PDA

View Full Version : painting plastic

BYRDMANN12000
09-28-2007, 05:57 AM
has anyone ever painted their fenders on their quad? any suggestions as how to do it right? this is my $800 play blaster,so i'm gonna use spray cans.i know that prep is the key to any paint job turning out fine,but just need some tips.thanks!!

Hookrone
09-28-2007, 06:51 AM
Do a search on Krylon Fusion. Actually works good.

exrider2001red
10-11-2007, 05:23 AM
oh ya we do it all the time with junk play bikes we even painted one john deer green with bright yellow rims. all you have to do is wash the plastics good you can sand then to get all the scratches out then jus spray away

BYRDMANN12000
10-11-2007, 12:00 PM
**update** so,i stripped all the bodywork off and washed with degreaser.then i used a scotch-brite pad and went over the surfaces on the plastic.that light scuffing took the sheen off and gave the paint some "tooth" to adhere to.then i used the Krylon Fusion paint.after it dried i went over it with automotive clear coat to help lock it in,so to speak.everything looks fine and seems to be holding up,nothing flaked off during re-assemble,we'll see what happens this sunday after i go riding.now i have an all black blaster.what genius thought of white fenders on a machine that will see mud and dirt?? still love ya anyway Yamaha!!