PDA

View Full Version : Just installed new CR ignition and...

speedfreek
09-27-2007, 02:15 PM
I can't tell any difference, honestly. I had my original stator re-wound for higher output a couple of years ago so it was still in pretty good shape, so was my CDI box. Maybe I am expecting too much. I'll give it some ride time..

svahle
09-27-2007, 03:08 PM
I guess I don't understand you comments about the stator. The stator should not really affect the performance unless one of them were bad. The reason people like the CR ignition is because it revs quicker than the stock ignition primarily due to the smaller fly wheel. The CR will stall easier because the fly wheel has less rotating mass. In essence, the fly wheel is easier to get spinning (quicker revs) but is also easier to slow down (stalls easier).

Someone please jump in and correct me if I got something wrong!

RichM1983
09-27-2007, 03:34 PM
I was told the CR gains about 5hp over stock because of the better spark and ignition curves. Plus the CR stator is A LOT smaller and lighter. I guess I could be off on the 5hp but I would think you would feel that much of a gain.

trailwart
09-27-2007, 04:38 PM
it has a better starting curve. also the less rotating mass from smaller flywheel. might be other benifits also??

deathman53
09-27-2007, 06:03 PM
I have them on my 250r's, you can notice a difference, but you have to ride one with and without one on the same day. It has a better curve for more bottom end power and it has a alot of adjustment for the timing, also its alot easier to stall, but gets up and goes, faster too. Basically the cr igntion is for guys that do mx and don't care about lights, for woods riders, a stock weight flywheel flywheel and ignition is a better choice.

speedfreek
09-27-2007, 06:48 PM
I agree that it stalls easier, I felt that. But not the 5hp gain.

speedfreek
09-27-2007, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
it has a alot of adjustment for the timing . I was told not to adjust the timing. I just posted this question with a picture yesturday . What do you know about adjusting the timing on the CR ignition as I would like to get the MOST h.p. out of my bike.
Ok deathman, I just read your post about adjusting the timing. If I put the top bolt in the middle of the slot, that's where it would be if I didnt slot the bottom hole? Guess I'll leave it in the middle.

deathman53
09-27-2007, 07:58 PM
I have the esr adapter plate, it doesn't have a slot in the bottom, just one on top. What I was told by esr was to put the top slot in the middle and leave it that way, you really don't want to advance the timing, much, unless you like detonation.

guggi102
10-08-2007, 05:35 PM
I have never heard of a cr ignition gaining 5 hp. A 5 hp increase on a machine that only has somewhere in the 30's to begin with is a HUGE jump anyway. Its more for the adjustablity and strength of the ignition that it is used for.