PDA

View Full Version : Dial-A-Jet Works or Bull?

Jdedad
09-27-2007, 02:09 PM
Anyone have and experience with a Dial-a-jet ??? http://www.thunderproducts.com/dial_a_jet.htm

mattg324
09-27-2007, 08:05 PM
sounds good, maybe too good.

JOEX
09-27-2007, 08:14 PM
It's been around for at least a few years but haven't heard much feedback on how well it works:ermm:

dariusld
09-27-2007, 08:20 PM
Dirtwheels did a review and said it was good. I think its mainly for people that have to rejet alot.:confused:

Hondamaster5505
09-27-2007, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by dariusld
Dirtwheels did a review and said it was good. I think its mainly for people that have to rejet alot.:confused:

Yeah, dirtwheels did do a test of one, and what do you know, on a 400ex!

They supposedly said it is great, and It's mainly for changing jetting for different elevations.

Its basically a spinner with different main jets to select different sizes. I was thinking of getting one because when you first install a pipe, you never know what jet to use. 42 pilot is always fine, but the main jet is always trickier. but with dial-a-jet, You can play with your main jet without having to take your carb off+apart everytime. Hope i helped.

-eric

Jdedad
09-28-2007, 12:49 AM
Well I will let you know in a week or two, I found one on e-bay for $50 sounds to good to be true I know the feeling, however I read a few articles about it is was invented in the 70's by a land speed recorder holder PhD back then they knew a few things about carbs no one had fuel injection. my opinion as a Engineer and ex Honda mechanic is it can only help things the main idea is the small well mixed fuel should flow faster feeding the motor till the bigger slower jet fuel catches up. I don't think there will be any gains but I believe there should be better smoother throttle response and even power band?

chris46250r
09-28-2007, 05:55 AM
If I was an ex Honda mechanic I would just jet it correctly instead of using a jetting band-aid.

Hondamaster5505
09-28-2007, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Jdedad
Well I will let you know in a week or two, I found one on e-bay for $50 sounds to good to be true I know the feeling, however I read a few articles about it is was invented in the 70's by a land speed recorder holder PhD back then they knew a few things about carbs no one had fuel injection. my opinion as a Engineer and ex Honda mechanic is it can only help things the main idea is the small well mixed fuel should flow faster feeding the motor till the bigger slower jet fuel catches up. I don't think there will be any gains but I believe there should be better smoother throttle response and even power band?

Like i said in my above post, ITS NOT MENT TO GAIN POWER!
Its ment for people who ride in diferent elevations all the time, and thats so they can re-jet for different elevations instead of tearin the whole ****** carb apart.
I also thought it can also be used for changing jetting when you pipe a quad, so that once you put the pilot in, usually you just adjust the main. Therefore you wont have to pull the carb off everytime to tune it, which is a pain is the ******!

If you dont have any mods at all, i wouldn't bother unless you go from mountain riding to lower-lever riding, stock jetting is the best for stock motors.

And a tip, a slightly leaner-running motor makes more power, but its not good for the motor, and the motor will generally hurt itself, so jetting a stock motor with stock intake and exhaust, you'll probably end up losing power..

F-16Guy
09-29-2007, 01:30 PM
I live north of Salt Lake City, and we ride in elevations between 4,000-11,000 feet. I can tell you that it does work, but it's not a magic bullet; you still have to get your main jet, pilot jet, and needle set correctly. The only difference is that you'll be using a smaller main jet and probably richening the needle a hair. Once you get it set up with the Dial-a-Jet installed, fine tuning for different altitude and/or weather takes all of about 30 seconds, and can be done out on the trail with just the flat-blade screwdriver in your tool kit. It's definitely worth the money if you live where I do, and it's also handy just to play with in different riding spots. Installation took about 30 minutes, not including getting the jetting dialed in.

Rip_Tear
09-29-2007, 02:44 PM
I am pretty sure that Pappy used it on one of his machines at one point, just as a test.

It's a great tool for constant changes in elevation, temp, mods, etc. If you want to change up a bunch of parts and see how well they work together dial a jet works great so you don't need to take a ton of time working the carb.

project400ex19
09-30-2007, 12:14 AM
I have one, it just sits in the bottom of my toolbox b/c it was a fluke for my application. I do not ever have to rejet so I have no need for it. I tried it, didn't make a difference, even on a dyno it didn't make a difference...Don't waste your money in my opinion.

gcart2
09-30-2007, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by project400ex19
I have one, it just sits in the bottom of my toolbox b/c it was a fluke for my application. I do not ever have to rejet so I have no need for it. I tried it, didn't make a difference, even on a dyno it didn't make a difference...Don't waste your money in my opinion.

you are 1 of the dumbest ppl i have met in 1 of these threads. we no it makes no hp. its for quick adjust and thats what he says he needs.

ps: try reading before you bash someone/thing

Jdedad
09-30-2007, 04:24 PM
Anyone see any increase in throttle response???? my 400EX has a small lag when I hit the gas.

project400ex19
09-30-2007, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by gcart2
you are 1 of the dumbest ppl i have met in 1 of these threads. we no it makes no hp. its for quick adjust and thats what he says he needs.

ps: try reading before you bash someone/thing

what did I ever do to you. He asked if anyone has had any experience with Dial-A-Jet. I have so I stated my experience. The amount of fuel/air mixture that you adjust is so minimal. Just adjust your air/fuel mixture screw on your carb and you will get probably more adjustment. I used it. I don't know if you have and don't really care either. It's not worth the money in my opinion.

For installation you have to tap a hole into the bottom of your float boal bolt (on the very bottom of your carb) and re-direct your fuel lines. because all it does is take your excess fuel in your float bowl and flow it through your intake boot.

If you ever take it off you have to purchase a whole new bowl which is around 55.00. Because they do not sell just the new bolt as least not on the micro-fishe programs I've seen.

Gcart2....you do not even have any information to post here. Dang hypocrit. Maybe you should try READING the poster of this thread never stated anywhere that he needs quick change...left to right, top to bottom=reading

EDIT- When DAJ is installed and you stand your quad on end fuel will run out and soak your air filter also...Real handy!

chris46250r
10-01-2007, 05:40 AM
You do not have to drill a hole in the bowl. The kit comes with a hose fitting that screws in where the float bowl drain screw goes.

project400ex19
10-04-2007, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by chris46250r
You do not have to drill a hole in the bowl. The kit comes with a hose fitting that screws in where the float bowl drain screw goes.

They must have changed it then. because that's what my directions said to do. I got mine in 2003 I think it was.

also where the drain comes out is a huge pain, if you live in a colder climate or ride in winter it is near impossible to use your choke.

I also did not notice any difference in throttle response. Maybe with more mods you would've. I just had a K&N and Dial-A-Jet at the time. No pipe or anything.

Where I had to drille a hole and tap the hole was on the bolt on the bottom of your carberator...I think maybe a 14mm.

Jdedad
10-08-2007, 08:11 PM
Update just received the Dial-A-Jet kit. After my last Mod of the K&N filter and power lid my ATV is running lean and hard to start, dam near imposable, I was planning to put in a #155 Main and #42 pilot jet, but I wanted to see what happens with the Dial-A-Jet kit first, It took me 15 Min to install it and the motor started immediately; to me this is proof it's helping. I will still up grade my jets however as the directions say you should under size by 1-3 sizes and Dial-A-jet will do the rest, it seams they intend it to be used for the last 10-20% needed to bring your motor to maximum power but they have no way to reduce the flow of fuel, if you are running over sized jets and your motor is to rich this will not help you at all.

I will let you guys know if I see any difference after next weekend.