PDA

View Full Version : HOW HOT Trail Tech dash kit with temp gauge

Jdedad
09-27-2007, 11:47 AM
I installed a Trail Tech dash kit with temp gauge, I heard these air cooled engines may over heat in hot weather if you run them too hard. How hot it to hot?

I have no idea what is normal and what will cause damage? 220F normal? 240F danger?

GPracer2500
09-27-2007, 12:18 PM
What temperature is it measuring?

Cylinder head?
Oil?

Jdedad
09-27-2007, 02:04 PM
Cylinder head

GPracer2500
09-27-2007, 07:30 PM
I don't know for sure. If I were to guess I'd say maybe 300-375 degrees fahrenheit might be normal on the air-cooled 400EX. Maybe more. I'd expect cylinder head temps to be somewhat higher than oil temps and a LOT higher than what you'd normally find for coolant temps on a liquid cooled engine.

I suppose it would also matter where on the cylinder head you're taking the reading. If it's from the spark plug hole then they'll be up there.

I'm just guessing--I've never run a 400EX with any kind of temp sensor.

JOEX
09-27-2007, 07:42 PM
I took a look at the Trail Tech site and the air cooled sensor is mounted to the spark plug...

09-27-2007, 07:57 PM
man i need to get a trail tech :) how much do they whack you for the trail tech itself and then the temp sensor?

Jdedad
09-28-2007, 12:35 AM
Well ok here goes I was at the Orange CA Sand show I have been wanting to buy a few things, I arrived the last day two hours before the closing time a walked around looking for the items on my list, most of these guys with stock don't want to pack it up and drag it home so they deal, others just want to show good sales for the show and hit there quota so they deal. I found the Trail tech booth on my way out they sold me the Computer with sensors for $100 the dash mounting kit $100 but there was a catch the dash will only fit 1 1/8 handle bars so he sold me them 1/2 price $40.

there are two computer kits one is for TRX450 water cooled, one is for TRX400 air cooled yes they have a spark plug sensor but it's not included $30 the TRX450 kit has everything the same only it has a water temp sensor included. they sent me the TRX450 kit with the water sensor I can't use, however I removed the sensor out of the plastic tee fitting it came with and mounted it to the header pipe mounting bolt, I am not sure if it will hold up to the heat or not?

clubert
09-30-2007, 09:45 AM
when i went to install this on my 400ex, i found that the park plug sets down in a recessed area, that the sensor will not fit into. i pulled one of the head bolts out, and stuck the sensor under that. it doesn't get all that hot, because it's up at the top of the engine, with air flowing over it. if i run it hard, and then let it sit for a bit, it'll get up around 300 degrees.

Jdedad
09-30-2007, 06:08 PM
I have sent a few e-mails to Trail Tech before they normally reply with positive feedback let's hit them up on this, if they sell us a TRX400EX sensor it better fit.

Sales: sales@trailtech.net
Technical Support: tech_support@trailtech.net
Human Resources: hr@trailtech.net

clubert
10-01-2007, 10:12 AM
i don't think that the website ever actually calls out a temp sensor for the 400ex. the 400ex kit states "this kit does not come with a temp sensor". when you look at the sensors, they just state what size spark plug they fit around. I never saw anywhere where they state they have one "for" the 400ex.

steve

yAmAhA-rIdEr155
10-01-2007, 12:09 PM
i put one on mine and it is awesome

espergre
10-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Has anyone been able to install the spark plug sensor on their 400ex? If not have you found an alternative sensor location? I have the trailtech installed but could not get sensor to mount.