View Full Version : expert help needed cant figure this one out

superevil
09-27-2007, 01:06 PM
Hot cam stage 2,new subrockers,new heavy duty timing chain,new chain tensioner,new chain guides,new rings and hone,and the stupid thing stick ticks LOUDLY. Its not a regular hotcam tick,my friend has an ex with a stage 2 and its nothing like this.
At .05 and .06,it ticks 100% of the time
At .03 and .04 (just to try) it only ticks after warmup.

Just to see what i would get i set the valves at .04 and .05 cold,then started it and let it idle for about 4-5 minutes,then checked the clearances when its hot. I got like .06 and .08!!! It opened up after warmup!
Someone told me that my valves or springs could be bad,but they also said if the valves or springs were bad,it wouldnt run good and this thing runs awesome. But it just ticks LOUDLY . I have searched and searched,and all i find is that the hotcam ticks,but this one is LOUD

honda400exr
09-27-2007, 02:25 PM
did you check the exhaust? if there's a leak in the exhaust it will make a really loud tick especially if the headpipe isn't tightened down enough. If it's leaking where the headpipe bolts to the head it'll sound like the valves are ticking really loud even if they are adjusted right. I just had that problem..did a rebuild and when I fired it up the first time it sounded like the valves were ticking extremely loud. After checking the adjustment on them I looked at the exhaust and one of the new headpipe gasket rings didn't go all the way in so he headpipe didn't tighten up against the head and once I got the straightened out the tick was gone.

Might not work for you but it's a possability.

dariusld
09-27-2007, 03:19 PM
With all that new stuff, I'm guessing, you didn't put something back together right.

Have you taken it back apart yet and checked for anything wrong? I would look at the cam lobes, the chain guides, chain for tension, the cam gear bolts, and the rings. If something is done wrong , the longer you run it, the worse it gets :(

Hondamaster5505
09-27-2007, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by honda400exr
did you check the exhaust? if there's a leak in the exhaust it will make a really loud tick especially if the headpipe isn't tightened down enough. If it's leaking where the headpipe bolts to the head it'll sound like the valves are ticking really loud even if they are adjusted right. I just had that problem..did a rebuild and when I fired it up the first time it sounded like the valves were ticking extremely loud. After checking the adjustment on them I looked at the exhaust and one of the new headpipe gasket rings didn't go all the way in so he headpipe didn't tighten up against the head and once I got the straightened out the tick was gone.

Might not work for you but it's a possability.

Actually i think it might be that too. My dads dodge had an exhaust leak right by the bolt, and it sounds like a major tick, almost like pinging and crap, but its just an exhaust leak..

superevil
09-27-2007, 05:40 PM
thanks ill try that tonight.could it be something with the valves?

2004exrider
09-27-2007, 06:13 PM
Let the engine cool downa dn check them again, if they're back to the right clearances then you're fine, HotCams are loud that's all there is to it. Did you replace the crush gaskets when you put the header back on, if not then you have an exhaust leak.

Jimmy

superevil
09-27-2007, 08:12 PM
Ill order some exhaust gaskets tommorow. I tried the leak test with the valves,and it they are seating good. Is there a way to see if the valve springs are ok?
I even bought a cheap stock cam off of ebay to throw in and see if it changes anything

CarGuy7a
09-27-2007, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by superevil

Just to see what i would get i set the valves at .04 and .05 cold,then started it and let it idle for about 4-5 minutes,then checked the clearances when its hot. I got like .06 and .08!!! It opened up after warmup!

umm yeah that's normal for the valve lash to open up when the engine is warm. all 4 stroke engines do this. when the engine warms up the metal expands.

GOTFEAR
09-27-2007, 10:01 PM
runs like a diesel sounds to be your cam timing is off maybe one tooth off

superevil
09-28-2007, 12:20 AM
The exhaust gaskets on the head were total garbage! I was wandering what those copper metal rings were that came with my gasket kit.Do you guys know how far i will have to jet down if i replace the stage 2 cam with a stock cam?

Jdedad
09-28-2007, 01:09 AM
Sounds like to me either the
gasket thickness change
Springs to weak, this can happen if the cam is compressing them too much
Timing is off
I agree the valve clearance should never get bigger when warm, as the metal expands the gap should decrease, are you sure the cam lobe is 180 degrees away when you are checking the clearance?

badquad
09-28-2007, 12:01 PM
Check the tensioner, ,mined did the same. so I pulled out tensioner and moved it around, then put it back, then the ticking went away.. hope it helps

400exrider707
09-28-2007, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by CarGuy7a
umm yeah that's normal for the valve lash to open up when the engine is warm. all 4 stroke engines do this. when the engine warms up the metal expands.

Complete opposite, the tolerance should close up, thus the point of putting a gap in it in the first place.

Jdedad
09-28-2007, 02:05 PM
Agreed we are saying the same thing the gap will be smaller after warm not bigger.

superevil
09-29-2007, 06:01 PM
I cant see the lobes on the cam when adjusting clearance,but i do know it is on TDC of the compression stroke when i adjust them. I am going to throw the stock cam back in and see if it clears up. If the valves are seeting good,can i just replace the springs?

superevil
09-29-2007, 11:17 PM
It was the cam. I put the stock cam back in and it doesnt tick. The confusing part is that my friends stage 2 didnt tick nearly as loud as mine. Im thinking my valve springs work ok with the stocker but arent tough enough for the stage 2

monte433
09-30-2007, 07:53 AM
My hot cam sounds like a sewing machine but it works fine and has for many years:D

Jdedad
09-30-2007, 04:13 PM
Agreed springs too weak or wrong Cam