PDA

View Full Version : 450r locked up ***PLEASE READ***

creampuff
09-27-2007, 07:08 PM
I have a 2005 450r and I bought the engine off the internet in july. I have had it on my bike for about 2 months now and I have put about 10 to 15 hours on it. When I was riding tonight it died, and it felt a little harder to kick back over but it started then died again. When I went to kick it back over the motor was locked up. It has oil in it and a clean filter. I dont know how many hours are on the engine or what kinda past it has had. I dont know what to look for as far as fixing it or what might have happened. Has any one else had this problem?

TRX450RACER174
09-27-2007, 07:35 PM
Sounds like the crank, pretty common on that year.

creampuff
09-27-2007, 07:37 PM
That means total rebuild huh?

TRX450RACER174
09-27-2007, 07:43 PM
I'm no expert on 04/05 450R's but i am sure someone else will chime in, there was a stickey in this forum or the powertrain about 04/05 cranks.

MX450
09-27-2007, 07:50 PM
Yea the 04/05s had an issue with the crank bearings, you really wont know untill you tear it down, although if you werent riding it hard or anything when it locked up and you didnt hear any breakage when it died then you may be lucky as far as major damage, but again, wont really know until you tear it down, or have someone tear it down if you cant. Any idea on how many hours were on it when you bought it? How did it look, pretty clean/dirty??

If you dont know much about motors, I would suggest looking for a performance shop around your area (ex. nacs, baldwin, hetrick) a place like that that knows quads they will be a better bet than a stealership.

creampuff
09-27-2007, 08:00 PM
The more research I do the more it looks like the rod bearings. I was not being to hard on it tonight. Heck I didnt ever ride for more than 20 minutes and it was game over. Its pretty expensive for a rebuild I think. I dont know of any good places in oklahoma to go to.

KEVIN132
09-28-2007, 06:26 AM
try http://bcsperformance.com jay is awesome .you wont be dissapointed. hes got a dyno and flowbench too
tell him kevin sent you:macho

KEVIN132
09-28-2007, 06:33 AM
ill buy it if its for sale . i got the parts to fix it:rolleyes:

how much as is?? if you decide to sell it:ermm:

gimp419
09-28-2007, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by creampuff
The more research I do the more it looks like the rod bearings. I was not being to hard on it tonight. Heck I didnt ever ride for more than 20 minutes and it was game over. Its pretty expensive for a rebuild I think. I dont know of any good places in oklahoma to go to.

Oklahoma? check out JH racing, they'll hook you up. But yeah your crank is probably the culprit.

jason_david1
09-28-2007, 11:55 AM
a buddy of mine's crank went out. it was not the crank bearing but the rod bearing that was on the crank. it was easier to just replace the whole crank.

IMSROLL450R
09-28-2007, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by gimp419
Oklahoma? check out JH racing, they'll hook you up. But yeah your crank is probably the culprit.

DEFINITELY talk to Johnny at JH Racing he knows his stuff. You might have seen him in some of the older Huevos Videos. He isnt expensive either but I have never heard a bad word about his work. Hes in Owasso.

Rulz
09-29-2007, 07:46 AM
Johnny's rebuilt so many TRX motors he can do it with a blind fold on and one arm tied behind his back! He'll do you right and only replace the items that need replaced, in other words, he won't screw you over. His shop is north of Tulsa outside of Owasso, an area known as German corner. Just make sure you give him $hit about riding green!!

N300exJ
09-29-2007, 06:45 PM
correct answer to your problem. Yes 04/05's all throw the lower rod bearing due to crank walk. The left side case bearing is the problem side most times. upon tearing the motor down you will see no thrust washers left in between the lower rod/crank. And when the left side case bearing is pulled both the outside of the bearing case and hole where it sits will be score up from it walking around. Also the crank its self will leave marks on the sides of the cases. usually half moon shaped.

Once again this happens to all 04/05 450r's. These engines really arent that hard to tear down and rebuild at all. Now is a good time to learn. your looking at say 500 to almost 1000 depending on how much you want to replace and put in new parts. most people just replace the crank and bearings/seals and call it a day.

Jersey450R
09-30-2007, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by N300exJ
Yes 04/05's all throw the lower rod bearing due to crank walk. Once again this happens to all 04/05 450r's. most people just replace the crank and bearings/seals and call it a day.

you seem really sure on this :o

creampuff
09-30-2007, 08:51 PM
Thanks for all your help guys. I guess my only question now is how do I keep this from happening again? I dont mind to spend the money on a fresh rebuilt but I dont want to make a habit of it. When I replace the crank will it fix this problem so it wont happen again?

Turboderf
09-30-2007, 09:26 PM
I just got mine back togeather and iam at 1000 bucks new crank, bearings, piston, rings , cylinder, gaskets, seals, valve job,spring kit, i do mine own work good luck ps 06 trx 450er all stock