PDA

View Full Version : Uni air filter causes starting problem.

BLEEDRED
09-26-2007, 12:46 PM
What do you guys think about this? I have been running the stock foam filter (with screen removed) on my 2006 450R with no problems. I got a uni foam filter, oiled it up and installed it. Quad wouldn't start. Reinstalled the stock filter and quad starts right up.

I am assuming that the jetting is off with the uni but I can't believe that it would be so far off that the bike won't even start. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

09-26-2007, 12:49 PM
seems odd, i would think it would at least start but not run for a while

BLEEDRED
09-26-2007, 12:53 PM
Me too:confused:

svahle
09-26-2007, 02:29 PM
Think maybe you put too much oil on the UNI? Normally you would think an aftermarket filter would breath better. So it would normally create a lean condition. I would expect the quad to start and run a little better when lean (although with the risk of engine damage). If too much oil were on the filter it could result in less air flow and a rich condition that I suppose if bad enough could result in starting problems. These are just a couple of thoughts I am throwing out there. When you put the stock filter back on did it fire right up? Any puff of black smoke? If it were rich when trying to start with the UNI, you might expect it to foul the plug or act a little rich for a moment or two.

This seems very odd to me too.

BLEEDRED
09-27-2007, 05:28 AM
Real odd to me too. I was actually thinking that I didn't put enough oil on the uni. When I put the stocker back on it fired immediately. I do remember a puff of black smoke when it started, but I had been choking it and messing with the throttle when it wasn't starting with the uni. I warmed it up and it ran great with the stocker. No trouble with the plug.

When I oiled the filter I thought it was adequate. When I looked inside the filter it didn't seem saturated, but it appeared fully oiled from the outside.

I'm going to test this again probably after the weekend when I get some more time. Any more thoughts?

the Z Man
09-27-2007, 06:02 AM
Are you sure it wasn't preoiled from the factory? I would clean it and try it again.

BLEEDRED
09-27-2007, 06:06 AM
It was dry as can be, no oil whatsoever. Come on man! I do appreciate you pointing out/eliminating the obvious factors but I do have a pretty good mechanical grasp.

dork
09-27-2007, 07:24 AM
when the yz426's first came out many riders would slap on a freshly oiled filter and have hard times starting. the fcr carbs seem to plug up easily with filter oil if it hasn't set up. lets yours sit a hour then try it. what kind of oil's on it?

BLEEDRED
09-27-2007, 07:30 AM
Bel Ray oil I believe...hum now I can't remember. I got it at the local shop. In a black containter with blue and white logo/lettering.

I need to try it again.

Colby@C&DRacing
09-28-2007, 09:18 AM
We use uni filters in all of our race bikes. Start the bike with the filter removed and then slowly install it. The solvents and fresh oil are plugging the air filter an not allowing your bike to start. Good call on oiling it in the first place you guys have no idea how many atv's I see with no oil on the filter.:rolleyes: It is not a filter without oil:) We also do not recommend using a sprayon oil it doesn't coat the filter good enough.

svahle
09-28-2007, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
We also do not recommend using a sprayon oil it doesn't coat the filter good enough.

Not to highjack this thread, but this seems to be a relevant question. What oil do you recommend and how is it applied? Thanks.

Colby@C&DRacing
09-28-2007, 09:43 AM
even uni only recommends a spray on oil with no dust conditions.

Personally we use the maxima FFT (Foam filter Treatment) It is a liquid that we drizzle on the filter and work it in until it is evenly coated inside and out squeeze out the excess note*wear gloves ;).

On the Honda make sure that you take carb cleaner and thourghly clean the rubber surface where the clamp tightens down.

Sjorge450R
09-28-2007, 05:09 PM
i second colby on that about not using spray on. I just used spray on for the hell of it and found dust in the air boot. No more spray for me.