View Full Version : Goin to bikes?

rollie
09-26-2007, 07:43 PM
Allright so as we all know theres nowhere to practice on quads anymore. I will admit, with my 300ex i was pretty spoiled and my dad helped me out BIG time, but, he moved out of my house a few months after me buying a 450R, so I've built and payed for my entire R, not complaing at all in fact i love the feeling however with my truck also getting 10-14 mpg and my quad with almost 14K in it its getting expensive with nowhere to ride, sure racing is good but thats only 6 months out of the year 12 weekends. the closest place to practice is 1 1/2 away.

so heres my dilemma, Ive never owned a dirt bike but im decent on them, obviously i could get better with time. there is an awsome track literally 3 minutes away from my house for bikes, and after buying a CRF250 it would be alot cheaper.

so i just dont know what to do, i feel like if i sell the quad and get a bike, and i end up wanting to go back to quads im screwed. what do you guys think?

mx1791
09-26-2007, 07:45 PM
pretty random, but have any pics of your quad?

xc_racer1
09-26-2007, 07:45 PM
stick with the quad man. i used to ride bikes but its way more of a rush riding a quad than a bike. b/c when a quad lands on u it hurts a lot more than a bike. lol

450rRacer22
09-26-2007, 07:52 PM
i've got the same problem man. i ended up selling my quad and now i dont want a bike or a quad, probly gonna get a truck or just keep the money in the bank. anyways, i would say go for it. in time you will get better on the bike and get more comfortable with it, plus you cant beat going 3 minutes down the road and riding, just doesnt get any better than that. plus like you said bikes are so much cheaper to ride or even race. to be competitive in A class on a quad your gonna need atleast 3 grand in your quad. with a bike you can take it right off the showroom floor and race it that day and can be pretty damn competitive. i would definitely go for it man. just my .02 cents

rollie
09-26-2007, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by mx1791
pretty random, but have any pics of your quad?

sure, and before people call me out saying its not worth what i said, im waiting for this winter to rebuild it. i have an LSR/fox front end and a Elka rear end, only thing i dont have is the motoworks pipe, also gonna be getting the engine done a little and guesseted and PC'd frame, possibly some lakers if money allows, so WHEN T HE BIKE IS DONE it will be worth all of that. either way i would finish the quad and see how i like it then sell it as a whole.

Pappy
09-26-2007, 07:58 PM
Cody loves both, and honestly if given the choice of one or the other, I would bet he would take the bike.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1097/1429839458_2615738da2.jpg

ricksmx865
09-26-2007, 08:12 PM
i used to race bikes.... i rode bikes since i was 8 yrs old and i made this switch to quads this yr...

if you would have told me back in the day that i would love quads as much as i do i would have never believed you... but the truth is the quad the way to go, imo

dont get me wrong id ride a bike over not riding at all... but i'm def. in love with quads

ZeroLogic
09-26-2007, 08:13 PM
I moved from quads to bikes and now I have $$ in my wallet! I love bikes they are so much more fun in my opinion. I'd deffently move to them if your tight on money.

07250ex
09-26-2007, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by xc_racer1
stick with the quad man. i used to ride bikes but its way more of a rush riding a quad than a bike. b/c when a quad lands on u it hurts a lot more than a bike. lol

its way more of a rush riding a quad than a bike. - lie

when a quad lands on u it hurts a lot more than a bike. - truth

GPracer2500
09-26-2007, 08:39 PM
I like both but if I had to choose one I'd choose bikes. In fact, I haven't bought a new quad because I keep buying bikes!

rbgnwa45
09-26-2007, 08:51 PM
Whatever rush you get from riding is opinionated. For me, dirtbikes are more fun because they are nimble, power has a nice kick, they're cheap, and zingy. I think you should get the 250F, bikes are a lot of fun too, you'd be riding a lot more. The last nice bike I rode was a newer RM125, it pulled my 230lbs easily and it had power than I'd need for play riding, I'm buying a 2-stroke next.

my88r
09-26-2007, 09:55 PM
i ride both i got a 400ex and a 250r. for bikes i got a ktm200 xc i love it. if you want something that will save you money in the long run get a ktm. if i where you i would stay on the 450r. but if your riding areas are far away for quads i see what you mean

outacontrol
09-27-2007, 05:06 AM
i was in your same dilemma, i have a hybrid setup for mx, but i missed trail riding, so i just went last saturday and bought a new ktm 250 sx-f. took it out sunday and love it. I think if i had to get rid of one, i would miss the quad more than the bike, because im not comfortable yet on a mx track on the bike. just my .02

MX MaNiAc 06
09-27-2007, 07:15 AM
Please dont sell such a nice quad. But thats just me.. i will never get on a bike for the rest of my life.

TRUE
09-27-2007, 10:36 AM
I ride both quads and bikes and I will honestly recommend owning/ riding both.

trick450r
09-27-2007, 11:20 AM
if you sell that quad rollie PLEASE let me buy my rear shock back... i miss it so much lol.

biker
09-27-2007, 12:29 PM
I am with True on this one! both are nice but if I was to pick one or the other it would be the bike! sure I would miss the quad when it snows buit hey that's what the make studded tires for!:devil:

Flynbryan19
09-27-2007, 12:52 PM
If your thing is mx..... Sell the quad and get a bike. In the long run you'll come out way ahead. You can take a bone stock new $6200 bike out on the mx track and do well at any level. The same can not be said for a quad(with possibly the exception of the Ltr450).

To each their own. I rode bikes for almost 10yrs racing mx before I got into quads. I'm now starting to feel like I would possibly rather have a bike again.....:ermm: But, I have too much money into the quad and would not come out to the good, so I'll be keeping what I've got for a while.

Just my opinion, but if your going to get a bike do it now before you sink anymore money into the quad. These are toys and though they are fun, you'll never get your money back out of the mods. If your set on getting a bike go ahead, cut your losses, and do it.

Good luck with which ever route you decide to go.

mine
09-27-2007, 01:02 PM
go with a 450, im 230 lbs and it prob took me a month to get used to. If you weigh more than 200lbs a 250f is not for you. You will be riding it harder to keep up with the lighter guys on 250f's and you will end up buying clutches/valves pistons etc. faster than you would on a 450,

mole97
09-27-2007, 04:40 PM
everyones opinions are just that.. THEIR opinions.. you gotta do what you feel is right I was in the same boat I had a tricked out trx 450 and a yfz and got rid of them for the bike..I am now selling the bike and going back to a quad. I just miss it way to much and i was a lot better on a quad anyhow...They're both a lot of fun but if I could do it over again I would have never gott'n rid of my quads..You got a real nice lookin quad there ..Your gonna miss it..:(

Ghost-Rider
09-27-2007, 04:50 PM
I would keep the quad and look into trail riding.

rollie
09-27-2007, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Ghost-Rider
I would keep the quad and look into trail riding.
no way my quad will ever see the trails, not even close to set up for it, and i find trail riding very boring haha

woodsracer144
12-24-2007, 09:42 AM
X2 im right with you.
i would say pick up the bike... but dont go out and buy a brand spanken new one get a used one or something cheaper so if you dont like it you dont have a ton of money stuck in it. i would say that the crf is a good bike with alot of power and great handling but they are really spendy to make mods on... i have a buddy thats a pro racers and his 250f is still stock... other than the hour meter that he put on it..

im lookin at a rm125 im a huge suzuki bike fan. and i IMO think there is way more out there with bikes... any time i say to someone im goin to the track to ride they say what do you have for a bike... and im like im on a quad and they are lost...
X-games has a bike thing every year several time and crustys on fuse is shoing bikes all the time... even tho they beat the piss out of every thing... just about every one has hear the name travis pastrana... not to many people know the name wes miller, tim far or J. jones... or doug gust... i say go for it...

BlaineKaiser450
12-24-2007, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by TRUE
I ride both quads and bikes and I will honestly recommend owning/ riding both.

KXRida
12-24-2007, 11:11 AM
Go with bikes. I switched from quads to bikes and I'll never race a quad again. I'd maybe trail ride a quad, but I don't forsee myself buying a quad anytime soon. IMO bikes are just more fun to ride, easier to jump, and for the most part cheaper.

woodsracer144
12-24-2007, 11:34 AM
yeah you can have a fast bike with little money in to it and theres not much to them... over all to me its the same to mod them... the RG3 forks at like 2500 bucks and normally the stock forks are good enough for you to run untill you get about pro... you also can get them re-valved by like RG3 and PRO ACTION and other factorys... exhaust is the same, tires sometimes are cheaper than the quads... and rims are about the same... i think aftermarket spokes are like 20 bucks... plastic and griphics arnt that much and motor mods are about the same as a quad. you can pick up used bike parts really cheap too... i watched a 03 RM 250 motor with hison full clutch and th quick cover for like 500 bucks and that was with a fresh rebuild also... the other thing you can do is if you still would like to race quads but a 450 after you get good enought and swap the motor back and fourth.. from the bike to the quad... you could pick up a yzf 426 fairly cheap and that is a great motor. but alot of the stock things on the bikes are good enought to race and get a top 10 top 5 or top3 finish if the rider is good enough...

elementryder
12-24-2007, 11:40 AM
um i deffinantly want i bike i would like a crf250 but my paretns arent ever gonna get me one..
but i would never consider racing one i would just take it to my local track and screw around on it...im too good at raing my quad id nevr give it up but try to improve thats just my personal situaton

KXRida
12-24-2007, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
and normally the stock forks are good enough for you to run untill you get about pro...

I take it you don't ride bikes much? Having a suspesion tuned for you, your bike, and your riding style IMO is better than engine mods. You can have all the power in the world, but if you can't get it to the ground, what's the point. I used to run stock suspension because I didn't think it was important, boy was I wrong. Makes the bike so much easier to ride fast.

ny300exrider
12-24-2007, 12:25 PM
id say try out bikes..life is too short to stick to one thing all the time-experience new things!

woodsracer144
12-24-2007, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by KXRida
I take it you don't ride bikes much? Having a suspesion tuned for you, your bike, and your riding style IMO is better than engine mods. You can have all the power in the world, but if you can't get it to the ground, what's the point. I used to run stock suspension because I didn't think it was important, boy was I wrong. Makes the bike so much easier to ride fast.

i know that after market forks like the RG3 are gonna be better than the stock ones.. but im saying for him if hes just starting that he could just run the whole bike stock and he could do good.. but aftermarket forks are just as much after market shocks on a quad... so if he wants to spend 2500 bucks on them and then not like the feeling of it... hes gonna be screwed.... thats all im sayin is that he could race the whole bike pretty much all stock and if he doesnt like it he doesnt have much money in it. and then he can get back in to quads if he wants...

KXRida
12-24-2007, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
i know that after market forks like the RG3 are gonna be better than the stock ones.. but im saying for him if hes just starting that he could just run the whole bike stock and he could do good.. but aftermarket forks are just as much after market shocks on a quad... so if he wants to spend 2500 bucks on them and then not like the feeling of it... hes gonna be screwed.... thats all im sayin is that he could race the whole bike pretty much all stock and if he doesnt like it he doesnt have much money in it. and then he can get back in to quads if he wants...

a revalve and new springs does not cost $2500.

woodsracer144
12-24-2007, 06:55 PM
im sayin whole forks not revalves... that what they were when i looked at them for a rmz250...
for the honda they are almost 2300.00
http://store.rg3suspension.com/honda-m-11.html?osCsid=6f5db0bf45818e835495822d6bea3932

12-24-2007, 07:43 PM
I used to ride bikes since i was 6, then i got into quads. Idk, but i love quads soo much. I will probably buy another bike one day to race with my quads. Id getta crf250r or yz250f. They are the best 250f's imo.

woodsracer144
12-24-2007, 07:47 PM
i like the kawi and zuki but the 04 250f's were bad choices...