PDA

View Full Version : rear axel worn out ?? how to know??

Mercedes
09-28-2007, 10:18 AM
Hi, just took my axel out and was told that it was worn out. My 400EX is a 2006 and I dont know how to check for myself,the guys at the shop could jsut be telling me this so that they sell me an axel. How to know.

NacsMXer
09-28-2007, 10:35 AM
Ask them what they mean by "worn out", that's some really vague terminology :rolleyes:

The only thing that really wears is the splines of the axle where the hubs attach and the splines at the sprocket/brake hub. This would only happen if something was loose and constantly chattering back and forth however. It could be bent too, I would ask them specifically what they mean.

Mercedes
09-28-2007, 10:38 AM
I was told that the spot that the bearings run on was low. There is a loose when you putt the bearings on.

Please do give me some info

TRFOXX
09-28-2007, 10:39 AM
Yeah i cant see a 2006 axle be worn out. They probably ment the axle bearrings. I have a 2001 that has the stock axle still just had to replace the bearrings once. I think they are giving you a line!

Mercedes
09-28-2007, 10:47 AM
Well i just called him up again to be sure and he says that the bearings mount looselly on the axel

chris46250r
09-28-2007, 11:29 AM
If its never had bad or spun bearings in it I just dont see it being worn. Maybe they have the wrong bearings.

Mercedes
09-28-2007, 12:14 PM
Well to be honnest the bearing were very bad shape. there was rust in my bearing holder. I have never gressed them or the axel since i got my bike. Its been about a year now, and I did ride all winter and mudd. I was told that pressure washing was not the best way to go.

09-28-2007, 12:44 PM
he was referring to the axle run-out. that is where the bearings seat to the axle. if it is below spec, the bearings will not seat on the axle. it is hard to beleive this has happened to a less than a year old axle...it happened to my 300ex, but it was 8 years old and there were other factors that had caused excessive axle bearing wear( maxxis sur trac tires on hard pack). when i say excessive, i mean the new bearings were shot in about 5 rides. once that happens, the axle is shot, it needs replaced

to test for this, the axle diameter measured. i am not sure what the correct diameter is for that axle though

Mercedes
10-01-2007, 08:51 AM
Mr.Speedyquad you are right, this is what i was told at the shop.

It is possible I am about 230lbs and i ride the hell out of my 400EX, trails and winter(melts is the garage over night).

I have decided to get the axel cromes arround the bearing runners.

What do you think??