PDA

View Full Version : 450r motor mods?

redexrider4290
09-28-2007, 11:47 AM
I have a 04 450r with a fatboy4 full exauhst and k&n filter and rejetted carb well i want more power but i really wont to keep the bike RELIABLE well this is what i was thinking

Curtis Sparks 12:1 pump gas piston
stage 2 Hotcam
ESR airbox eliminator kit

do you think these mods will work good together and how much do you guys think it would cost in labor at a dealorship to get the cam and piston put in

thanks, I really apreciate any info

xcracer416
09-28-2007, 01:50 PM
i would go with the sparks cam instead of the stage 2 hc

XXXRACER165
09-28-2007, 03:21 PM
Don't forget to have the head ported!:D

bloodmoney23
09-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Well in Ohio, if you had a dealer do this, parts an labor your looking at over 1,000. To order the parts yourself and have a friend that knows what hes doing help you.....youll save at least 300-400. Will it work together.....Not sure I aint done nothing to mine yet.

redexrider4290
10-01-2007, 11:45 AM
how good is the sparks cam where can i expect to see the power increase( mid,top, bottom)?

i have no idea but i would think they would work good together wouldn't they?

i think i can get the piston,cam for about $350 would it realy cost over $600 to get a dealorship put them in

IMSROLL450R
10-01-2007, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by redexrider4290
how good is the sparks cam where can i expect to see the power increase( mid,top, bottom)?

i have no idea but i would think they would work good together wouldn't they?

i think i can get the piston,cam for about $350 would it realy cost over $600 to get a dealorship put them in

A dealership is going to rape you on a piston and cam install. I would find someone with at least SOME knowledge and have them help you do it.

redexrider4290
10-02-2007, 10:21 AM
i have absolutely no idea how to install either my brother can install a piston and cam on a car but i don't know if he could on a quad (not sure how different they are) i don't know anything about cam timeing or anything.

to instal a piston do you just take the old one out and put the new one in or is there other adjustments you need to make

bloodmoney23
10-02-2007, 10:25 AM
well piston is unbelievably easy. cam is a little tougher but not bad. Just buy the clymer which gives step by step instructions and it has pictures! so when all done you have a coloring book too! That was a joke, sorry. But yeah, get a clymer and someone with mechanical knowledge and you are golden. Well not golden but richer than you would be if u took it to a dealer.

redexrider4290
10-04-2007, 09:42 AM
whats a clymer?

pro-rider46
10-08-2007, 01:07 AM
its called a clymer service manual

and if you brother know a thing or two, this write up should be a good help. your brother should be ok to get teh cam out of the carrier, http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=284416

tank69
10-08-2007, 01:18 AM
I've got the following and it's plenty fast for me. If you want power, you're going to have to sacrifice some reliability. Honestly, I don't think you going to notice a huge difference with the HC piston and cam. The most noticable increase in power was when I added the Sparks system. I thought there was something wrong with me, but another friend who rode my bike prior said it felt like a different bike.

Have you considered gearing a little taller? I'm dropping down a few teeth on the rear as I need a little more top end speed for desert racing. I hate it when my motorcycle friends blow by me at 110 when I'm doing a measley 80! ;)

Sparks full System
HRC Cam
rejet
HRC Airbox Lid
Rejetted

redexrider4290
10-09-2007, 09:54 AM
i don't reall y want a bunch more top end speed i mean maybe a little but i just really want the bike to accelerate faster and have more power all around

so if i get the hotcam and the 12:1 piston i won't really notice any more power?

cthomps07
10-09-2007, 10:55 AM
You will see an increase whether it was worth all the money it is going ot cost for labor is what you really need to know. I have seen many people on here say you will see a big difference in these quads with a new cam. I will be putting the hc2 in mine in a month or so. I put a Rossier exhaust,unifilter,outerwears cover, and the hrc cdi sub harness in mine and it was a whole new machine. Have less than 400 invested too. I think you will see the biggest increase in the cam. I dont know about the piston mine runs that compression stock from the factory so I couldnt tell you how that will work out.

redexrider4290
10-09-2007, 11:31 AM
i think i am going to get a cam for now does anyone know how much it will cost at a dealorship to get it put in if i buy the cam

IMSROLL450R
10-09-2007, 11:54 AM
When I still had my warranty I had Honda put the whole HRC kit on my 06 for 100 bucks.

tank69
10-09-2007, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by cthomps07
You will see an increase whether it was worth all the money it is going ot cost for labor is what you really need to know.

THis possibly the truest statement ever made when it comes to modding anything. Well put!

redexrider4290
10-11-2007, 10:13 AM
honda put it in for 100? it shouldn't really be any more for just a cam even if it is a hotcam right?

emerson137
10-11-2007, 11:29 AM
All I got to say is dont piss around with anything untill your crank has been updated. Then just order a 3mm fallcon stroker crank, if you want pump gas find a 11:1 or 12:1, have Chad 502 port your head. stage 2 cam is fine or 02 crf cam is a good one. Call Joe rossiar and buy a pipe from him. remove your air box lid totaly, throw that K&N out in the streat and buy a curtis sparks foam filter kit. jetting is easy 50 pilot, 180-190 depending on conditions. I am just throwing some stuff out there that is safe and relible. Butt the best advice I can give is make sure who ever does your work measures things right, for wear. Also if you do things a little at a time your wasting time and money. Taking it apart and so on. Have fun researching stuff asking questions. and understanding exactly what it is your after.

Steve