PDA

View Full Version : Popped off chain = BAD!! help please

Flyin-Low
09-27-2007, 03:42 PM
Gah, I haven't even been riding my new build for very long now.. And already something is broken :(

I was doing some hill climbs today with 3 or 4 feet of pretty much vert, so the only option is to launch the top and land flat.. well I did that and was probably 4 feet in the air and landed when the back end locked up.

Looked down to find my chain off the rear sprocket and jammed between my swinger and front sprocket..

Now how the heck am I suppose to put the case saver back on!?

Scro
09-27-2007, 05:08 PM
This happened to me. The bottom could probably either be tapped or helicoiled. For the top, there were enough threads left that I could use a longer bolt and a couple washer between the case and the case saver.

Other than that, a new center case:(

Dave400ex
09-27-2007, 05:30 PM
Just happened to me a few months ago and I had to get a new case. Get a Moose poly case saver and it shouldn't happen again.

ricksmx865
09-27-2007, 05:34 PM
this just happend to me too..... luckily it didnt damage my case

i had to carefully cut mine out tho

09-28-2007, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
Just happened to me a few months ago and I had to get a new case. Get a Moose poly case saver and it shouldn't happen again.

and why would a Moose Poly case saver be any different?

guys, i've harped about this for years. case savers don't save cases. they damage cases. i believe their name should be changed to sprocket guard or something other than "case saver".

coryatver
09-28-2007, 08:35 AM
poly absorbs impact.

Originally posted by force
and why would a Moose Poly case saver be any different?

guys, i've harped about this for years. case savers don't save cases. they damage cases. i believe their name should be changed to sprocket guard or something other than "case saver".

Dave400ex
09-28-2007, 02:09 PM
The cases usually don't get messed up other then where the case saver mounts. If you have a case saver like the Moose or Holz that contours to the sidecase when the chain comes off it won't be just the bolts holding it and when it hits the case saver the bolts won't snap, or shouldn't. Plus they are poly and it will absorb the hit better then aluminum.

h400exrydr
09-28-2007, 02:20 PM
what you need is a TM Designs chain slider/roller and a TM designs case saver. mine did the same thing and i got the slider and hasnt happened since.

D-7#61-450r
09-29-2007, 08:55 PM
The way I see it was that the case did not break. Just the case saver mounting locations. If you don't like the way case savers are designed then now you get the chance to not run one. truthfully if you would have been miles from home and this happend you may have been able to get home. A hole in the case would have left you stranded. I admit it sucks but the quad is still able to be riden. Just keep good pm on your chain.

450rJam
09-29-2007, 09:02 PM
JB Weld, that stuff is bionic

you can fill the hole and after its hard drill it and tap it new
(or fill the hole, put motor oil on the bolt and push it in, then after its hard back the bolt out)
this is kind of rigging it but its a pretty strong fix (and cheap)

07250ex
09-30-2007, 04:23 PM
id personally prefer to run a case saver because if that chain comes off and hits your leg its gunna wack it off lol