View Full Version : Frame help needed...Can somebody post a pic of..

pdxbigfoot
09-27-2007, 12:53 AM
Im right at the point of doing motor mock up(i have some extensive motor mount work to do) we dropped the motor in and it was a very tight fit into the bottom mounts.These tabs have been rewelded on both sides and it was a pretty shoddy job so we are going to clean everything up and basically start from scratch.The only mount that doesnt need work is the back/swinger...(its a 86) were do you all think i should start...With the rear and work my way forward?? or should i start from the bottom and work my way back and up and leave the fronts for last??As it sits right now i was able to get the bottom in and the fronts but the headstay was off by a 16th or so.Are most R frames this tight?? In my opinion the frame looks REALLY true...when it sits on a level surface there are no rocks or teaters and the subframe looks great BUT the motor looks a little cock-eyed looking at it from the front it seems to angle just a little to the left...So can somone PLEASE post some good pics of the correct front motor mount configuation from a top down view and any input with this would be greatly appreciated as im to the point where im considering a better frame all togather...but i have alot of cash and time into this one and i kinda feel bad for it...all things have a soul and this frame wants to live!!...thanx guyz and girlz

86 Quad R
09-27-2007, 06:52 AM
i'm a bit confused as to what the deal is. did your frame once have a hybrid engine in it and your wanting to go back with an original R engine or are the (fixed) bottom and front mount tabs broken off and missing or what.

which swinger are you using? if its the "open center '86-87 style then i'd go from there and work forward, as it is the best anchor point of the frame but, you must make sure that the swinger is mounted and setting in there good en square.

a better clarifacation on your situation would better help us, help you. :)

pdxbigfoot
09-27-2007, 12:35 PM
I know my whole situation is screwie. I have a stock 86 frame that the bottom motor mounts and the front mounts have all been broken at some point in time and they were rewelded very poorly. Im at the point where i need to (fix) the welds that were done and get everything lined back up. The only motor mount that is still stock is the rear swing/mount ....And yes i am useing a 86 style Laeger swinger....i hope this makes more sense....thank you!!! Jason

mineralgrey01gt
09-27-2007, 01:05 PM
i say that you mount the engine up on the rear mount, then work your way forward from there. What about the headstay? Whats the condition of it? If its in good shape, i say put it in also then mock up where the other mounts need to go. My R frame wasnt all that tight, but my none of my mounts were broken ever, the frame was never repaired in any place that I know of.

86 Quad R
09-27-2007, 01:06 PM
well in that case do as i stated in my previous post.....

making sure you have good swinger bushings and all, bolt it in place along with the swinger engine mount. after the engine is bolted to the rear engine mount "loosely" install the head stay on the frame aswell as to the head. at this point go ahead and install the chain to use as an alignment tool, making sure that everything is good and square.

once thing are good en square you can bolt on the front "removable" mounts to the engine and position them accordingly.

the bottom center mounts would/may nee to be made from scratch and mokked up, bolted to the lower engine and spot welded from the underside.

if the "stumps" (for a lack of a better word) for the front are still there then your work wont be too bad as far as the fronts are concerned. if not then ya can build a foundation and go from there.

hope some of this info helps. good luck with it .

important that you have patients and an open mind. ya can over think stuff like this at times.

pdxbigfoot
09-27-2007, 02:00 PM
I have new swinger bearings and bushings so i will get them in there and go from there. The head stay has had one repair and it was done very well....so well i didnt notice it on first inspection. As it sits right now when the motor is bolted in w/the front and the bottom the head=stay is off by about a 16th of a inch...i will be able to pry that bad boy in but i would rather not.A local Honda shop still has one in stock along with front motor mounts so i think that i will pick those up so i have a even playing field to start with...thanx for the input and i am going to finish the frame on sunday come hell or high water...then its off to powdercoat...yippy!!!

gfast
09-27-2007, 08:20 PM
any help ?http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/trobertson/87-250r004.jpg

pdxbigfoot
09-27-2007, 08:57 PM
Thank you we shall see how it goes on Sunday...keep you all posted