lol. z/kfx owners dont know how lucky they really are. anyway, i would start exactly how you said.. clean the carb. also, pull your plug out and see if its soaked when it wont start.

Quad-Handler#2
09-29-2007, 05:49 AM
Honda's have been cold blooded since the early year's, I guess its an even trade for there reliability. I just give the throttle a couple pumps before I hit the start button,fires right up. With the cooler weather it takes a little more choke action.