View Full Version : knarlys or razrs

LiiL pOpSz
09-27-2007, 05:36 PM
?for trail riding?

09-27-2007, 06:03 PM
maxxis razr

Flynbryan19
09-27-2007, 06:40 PM
I've owned both. The kendas don't come close. Buy some Razrs. For fronts use Razr2's and for the rears use Razr's.

The Kendas are less expensive, but they're not as good of a tire either. I've learned this from experience.

400exrider707
09-28-2007, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19
I've owned both. The kendas don't come close. Buy some Razrs. For fronts use Razr2's and for the rears use Razr's.

The Kendas are less expensive, but they're not as good of a tire either. I've learned this from experience.

Which Kenda did you use? I've noticed quit a variance just in the Kenda line itself... Im not a fan of rear klaws for any riding what so ever. The knarly line is very nice though. If I was an XC guy I would get knarly XC for the rear and klaws for the front.

Flynbryan19
09-28-2007, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Which Kenda did you use? I've noticed quit a variance just in the Kenda line itself... Im not a fan of rear klaws for any riding what so ever. The knarly line is very nice though. If I was an XC guy I would get knarly XC for the rear and klaws for the front.

I've used the Klaw front and rear, Knarly HT's, and the Knarly XC's. Of the three the Knarly XC's were the best, but all of them just corner very poorly. Way too little traction when sliding. Straight line traction was average.

And the front Klaws were a big waste of money. I puntured 3 of them in the span of a year. Side wall puntures too. Not tread punctures. Making the tire worthless. They have very poor bite for cornering too. They just push when you come into the corners.

I have not had the chance to try the new 6ply Klaw fronts though. They look to have a similar tread design to a Razr2.

The Radials I hear have awsome straight line acceleration, but again..... NO side bite.

Its just personal opinion of course, but I just feel Maxxis makes a superior tire. I've never ridden on a tire with such great steering ability. And the rears do very well in a straight line and have very good side bite.

If you want a cheap tire with very average performance the Kendas will be fine. But, if you want any real performance out of your tires I'd recommend Razrs or even the new ITP GNCC tires.

400exrider707
09-28-2007, 11:07 AM
A lot of what you described to me could also be from suspension setup as well... just something to think about.

Flynbryan19
09-28-2007, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
A lot of what you described to me could also be from suspension setup as well... just something to think about.

Not when the setup was identical. And the traits changed simply after changing the tires. Something else to think about. ;)

Flynbryan19
09-28-2007, 01:04 PM
Also, just to be clear...... This was all with XC style tires. I've heard much better stories of performance from the MX line up they offer. ;)

jacobw
09-28-2007, 03:33 PM
i have rode the maxxis razr2 back to back with the kenda claw front and knarley Xc rears and I would take the kendas over the maxxis anyday the fronts steer better than the razr2 and the knarly xc rears dont slide out as much on turns and the forward bite on them is about them same so overall i rate the kendas better and better on your budget.

i have also rode the mx tires they have and they are awesome they hook up good and steer very good.

jacobw
09-28-2007, 03:35 PM
i have rode the maxxis razr2 back to back with the kenda claw front and knarley Xc rears and I would take the kendas over the maxxis anyday the fronts steer better than the razr2 and the knarly xc rears dont slide out as much on turns and the forward bite on them is about them same so overall i rate the kendas better and better on your budget.

Flynbryan19
09-28-2007, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by jacobw

I think you and I have been through this before on another site...... Aren't you sponsored by Kenda?

I'm not sponsored by anyone.

Either way I'm glad your experience with Kenda has been a positive one, but I certainly will never go back. In the end it really doesn't matter to me what this person buys. I'm just passing along my experience. ;)

jacobw
09-28-2007, 03:40 PM
on a side note the razr2 is suppose to be the most unpuncturable tire and i have seen more punctured razrs than you can shake a stick at all tires puncture so stating that you had more of them puncture than another brand states nothing except that on the trail that day you hit more things that cause punctures its just a run of bad luck some have good luck having no flats with this tire some have good luck with no flats on another brand of tire they all work good finding a tire is like finding the perfect machine you have to find on that fits your riding personality, some like more side bite some like more slide or more forward bite or whatever

jacobw
09-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19
I think you and I have been through this before on another site...... Aren't you sponsored by Kenda?

I'm not sponsored by anyone.

Either way I'm glad your experience with Kenda has been a positive one, but I certainly will never go back. In the end it really doesn't matter to me what this person buys. I'm just passing along my experience. ;)

mee too:D I am passin on my experience I didnt get sponsored by them till I got a chance to compare them and see what worked better in most racing conditions. dont get me wrong the razrs 2 fronts turn good, but the rears slide out horrible and the thread is stiff and doesnt hook good when it gets slick and rocky, my brother had kendas and now has razr2 and he wants to go back to kenda also i see kenda is finally getting some support on pro row with houston if they threw out the money maxxis does you would see more pros running them.

Flynbryan19
09-28-2007, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by jacobw
mee too:D I am passin on my experience I didnt get sponsored by them till I got a chance to compare them and see what worked better in most racing conditions. dont get me wrong the razrs 2 fronts turn good, but the rears slide out horrible and the thread is stiff and doesnt hook good when it gets slick and rocky, my brother had kendas and now has razr2 and he wants to go back to kenda also i see kenda is finally getting some support on pro row with houston if they threw out the money maxxis does you would see more pros running them.

In fairness to Kenda I do have to say that I have not tried the new 6ply front Klaw.