PDA

View Full Version : Trevorton Pa. question

scarabsport
09-26-2007, 05:10 AM
For those who rode in Trevorton Pa. before.
Could you tell me if you need or is required any registration or insurance to ride there?
Thanks in advance,
Dan

CHAR250R
09-26-2007, 08:37 AM
If I remember correctly....you need to be registered and insured to be legal in the state of PA, but that is up to you. :D

BigAl73
09-28-2007, 07:32 PM
You’re required to have a permit ($100 for a year) but they don’t check often. But to acquire a permit you need DNRC license and insurance on ATV or they won’t issue a permit. If they do check and you’re not at your vehicle they will tow it away at your expense and you will get a ticket for trespassing. They even encourage other to report violators for a free year permit. I’ve been going there for 2 years and only saw them one time tow vehicles out when I first started going up to Treverton. If you have any more question just send me an e-mail at Bigal73@hotmail.com
Big Al

B.Murphy73
09-30-2007, 06:31 PM
Does anyone have a link to some info about that area?

BigAl73
09-30-2007, 08:09 PM
This is the info you requested. If you need more info then this just shoot me an e-mail.

http://www.readinganthracite.com/articles/access.pdf

Big Al

B.Murphy73
09-30-2007, 09:17 PM
Thanks....

Eviltanker
10-01-2007, 07:54 AM
I ride up in that area at least once a month sometimes more. I've only seen them out 1-2 times. If you don't act like an a@# they leave you alone.

2old2race
10-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Is Treverton being confused with Pottsville?
Pottsville is where the Reading Anthracite Company is.
Correct?

We were riding at Treverton at the big coal hills. We had no pass/permit. Didn't seem like anyone had anything for that matter. ?????????????????

BigAl73
10-22-2007, 02:04 PM
Yes Pottsville is where the Reading Antracite headquarters is located which is Schuylkill County and Treverton is about 35 miles North West of Potsville in Northunberland County.
Big Al

grizzlyjim
10-22-2007, 06:54 PM
Is there a particular spot you park your trucks? I am outside of lavelle on 901 anyone have directions on where i should go?
thanks tina

2old2race
10-22-2007, 09:04 PM
If you are talking about Treverton, as soon as you see the huge coal hill just pull in. Trucks are parked all over the place. You can also drive around the left side of the hills and park up along the backside of the hills.

rossmda
11-12-2007, 04:00 PM
can I get directions from Baltimore? I would be coming up interstate 83. Can't seem to get directions from anyone. I know how to get to tower city.

scarabsport
11-12-2007, 05:19 PM
Go to [URL=www.mapquest.com] and get directions to Trevorton PA. from your address.
Dan

rossmda
11-12-2007, 06:23 PM
is the town that small? I will be able to figure out where to go onnce I get to the town?

scarabsport
11-12-2007, 06:54 PM
Type in Trevorton PA in mapquest. Zoom in and click on "AERIAL Image" at the top right of map. Look for Route 225.
Follow Route 225 East towards coal hills.
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&formtype=address&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&cat=&address=&city=trevorton&state=pa&zipcode=

2old2race
11-12-2007, 07:42 PM
Trevorton is pretty small.
However, there appears to be one main road through it.
And yeah, if you are on the main road you WILL see the coal hill. It will be literally right in front of you.

I'm going up this Saturday with my 6 y.o. son. He got his 70 this September for his birthday and is dying to ride somewhere. We will not be doing the coal hills. But, he is just so excited to ride where there might be Banshees and Raptors! lol

Eviltanker
11-12-2007, 07:48 PM
The town is a blip on the map but, the trails are massive. A bunch of us will be there sunday.

2old2race
11-12-2007, 07:58 PM
I asked this question before.
Where are the main trails exactly?
We parked to the rear of the coal hills and took a main dirt path down to the left. It was about 20 feet wide and took us back for a while and then we ended up in a big open field.

What is the 'main' trail to take?

Honestly, those coal hills kept us busy for hours! :macho

Eviltanker
11-13-2007, 06:45 AM
I think if you go towards the north east corner of that field you will find the next trail head. If I'm not mistaken it goes down by the whale back. Anyways cross the field and you will find a ton of trails. just be careful it is way easy to get lost in the trails once you are in.

2old2race
11-13-2007, 08:17 AM
Ah, alright!
Yes, we came to an opening and there was a huge field in front of us. It was kinda weird after being in the woods for so long.
We took a trail to the left- back into the woods. But then turned around after hearing gunshots= hunting season.

We also saw what appeared to be a really well groomed trail that traveled up along the right-side of the field.

So, I guess when we get to the field go to the right. ;)

Eviltanker
11-13-2007, 08:26 AM
Yeah kind of go to the right. that will go down to the dirt/coal dust area with some junk laying around.When you get there you will need to go to your left, You'll see a trail in the feild thats wide enough for a car to drive on. follow that to the top and you'll be in the area's that the locals hang out at. be careful though cuz once your back there you gotta watch the rednecks. They drive there regular cars on the wide trails to get to Smurfs pond, the Whale back and some old mine hole that I can't think of the name of rite now. Trust me once your back there You will have a blast.

BigAl73
11-13-2007, 04:05 PM
I will be going up on Sunday with a buch of friends, I was up on Saturday with 6 friends but I only saw about 20 people incuding us. We parked at Smurf Pond, climbed the coal bank but the coal is to wet and hard to climb, then we went on the trails. We drove 35 miles on the trails before the girls feet were wet and cold.
Big Al

Eviltanker
11-13-2007, 04:08 PM
Cool dude, If you see this quad stop and say hi.

2old2race
11-14-2007, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by BigAl73
I will be going up on Sunday with a buch of friends, I was up on Saturday with 6 friends but I only saw about 20 people incuding us. We parked at Smurf Pond, climbed the coal bank but the coal is to wet and hard to climb, then we went on the trails. We drove 35 miles on the trails before the girls feet were wet and cold.
Big Al
You guys are killing me with these trails! :mad:
I REALLY need to find them.

2old2race
11-14-2007, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by Eviltanker
Cool dude, If you see this quad stop and say hi.
Yeah, because a red 400EX or 450R is so easy to detect at Trevorton. LMAO!
At least I have yellow. :p

Just bustin on you, I hope you know. :cool:

Eviltanker
11-14-2007, 09:30 AM
I will be wearing desert gortex if that helps.

BigAl73
11-14-2007, 07:29 PM
I drive a red 93 Ford F150 and my Raptor a white GYTR with an American flag on a whip. We should be up at Smurf Pond around 11 am. Maybe we'll see you and I will look for your quad. Where do you park and what truck do you drive.
Big Al

Eviltanker
11-16-2007, 06:31 AM
I park at a friends house in Gowen city. I drive a 98 Dodge ram silver w/ blue rally stripes. We will probably hit smurfs between 11 and noon.

Eviltanker
11-19-2007, 04:34 PM
Went well sunday. Josh sorry didn't get a chance to call. Snowed like mad. Some pics
Whale back

Eviltanker
11-19-2007, 04:37 PM
Another pic of whale back.

Eviltanker
11-19-2007, 04:38 PM
At coal hill

Eviltanker
11-19-2007, 04:39 PM
Also coal hill

Eviltanker
11-19-2007, 04:39 PM
Last for now

kostura118
11-19-2007, 05:31 PM
sick pics. reminds me of home (pottsville), im in toronto going to school, done next weekend. cant wait to go ridin again

2old2race
11-20-2007, 07:30 AM
WOW...Crazy!!!
We were there Saturday. Started out pretty decent. Started to get really cold around 2:00. We headed out at 3. The coal was nice and wet making for great traction. Hell, it seemed like everyone was making it up the hills no matter what they were on.

I had heard it snowed up there Sunday and was wondering what the coal hills would look like.

scarabsport
11-20-2007, 01:48 PM
2old2race,
I was up there Saturday also, I think I saw you and your son cruising around come to think of it. If you saw 2 yellow Quadracers, an LTZ 400, a Kodiac and a 250EX that was us. I was parked behind the old scale house in a "05" white crew cab Silverado.
What part of south central Pa. do you live?
Thanks,
Dan

2old2race
11-20-2007, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by scarabsport
2old2race,
I was up there Saturday also, I think I saw you and your son cruising around come to think of it. If you saw 2 yellow Quadracers, an LTZ 400, a Kodiac and a 250EX that was us. I was parked behind the old scale house in a "05" white crew cab Silverado.
What part of south central Pa. do you live?
Thanks,
Dan
Yep. That was us and I remember you guys.
Where am I from in southcentral PA ?????? Hanover, of course! :p Too funny!

Yeah, I was on a yellow with black wheels EX and he was on a blue e-ton.
That was his first time away from home. He loved it! That was until all that riding through puddles caught up to him. hahahah

We parked beside the guys with the Banshee and 250R (I believe). That was my son's second favorite thing- that a Banshee actually parked beside us. :rolleyes: :D

scarabsport
11-20-2007, 06:25 PM
It's a small world. South central Pa. caught my eye in your sig. that's why I asked. I might even know you.

DE400EX
11-21-2007, 04:39 AM
Me and a few other guys are eading up there this coming saturday...

In a blue/silver dodge ram..400exs and raptors...

2old2race
11-21-2007, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by scarabsport
It's a small world. South central Pa. caught my eye in your sig. that's why I asked. I might even know you.
Doubt it. This is my first atv. And you guys sound a bit more serious than me. lol
I raced 250 C-class back in the day for Hanover Kawasaki, mainly at Ramblers.
I never made too much of a go of it, just liked going to the 'old' Tower City every weekend.
I'm 36, lived in Hanover all my life, went to HHS and York College. Yeah, local boy.
Ever been to Kleffel's? That's where I hang my hat during the day and in the Pigeon Hills every other moment.

DE400EX
11-23-2007, 07:09 PM
Anyone have a better address for me to mapquest treverton?

Meat
11-23-2007, 07:21 PM
hey guys\gals, im a local who grew up in Trevorton and have been riding there for 25 years... since the early 80s. For many many many years we've had the place to ourselves, but the past 7 or 8 years its been THE hot spot to ride in central Pa. My name is Denny and i'm currently riding an all red Honda 250r. Iv meet alot of great people from all over the country that have come to Trevorton and Coal Hill to ride and its been great. I wanna holler out to the crew of guys from Scranton that I rode with on Labor Day weekend. Me and my buddy Scott had a great time with you guys. Everyone please ride safe, remember that the trails are rough, and the whoops are hard to see in the dark coal trails and remember to watch out for riders coming the other way down a trail. PLEASE TAKE YOUR TRASH HOME WITH YOU and if you guys have any questions or wanna meet up with me sometime, just holler.

ps. stay off the streets. the trevorton cop will bust ya

scarabsport
11-23-2007, 07:22 PM
See page 2 of this posting for the info I posted. Use the mapquest link and do an aerial image view to see the coal hills. You turn on Coal Street off route 225 to park your rig.
Dan

Meat
11-23-2007, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by DE400EX

try the spelling .... TrevOrton

DE400EX
11-23-2007, 08:22 PM
I always spell it wrong for some reason. Mapquest fix's it though.

Well, hopefully any one going up we weill see you up there around 9-10 am..

nasty88r
11-24-2007, 08:33 AM
I checked that link on mapquest and if you go east on 225 from Trevorton where 225 and 61 meet near the rr tracks there are some coal hills there it looks like?? Can we ride there to and and how is the riding what do they call that spot?? Can we ride the quads from Trevorton to that point through the trails? Let me know.. Thx:D

DE400EX
11-25-2007, 10:26 AM
225 runs through trevorton.. You cant miss the coal hills.

nasty88r
11-25-2007, 01:02 PM
I saw the hills at Trevorton but was wondering if you can ride at the hills there at 225 and 61 if you click on the link on pg2 and go to the east of trevorton you will see them from the aerial map..

DE400EX
11-25-2007, 01:48 PM
From what i saw and from people that live up there you can ride where ever, just dont be a dick and dont ride on the road and you probably wont have a problem.

Meat
11-25-2007, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by nasty88r
I saw the hills at Trevorton but was wondering if you can ride at the hills there at 225 and 61 if you click on the link on pg2 and go to the east of trevorton you will see them from the aerial map..

Ya that big coal bank is five times the size of Coal Hill in Trevorton. Its the Glen Burn bank and it looms over Shamokin. Shamokin is about 5 miles east of Trevorton. You can ride the Glen Burn, but there's no big hill climbs up the side of of it, but you can ride trails to the top of it and cruise around the top of the mountain. The Glen Burn spill bank is suppossedly the largest spill bank in the world. They're not mining at the Glen Burn anymore, but they have been hauling truckloads of culm off the mountain for the past 5 years, they haul it 10 miles up the road to a plant that burns the culm for electricity. So there's trucks and people actually working the mountain and that keeps riders off the mountain. Seach "glen burn" and "Shamokin" and you'll find more info on the big hill.

BigAl73
11-25-2007, 07:18 PM
Meat,
The Glen Burn coal bank in Shamokin, can you ride on it at all? Can you ride the trails from Treverton to Shamokin to the Glen Burn bank? That would be worth the trip on the trails just to see the bank. I like to climb the bank but I enjoy trial riding more then hill climbing. About 10 of us are planing on comming up to Treverton Dec. 2 if the weather isn't below 40 and it's not raining. So if the weather permits some of you guys and gals will see us parked at Smurf pond. Catch you later.
Big Al

nasty88r
11-26-2007, 01:21 PM
What is smurf pond can you see it rom the map??

BigAl73
11-26-2007, 09:13 PM
No its just a large mud hole that is used for mud bogging. It's about 1 to 2 miles North West of the coal bank. We park there because we like to trail ride and only hill climb part of the time there. Along Smurf Pond is a large lot and 4 roads going different directions.
Big Al

nasty88r
11-27-2007, 11:20 AM
I like trail riding also I guess it doesn't matter where I park does it I can still ride between the two. Will I be able to find good trail riding from the hills and what kind of riding are the trails are they just flat trails or what? Thanx for the info..

DE400EX
11-27-2007, 12:39 PM
Alot of rocks... ALOT. Rough trail rides to say the least.

BigAl73
11-27-2007, 02:17 PM
Like DE400EX said lots of rocks, but the trails have many hills and mud holes along the trails actully there is a road call mud road that is like it's called muddy. You can find all kinds of trail riding there, the trails go for many miles over several mountains. I know that you have to be very careful because the riders go both ways and there are many blind areas. You ask if there are trails at the coal bank, yes but where we park it a better place if your trail riding and you don't have a permit. I have a permit but most of the people I see up there don't. I hope this helps.
Big Al

2old2race
11-27-2007, 03:06 PM
:confused:
That map link is as good as it gets!
It brings you straight into downtown Trevorton.
From that spot, you look up...and there's the hills!

2old2race
11-27-2007, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Meat
PLEASE TAKE YOUR TRASH HOME WITH YOU
I have to say this has to be a big one. There is trash everywhere.
Between that and rednecks riding without helmets :blah: , that has to be the two worst things about Trevorton. Everything else is NICE! :devil:

DE400EX
11-27-2007, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by 2old2race
:confused:
That map link is as good as it gets!
It brings you straight into downtown Trevorton.
From that spot, you look up...and there's the hills!

Yea i know, dont know what i was thinking when i posted that.

DE400EX
11-27-2007, 03:12 PM
I have to say this has to be a big one. There is trash everywhere.
Between that and rednecks riding without helmets :blah: , that has to be the two worst things about Trevorton. Everything else is NICE! :devil:

Yea it is a mess, i made sure we picked our stuff up. I hate see'n that crap. One of the best places to ride around and some lazy *** will ruin it eventually.

2old2race
11-27-2007, 03:15 PM
Meat,
The Glen Burn coal bank in Shamokin, can you ride on it at all? Can you ride the trails from Treverton to Shamokin to the Glen Burn bank? That would be worth the trip on the trails just to see the bank. I like to climb the bank but I enjoy trial riding more then hill climbing. About 10 of us are planing on comming up to Treverton Dec. 2 if the weather isn't below 40 and it's not raining. So if the weather permits some of you guys and gals will see us parked at Smurf pond. Catch you later.
Big Al
I hate to intrude, but would you allow 2 more to ride with your group?
I have been there twice and would like to know more about the trails.
Plus, I don't know where this smurf pond is. Coal hill=yes; smurf pond=no.
thanks.

2old2race
11-27-2007, 03:17 PM
Yea it is a mess, i made sure we picked our stuff up. I hate see'n that crap. One of the best places to ride around and some lazy *** will ruin it eventually.
Yep.
It all gets ruined- sooner or later. :(

BigAl73
11-27-2007, 08:02 PM
2old2race,
Sure you can ride with us, the more the merrier. We're going this Sunday leaving Pine Grove about 9:30 - 10:00 and would make it to Treverton around 11:00's. What direction do you come from? We could meet on the way in like say the gas station in Lavelle if you go that way. I'll give you my cell # and you can call me so we can talk or you can e-mail me at Bigal73@hotmail.com.
Big Al

quadracer707
11-27-2007, 08:04 PM
Hey Meat & to old to ride,

Thanx for your consideration on the litter & meatballs that ride without a helmet. I live in this town & i enjoy going up to coal hill to watch guys fly up coal hill. However the litter that is being left behind is pitiful. This will without a doubt keep Ranger Rick(the cop) on his heels to shut that place down. Also when riding in town on the main streets knock it off. This is WHY ranger rick will come upto the coal banks & arrest. Please keep it clean for the locals or you will see it being shut down. Have consideration to take home with what you brought.

Thanx Ken

BigAl73
11-27-2007, 08:22 PM
quadracer707

When we go up we take all we bring and more. I like you respect the privilege to use the area and am shocked at the lack of respect. I often pick up items laying around so it helps out in some ways but we often talk on our way out about the trash. I've seen couches, mattress, bottles, cans, you name it. I thought about bringing my boys from Hershey up to clean up for community service but what would I do with the trash? I can offer the help but I can't take it out. Any suggestions?
Big Al

2old2race
11-27-2007, 08:27 PM
2old2race,
Sure you can ride with us, the more the merrier. We're going this Sunday leaving Pine Grove about 9:30 - 10:00 and would make it to Treverton around 11:00's. What direction do you come from? We could meet on the way in like say the gas station in Lavelle if you go that way. I'll give you my cell # and you can call me so we can talk or you can e-mail me at Bigal73@hotmail.com.
Big Al
Ahh...I'm an early morning kinda guy.
We leave around 6 or 7'ish to arrive typically by 8 or 9A.
It takes us 2 hours to get there.
This Sunday, we would probably be heading back home around lunch.
It's just hard with having a family to vindicate going riding all sunday before heading back to work Monday.
Believe me, sleeping in a bit Sunday would be nice. But, its just hard with weekends being so short and all.

nasty88r
11-27-2007, 08:30 PM
Hey BigAl what is the permit for?? Is this part of the Reading Anthricite permit thing?? I thought no one bothered you at this place?

BigAl73
11-27-2007, 08:44 PM
nasty88r

Nobody has bothered us for about a year and yes the permit is a Reading Anthracite requirement. That was before the accident around July 4 th when a rider was seriously hurt and sued Jack Rich. He shut everything down for a year but some still went up to ride. I'm just one of those guy that would rather have the insurance and permit to protect myself or anyone else. Before the accident they were taking trucks out on a tiltbed.
Big Al

nasty88r
11-27-2007, 09:06 PM
what road do you use to park back at the pond?? And also is anyone from the Philly area?? I am looking for a realistic time frame on how long it takes to get there.. Mapquest says 2:45 that is kind of a long haul to risk getting towed..

2old2race
11-28-2007, 09:34 AM
I believe you guys are talking about 2 different places. RAC is east of Trevorton. Trevorton is free. RAC sells annual passes for $100. Correct?????

BigAl73
11-28-2007, 12:12 PM
I'm telling you that you are required to have a $100 permit from
Reading Anthracite becuause I have one. You guys are confusing each other about the facts and not reading the posts. I have stated in the past what is required to ride at Treverton. I also have stated several time that nobody has checked for over a year, I have yet to see anyone told to leave or towed out since the accident. nasty88r , you don't have to worry about beeing towed out. If your interesed where we park let me know the next time you're coming up and I can meet you if we're going up or I can try to explain the location to you.
Big Al

CD400EX
11-28-2007, 12:41 PM
Are there any trail maps availible? Is it just for quads or can you take a 4x4 there too?

BigAl73
11-28-2007, 12:50 PM
No you can take trucks, I see all kinds of vehicles up there.
Big Al

2old2race
11-28-2007, 02:05 PM
Ah, so all that land is owned by RAC.
I thought just the area in Pottsville was theirs as referenced by their website.
I guess that is just their main office address.

CD400EX
11-28-2007, 03:41 PM
All my toys are registered and insured in NJ. Do I need any other paperwork?

BigAl73
11-28-2007, 04:45 PM
I don't know about out of state but if you like I can check into it for you.
Big Al

CD400EX
11-28-2007, 05:06 PM
Yes that would be great, thank you.

What sites can I look at to find more info about this place?

2old2race
11-28-2007, 06:08 PM
Please correct me if I'm wrong BigAl, but the Trevorton in which we are speaking is just coal hills and miles of wooded area.
There is not a single thing official about it. lol

It is a lot like the old Tower City. You pull in, unload your bike/quad, gear up, and ride. It is not supervised, maintained, or monitored.

Granted, I have only been there twice, and know very little more than riding at the hills.

But, if you use the search that was linked in here around page 3 or 4, it will take you to where you can see the hills. There is absolutely NO missing them.

As for worrying about being kicked out, I have never heard of this happening to anyone riding when I have been there. It sounds to me that the people riding the main roads are probably locals getting home. As for littering, a couple times I saw people unloading their vehicles of junk and making burn piles.

The first time I was there, there was a group of locals trashing the area while they had almost a DOZEN CHILDREN running loose all day amongst riders.

To me, the people that drive 2 hours to ride somewhere are the ones who are going to make damn sure to keep things orderly. It's typically the locals that take it for granted.

But back to the point, do a mapquest from Trevorton to Tower City. Should you (for whatever reason) get kicked out of Trevorton, you can always pay $45 to ride the rest of the day at Tower City.

We are actually going to be there Saturday morning now. Sunday's weather looks pretty bad. :(

2old2race
11-28-2007, 06:12 PM
One last question, since i am going at what appears an 'off time':
Should we park out front of coal hill and ride to the back of the hills along the main road that wraps over to the left and up around- where do we then go to find this Smurf's pond?

Thanks, and good luck to everyone!

BigAl73
11-28-2007, 08:01 PM
2old2race

As I have been saying in the past, you need a permit to ride at Treverton only because it is owned by Reading Anthracite. They require you to have a permit to ride on their land, to get your permit you need to have your vehicle registered (quad and bike with DNRC) and proof of insurance for that vehicle whatever it may be. Now as I have said in the past they haven't checked in about a year ever since we have been allowed back on the land since the accident. Before the accident they were pulling and trucking (tilt bed) vehicles out. The permit is to drive on all of the land owned by Reading Anthracite not just up at Treverton and they own more up around the coal bank at Treverton I think somewhere around 2000 acres. I hope I finally answered your questions. Oh the permit for Reading Anthracite is $100 for a year at Rausch Creek it's like $65 a day (no year passes) and you can only ride certain times because they close the park. Tower City rates are $300 a person for a year, do you get my drift. As far as off season you can ride all year as we do but many riders put their quad away in the winter, we don't so you can park anywhere we just chose to park at Smurf Pond because nobody else does and its quick access to the trials.

BigAl

BIGCATDAVE
11-29-2007, 04:44 AM
Question for BigAl73:

I've been putting off getting the RAC permit because I've heard about alot of lawlessness around the RAC propertys. Is the Treverton area quieter? I used to ride south east of RAC, but the local residents started getting violent and I really don't want to get into a confrontation with anyone since I ride alot with my kids.

Info for 2old2race:

Tower City is under new management. No more day riders. You can still ride for the day IF you go with a member. Members can sign in up to 3 guests per day. You still need to pay the daily fee.

BigAl73
11-29-2007, 07:14 PM
BIGCATDAVE
To some extent some are, but we just ride defensive. If you go up with a group that group usually ride and stay together and nobody bothers you. From time to time we have to ask for items (tire plugs, air compressor) when away from our vehicle. We haven’t had any problems other then observing reckless drivers.
Big Al

Eviltanker
11-30-2007, 07:50 AM
To say it's all locals that trash the place is wrong. I ride only with the locals up there( all my military friends live there) We do not pile our trash up there,nor do we condone it. The biggest problem is from the Idiot locals that drive there cars on the trails and dump there garbage. To say the local riders are harsh is wrong. They have been riding that area since they were little. They know every inch of that place. When the out of area riders started acting like they own the place the local riders got a little defensive. Everyone on here would be the same if the tables were turned, Everyone here has to admit to it. It all comes down to respect, You show themsome respect and they will do it to you.
If you leave your aluminum cans at the whale back, smurfs pond,mud road,or neatly at the coal hill, An old dude comes out and collects them and turns them in for change. NOT TRASH!

2old2race
11-30-2007, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Eviltanker
To say it's all locals that trash the place is wrong. I ride only with the locals up there( all my military friends live there) We do not pile our trash up there,nor do we condone it. The biggest problem is from the Idiot locals that drive there cars on the trails and dump there garbage. To say the local riders are harsh is wrong. They have been riding that area since they were little. They know every inch of that place. When the out of area riders started acting like they own the place the local riders got a little defensive. Everyone on here would be the same if the tables were turned, Everyone here has to admit to it. It all comes down to respect, You show themsome respect and they will do it to you.
If you leave your aluminum cans at the whale back, smurfs pond,mud road,or neatly at the coal hill, An old dude comes out and collects them and turns them in for change. NOT TRASH!
I am assuming this was directed to me.
I was in no way implying that only 'locals' cause problems.
I was merely stating that I have spotted vehicles off trails dropping off trash to either burn or to simply let lay. That I would imagine would be a local Trevorton resident and not someone who would drive 2 hours in which to do so.
Typically I have found that people that spend the time to drive 100+ miles to ride somewhere cherish it more than someone who simply rides over thorugh their backyard.
I did not mean to imply ONLY the locals are causing problems by any means.
Simply what I observed with a couple incidences.

Either way, _anyone_ that litters is an ***. And riding through town on the streets.... :rolleyes:

sully55
11-30-2007, 09:25 AM
I agree with you guys, anyone who dumps trash, especially stuff like old tires, couches, plastic etc.... are the worst. I wish the police, and environmentalist would take a little heat off us atv riders, and apply it to the dumpers. The fines for dumping the above items should be harsh. In my opinion, and call my bias cause I ride, dumpers are much worse for the land, and environment then atv's will ever be. If I see someone dumping out of a pick up truck when Im riding, I try to get the plate #, and turn it in to the local police department. Anyway my 2 cents. Thanks

Meat
11-30-2007, 08:54 PM
IMO, 95% of the trash comes from locals who are not offroaders. They have an old couch or some garbage bags of diapers or terrible stuff like that, so they drive up into the woods and chuck it out on the trails. Beleive me, its 100 times better than it was 10 years ago.
There have been locals who have "yelled" at me for promoting the Trevorton riding area, but IMO, the offroad community has been a blessing, and the vast majority of offroaders are great people and don't litter.
I held an event called "coalfest" in 2004 where we got about 100 ATV riders and camped out for a three day weekend near an area we call "the flats", its just up the road from Coal Hill. Me and two of my buddies cleaned up the area before the event and got two full pickup truck loads of garbage out of there. We had a great time too, Coalfest was a huge success.

And for the record, most of the locals refer to the strip mine lands that extend from Shamokin to Trevorton as "the strippins". Coal Hill, the flats, the whaleback, the sandpits etc are all found in "the strippins" :)

Have fun riding guys, be safe and if you ever see me riding make sure you wave me down and say hello. I usually ride by myself and I ride an all red(no graphics) Honda 250r with red Roll Design A-arms and QuadTech carbon fiber hood.

denny

quadracer707
11-30-2007, 09:04 PM
Be careful this weekend up here Hunting season is in & a lot of locals ride the roads & trails in search of dear, ( & for some if its moving the will shot ) where brite colors like flouracant orange & stand out,. Also game commission might travel up there more especially looking for litterers (sp)I have sen them arrest people hunting that droped there sandwich bags. BE WARE

KEN

Meat
11-30-2007, 11:22 PM
Good point Ken. Hunting season is in full swing, we used to hunt alot out by the fire tower near Coal Hill. No one's tellin' you to stay away for the two week rifle season, but if you had to ride somewhere else for those two weeks, im sure the hunters wouldn't mind:) . Honestly, I used to like it when I see a quad coming while im hunting. I figured it might get the deer movin'. There's no hunting on Sundays in Pa, so rip it up on Sunday ! Just watch out for stray bullets on Saturdays:eek2:

bosshogg1
11-30-2007, 11:29 PM
is there any body from phila going there anytime soon

boosted3g
12-01-2007, 09:25 AM
Id be willing to go for a first time. If your coming from phili perhaps we can meet on the way up. I can get you to pottsville but i dont know exactly where 225 is but it cant be that hard to find. I saw there was a last ride for some posted but lets get one more together. Any veterans that have been there want to take charge and get something together? Make it for mid december or something, a week or 2 before christmas.

BigAl73
12-01-2007, 10:40 AM
We were going this Sunday but the wheather isn't going to cooperate. I'm not from Phila but I could meet you just off of 81 at Pine Grove if we make plans I can take you up. If we make plans we have to communicate up to the last day becuse of the wheather. I can't go this year anymore but maybe in January if it isn't to cold or to much snow on the ground. Depending on the wheather we may have to wait until spring.
Big Al

DE400EX
12-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Dont think we'll be up the rest of the year either.... weekends full off xmas tuff to do.

Eviltanker
12-01-2007, 02:09 PM
I am assuming this was directed to me.
I was in no way implying that only 'locals' cause problems.
I was merely stating that I have spotted vehicles off trails dropping off trash to either burn or to simply let lay. That I would imagine would be a local Trevorton resident and not someone who would drive 2 hours in which to do so.
Typically I have found that people that spend the time to drive 100+ miles to ride somewhere cherish it more than someone who simply rides over thorugh their backyard.
I did not mean to imply ONLY the locals are causing problems by any means.
Simply what I observed with a couple incidences.

Either way, _anyone_ that litters is an ***. And riding through town on the streets.... :rolleyes:

I Agree , It is the local poobutts that don't ride that are the worst with the trash. Sorry if I offended you bud, didn't mean it that way towards any one

Meat
12-01-2007, 02:47 PM
Trevorton weather report

Tonight: Cloudy skies with late-night snow showers. Low 22F. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 60%.

Tomorrow: A mixture of wintry precipitation in the morning. Then mainly freezing rain in the afternoon. Cold. High 32F. Winds SE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precip 80%.

Tomorrow night: Freezing rain in the evening...changing to rain. Low around 30F. Winds SSE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precip 90%.

Monday: Windy with mostly cloudy skies. High 37F. Winds W at 20 to 30 mph.

Tuesday: Windy with a few snow showers. Highs in the low 30s and lows in the low 20s.

Wednesday: Snow showers at times. Highs in the mid 30s and lows in the low 20s.

2old2race
12-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Yep...which is exactly why I am setting here at the computer typing this instead of riding. :ermm:

boosted3g
12-02-2007, 07:11 PM
I dropped to ball, I should have suscribed to the thread because i didnt check it last night or i would have gone. On a positive note I did spend some time pi$$ing off the neighbors. I love power slides on icy streets. Who says sleet and freezing rain are a bad thing. It was however very cold and wet, i was soaked after about 45 minutes.

B.Murphy73
12-03-2007, 01:38 AM
I am looking to go for the first time and i am from east stroudsburg.When i clicked the link it brought me to the coal site web site i then click the rules for permits but when the women emailed me back she said the permits are only good until jan. then i would have to get another and that they are limited.My quad is insured and registered and i am unsure about what to do because that would suck real bad to have someone take it from me.Thanks for the info.

2old2race
12-03-2007, 08:12 AM
That website is for the main plant.
Trevorton is elsewhere.
Yes, ike Tower City, permits are not pro-rated.
You join now, you pay for a 2007 permit (should they have any left).
So, you are best off waiting until the beginning of 2008 and paying $100 ofr a permit.

I wonder why with all the people riding there for free, they would limit permits? Why not try to collect as much money as possible?

I may get up there this coming Sunday. I'll probably bring my son again. He can't stop talking about the last time we went. ;)

gmfreek2000
12-28-2007, 02:39 PM
any one going up to coal hill tommorow,what are the trail conditions like?

aroxychik
01-07-2008, 09:45 AM
anyone going up tomorrow? sposta be 65! Never been on a weekday during winter so was also curious if there are actually people there, or odds of getting in trouble are more, etc...

chatsworth wont let you ride during the week unless your a yearly member, and rausch is closed during the week no exceptions...

i just wish i knew someone with farmland or something lol they put posted signs up on the wooded area across the street a couple months ago so thats out too

CD400EX
01-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Has anyone gotten their permits yet this year? How many are they giving out? I know it was 800 last year. I'm just waiting on my new insurance card for my quad then I'm getting my permit right away.

BigAl73
01-20-2008, 07:31 PM
I'm going up this week to get my permit. As for last year they gave out 1300 permits I know because when I went for mine they were at 865 and she told me they were going up to 1300.
Big Al

B.Murphy73
01-20-2008, 08:03 PM
I am even more confused then when i first started looking at this post..I posted that i had went on the coal web site for my permit but then was told that is not treverton how many places are we talking about and which are legal to ride on? Thanks...

BigAl73
01-21-2008, 08:33 AM
B.Murphy73

Read my post from the beginning and you should understand. If you still don't ask your questions and I will answer the best I can.
Big Al

aroxychik
01-21-2008, 10:27 AM
in my interpretation...
it's "acceptable" to ride @ the actual coal hills, it is not acceptable to ride on the miles and miles of trails that are all around that place w/o a permit.

2old2race
01-21-2008, 11:32 AM
This thread has a life of it's own! lol
Be like myself and 99% of everyone else riding...skip the permit.
I have yet to discover someone with a permit when I am riding.
I park right along the front of coal hill and have never had a problem.
Even for $100, it is worth every penny though. But, for me, I am going to keep the $100 in my pocket and keep riding as everyone else is.

Just try to be mindful of this unique situation and don't litter, or otherwise act like an idiot. ;)

BigAl73
01-21-2008, 01:25 PM
2old2race is correct; in that not many people have permits and if you act sensible there probably won't be an issue. For me, $100 which I just what I spent to renewed my permit today, is worth the trouble considering what everyone else charges and if I do get stopped I'm legal.

aroxychik ,
If you have a permit you can ride coal hill and the trails around most of Treverton and beyond for miles. The places that have yellow gates up, you should stay out of, they are active coal mines. Read the memo on the Reading Anthracite web page for the permits, it explains the expectations for the permit. I hope this answers your questions or at least helps?
Big Al

2old2race
01-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Yes, and I will reiterate...if you are nervous- spend the $100.
This place is a blast!
MUCH better than Tower City.

squadie
01-21-2008, 05:00 PM
Anyone ride other RAC properties besides Trevorton? The map RAC gave me today shows only stuff east of Trevorton, so I'm curious who's riding in those spots and exactly where. Thanks.

BigAl73
01-21-2008, 07:09 PM
squadie

When were you up at Pottsville today getting your permit? I was up at 11:50 and a guy and son from New Jersey was getting his permits. To answer your question about the map; this is the first year they gave us a map and I know the property at Trevorton is RAC land and we were allowed to ride on it with a permit before. If that changed I don't know I never asked about the map and what county we can ride on. I will keep riding up there until I'm told otherwise.
Big Al

squadie
01-21-2008, 07:37 PM
I was up at about 9:30 today. They looked ready for a big crowd...coffee, donuts...real nice folks. Too bad I didn't take a look around town. I didn't realize Yuengling was there until I got back home! Had heard a lot about Cabela's so I stopped there.

I'm not worried about Trevorton being RAC. I originally thought that was the main area that required the permit. But when I looked at the RAC map, it showed so many other places. So I'm just wondering about other possible riding areas. St Clair, Minersville, etc. Ran into some other guys going in to get their permits. Like me and I'm sure a lot of folks, they used to ride at TC. Hopefully Rausch will turn that around, but the dues have gotten too high and the trails never showed improvement in my four years of riding there. (Unless you think mile markers are a big improvement.)

gmfreek2000
02-04-2008, 02:00 PM
WOW i have been going there for 6 years now and have never seen a cop,and never had a problem,the locals are really nice and always willing to give a helping hand when im in need,seems like to me that some people just dont respect the area,i always see people riding the streets and horsing around,we always respect the land and the area around it because we have no place to ride in new york and have to travel 4 hours just to ride,it would suck if we lost this spot,not only for us but trevertons local economy,me and my friends go up at least once a month and spend the weekend,we always stop at the little place just before coal hill and eat breakfast,i think its called hannans or something,we also gas up right in town,and eat lunch at the bar by coal hill,sometimes we stay at the wayside inn also,all i can say is that its just sucks!!!

sully55
02-04-2008, 02:27 PM
^^^^^

I agree, but sometimes too much information about a certain place is revealed in a post, and next thing you know everybody knows about it. Thats when you get the majority of the " BAD APPLES" who go up and abuse the place, leave trash, ride on the streets flipping people off in cars, and no helmets. Thats what the locals have been telling me, and people have had enough, hence the police presence. So, looks like another place is about to bite the dust. I dont mind sharing riding spots, but I always make an effort to meet someone, before I tell them about a riding area, and when I do its in a pm, or phone conversation. As far as the near future is concerned, if you have a RAC permit, and ride on RAC land, and have a mature attitude you should not have a problem. Good luck, ride safe.......

Evader53
02-14-2008, 07:00 PM
Time for me to pitch in here... I own an RAC permit and it is worth every single penny.

In the first week I began riding the RAC land a security guy waved me down and checked, it would have been a $300 fine had I not had the permit.

However, this was not around the treverton area, but more around Pottsville (Saint Clair). I still am yet to explore Trevorton, and ride there without a permit for all I care.

BUT let me warn you, ride anywhere else on RAC land besides Trevorton and buy a permit... I have been stopped numerous times and seen other people stopped. Land around St. Clair, Minersville, McAdoo, and Pottsville IS patrolled and you WILL be fined if caught.

Please however, ride safe, ride respectively, and pick up your and others trash! After reading this thread, I'll be sure to head up to Trevorton WITH my permit soon, and check out some of the climbs and trails they've got to offer.

Enjoy!

BigAl73
02-24-2008, 06:44 PM
Some of us are planning to go up to to ride at Trevorton in March around Easter. Either the 15 th/16th or 22nd/23rd if anyone is going up maybe we can meet and trail ride together.
Big Al

nasty88r
02-24-2008, 08:54 PM
Anyone know if there are any passes left and how many they started out with this year??

BigAl73
02-25-2008, 04:07 PM
I think she mentioned that they were going to hand out around 1000, and I know they didn't sell that many as of now.
Big Al

Evader53
02-26-2008, 05:27 AM
They still have between 400 and 500 permits left to sell.

boosted3g
02-27-2008, 06:19 PM
IM planning on going up friday for mine and then going for a ride. Hopefully someone will be up there riding because i have never been up there before and its not the safest thing to ride alone.

BigAl73
02-27-2008, 07:31 PM
boosted3g,
You should never ride at Trevorton alone there are so many areas that you could get hurt or even if you get a flat or break down. When we ride there we always have at least 6 and as many as 15 together. Don't depend on someone to ride with you at Trevorton because at this time of year not many ride there or they may not want to ride with you.
Big Al

RoadRage77
03-01-2008, 08:51 AM
Anybody been up towards Treverton, shamokin, ashland area lately? Just curious if anyone has had any problems ??

nasty88r
03-17-2008, 08:19 AM
Does anyone know how to get the maps of Reading Anthracite property. They tell you to go on the Schuylkill county site to get maps but it is very confusing does anyone have any maps of the best places to go. They own alot of property and I am sure there are alot of spots not worth going to?? Anyone??:confused:

BigAl73
03-17-2008, 03:51 PM
We were up this past Saturday. Had a great time. We meet a 4 wheel club and watched them at mud road and a couple other places. I'm going to post some of the video on YouTube. But we didn't have any trouble we rode for 4 1/2 hours and saw the 4 wheel club that had about 40 to 50 people and about 25 vehicles, and about 30 other riders.
Thanks,
Big Al

Hondamaster5505
03-23-2008, 06:54 PM
Hey guys.

Well, me, my dad, and a couple other people ALWAYS head up to Ashland to ride. Thats really the only place we've been to up there.

We wanted to head to Trevorton sometime soon. Are there any permits left? How big is the place? Is it nice riding?

Just give me as much info as possible please. We met a local up in ashland, dont know if you know him. Roy, he rides a black SE banshee. Well, he showed is a couple new places in ashland, and said theres trails that lead to Shamokin and Trevorton. We were thinking of driving there and having him meet us to show us around the place. He knows all the trails.

Also, can you camp out there? We wanted to stay there for 2-3 days.
Where do you buy permits?

CD400EX
03-24-2008, 04:34 PM
You buy the permits at the Reading Anthracite office in Pottsville during normal business hours. Last I heard there were about 400 left.

jim713
03-25-2008, 07:30 AM
Hey - I want to go riding tommorrow, Wed, 3/26! Great forecast, 1st time using my permit & first time riding the area! Sure could use some guidance, I'll buy beers & wings after.
- Jim

02raptor_rider
03-27-2008, 07:39 AM
A group of us are going up to ride this Saturday. We usually park on the flats on your right going down the hill just before Treverton. I have a 94 Ford F250 blue and white we could have a dark blue 06 F150 also. Maybe I'll see you up there.
Big Al

BigAl73
03-27-2008, 07:43 AM
02raptor_rider

The last post was me but somehow I was listed as 02 raptor rider, anyway I just wanted to correct that.
Big Al

jim713
03-28-2008, 11:41 AM
BigAl - thanks for letting me know, unfortunatly have to work Saturday or else I would have been there! I'm off Sunday if anyone will be there then. Please keep me in mind for the future.
- Jim (BuzzDog)

BigAl73
03-31-2008, 05:23 PM
We were up riding at Trevorton Sat had a great time, there was around 30 riders. Six of us rode almost 5 hours and traveled just shy of 60 miles. All the guys and one girl were 36 and under I'm 53. They were complaing about how sore they were, the only problem I had was my right shoulder that I dislocated up there last year and my right throtle hand. Well this is my 3 ride this year it was the first for 3 of them and we hit some trails that were all rocks.
Big Al

2old2race
04-10-2008, 01:58 PM
Bringing the TREVORTON THREAD back alive again...I'm finally getting back up there this Saturday.
For a refresher, if I am out front of the coal hills looking up and then ride the long path that goes right up the main hill and then across the top to the parking lot in the back....where do I then go to hit the miles and miles of trails?
If I ride through the parking lot in the back is it the main road that goes off to the right?
We have in the past followed the trail that goes along the power lines for a while, but ended up in some large open grass field.

Oh yeah, we also took a trail that is the very end of the front parking area that took us onto private property. How do we know it was private property? The guy holding a hunting rifle let us know! :eek2:

nasty88r
04-21-2008, 08:34 PM
Check this out

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19480086&BRD=2715&PAG=461&dept_id=558782&rfi=6

BigAl73
04-22-2008, 02:57 PM
2old2race,
If you want to ride with us on Sautrday you can. Just send me a PM and we can communicate about the time and meet place.
Big Al

silenpro
09-20-2008, 10:31 PM
first time i actually saw security in there checking for passes. are they checking often now.

BigAl73
09-21-2008, 07:19 PM
I think ever since the fatalities and accidents they had to start checking again to protect themselves. Did they catch anyone without a pass? If so what did they do?
Big Al

silenpro
09-21-2008, 07:35 PM
yea they checked our passes wich we dont have n then told us to leave. is there a way to get one online or by mail? i dont live close.

BigAl73
09-21-2008, 07:57 PM
I don't think so, I think you need to purchase them in person at Pottsville. You need to show that you have your ATV or motorcycle regestered and insured. They have a website that you can e-mail them with your question. Maybe they'll let you mail your information to them with a check. It never hurts to ask, the website is Reading Antracite. Do a google search and you'll get the site.
Big Al

desmo888
09-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Big Al,
Thanks for all your tips. I just went yesterday (Sat. Sept. 20) and had an unbelieveable BLAST!
I tried to bring my 7 year old son but he backed out. I went with a few friends.
Hours of relatively mild climbs while watching the sicko's do the major stuff. Also, hours of trail riding. Unbelieveable!
I recommend a cheap hand held GPS. We used it several times to know how to get back.
We didn't have passes but I saw no patroling. It really was unreal.
I climbed some killer slopes (for an old gut) and got stuck in a few "puddles" (the much is rather thick and deep in some of them).
I am gong to get my pass next year. I only wish my son was allowed to ride. His DRX90 needs some room to breathe!

Cheers,
Dave in Lancaster, PA

gabespal
10-25-2008, 09:21 AM
Anyone still riding out at the mine in Trevorton. Hoping to take a shot out there in early Nov. I'm 3 hours at least away from their, but it sounds like it is worth it.

Shout out to BigAl. Your info is greatly appriciated.

2old2race
10-25-2008, 11:05 AM
Any of you guys go to Somerset yet?
That is my new favorite place. It doesn't have the hill climbing Trevorton offers.
But for fast, one-way trail riding, it is the best!

gabespal
10-25-2008, 02:22 PM
Somerset is a good five and a half hours away from me. Why is this better than trevorton. If I were to travel 5.5 hours I think I would head to upstate NY. Lewis County NY is VERY ATV friendly with over 500 miles of trails.

For the distance I'm still interested in Trevorton. So I ask,Is anyone still riding in treverton.

2old2race I would still like to know more about Somerset

2old2race
10-25-2008, 06:54 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't drive 5.5 hours for it! lol
It is great. look at mountainridgeatvtrails.com for more info.

I do like Trevorton a lot! But Trevorton is 2 hours; Somerset 2.5 from me. Trevorton is more free riding which is great for large open riding.
Somerset is totally groomed. They have a drag strip, mud bog, one way trails, and kids and 'adult' tracks.

Their trails are one-way. So, there is nothing more fun than going all out knowing noone else is coming!

Personally, i would wait until Quad Fest to drive 5.5 hours. I have never gone to one. But have heard it is awesome. i have a bike and have been to several bike weeks. I am thinking this is the equivalent for off road....minus all the nudity. :(

gabespal
10-30-2008, 08:48 PM
I was just watching some video on youtube.Is trevorton more than hillclimbs. Do they also have trails.

abumonkey-420
11-12-2008, 08:23 AM
i rode there 15 years ago it was a blast i think i migjht go back up in two weeks the weekend of the 22nd .we should have a big blast weekend camping trip... is there anyone else down ?

DE400EX
11-12-2008, 02:46 PM
Dont forget about hunting season.

gabespal
11-12-2008, 08:12 PM
I still would like to know if Trevorton has a lot of trail riding or is it mostly hill climbes. As far as Nov 22, like the man before said, you have to be carful during hunting season. I know you can't hunt on Sunday's in Pa, so that might be the best day to ride. Maybe I can get a small group together for the day.

Hey Big Al, are you up for a Sunday 11/23 ride in Trevorton.

2old2race - have you been back to Somerset lately. Do their trails claose, if so when, or are they open all season.

BigAl73
12-03-2008, 07:14 PM
gabespal
Sorry I missed your post. A group of guys from my area went up last Friday but I had work to do around the house. The last time I was riding was 3 weeks ago 2 Rhinos and I with my 450 Kodiak rode from Pine Grove to the 901 pub for lunch and drinks then rode at Minersville before heading home. It was a 80 mile trip we had lots of fun. I'll keep you posted if we go up again. Also I'm thinking of buying a Rhino now too to go along with my collection.
Big Al

gabespal
12-04-2008, 06:29 AM
Glad to see the Trevorton thread still alive. Funny thing about you riding this weekend is the family and I went right past you on 89 to Snoe Shoe Rails to Trails. We had a great time, drove out Friday, rode saturday and came home. Long day but worth it. That same weekend NYATVOnline (a club near me) had a ride somewhere in Pottsville Pa., this weekend but I didn't see the posting for that, my fault, and missed that too. I 'ld like to ride out your way sometime. If you go again, and could give me some advance notice I would try to go with the family. 80 miles sound like a good ride.

I think I have one more quad in my future, that way I have the family covered. Like I've said, a family that ATV's together, goes broke together.

If I don't hear from you sooner I'll take this time to say "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family"

If you would rather email me regarding future ride that would be fine. I believe you have my email address, and I check it often.

2old2race
12-04-2008, 09:38 AM
I haven't been there for a while.
I have actually been going to somerset instead.
Last year i went just about every month druing the winter time.

I believe in December last year, my son and I were riding in the snow! lol

gabespal
12-10-2008, 10:03 PM
2old2race - Somerset is out past SSRT(Snow Shoe Rails to Trails). Have you ever been there and is Somerset better trails than SSRT. Thinking about running the machines out this weekend at Trevorton. Big Al, maybe we'll see you there. Anyone else ridding at Trevorton this weekend. I might be bringing 3-5 riders

TargetBow
01-22-2009, 03:03 PM
This is the info you requested. If you need more info then this just shoot me an e-mail.

Big Al

The permits are on sale again for the 2009 season. Here is the link to the information that reading anthracite has on their site.
Same link that Big Al posted above.

BigAl73
01-26-2009, 04:46 PM
I picked up my permit last Monday they are selling 900 and are around #200. We went up to Trevorton on Saturday had a blast in the snow and ice. The ride is smoother in those conditions. I met a rider and his girlfriend from Long Island NY that had PMed me asking me to show them around. He and his girlfriend enjoyed themself, I even drove into the forbiden land. That's where the owner shoots at you with a shotgun. I just had to do it for the fun of it.
In ATVs we trust,
Big Al

gabespal
01-26-2009, 05:06 PM
With a Trevorton permit is it only weekends or is it 7 days a week

BigAl73
01-26-2009, 05:27 PM
It's 7 days a week 365 days a year, no down time at Trevorton. We hit the trails in all kinds of weather, we're real ATV riders.
Big Al

gabespal
01-27-2009, 09:30 PM
Big Al when are you going there again> I've been seriously thinking of getting permits but I don't know my way around. If I have 4 riders I guess I'll need four permits, right.

BigAl73
01-28-2009, 08:16 AM
Well your suppose to have a permit for every person. I don't know what they would do other than ask you to leave if everyone doesn't have one. You must have one at least for your vehicle or they will tow it away. You need to post your signed agreement on your dash or they will tow it away. I suggest everyone get one, it's only $100 per person that's very reasonable compared to what Rouch Creek and some of the others are charging. I can post or let you know if you PM me to give me your e-mail. It will be in the next 2 or 3 week when I go up again. With this weather its fun but just not the same as dirt. I hope this helped? Just ask me what you want and I'll do my best to answer.

RATPACK Z400
01-28-2009, 12:36 PM
we use to ride towercity, got bothered about parking moved 2 exits up forgot name of city or town Im thinking something like scakesville? is towercity located near trevorton ?thought I rode in there from where we were but was so long ago.By the way PA IS the best riding in the country IMO have riden dune ofs CA,mexico,AZ cinders,no other place is better than PA!

BigAl73
01-28-2009, 01:02 PM
You may be talking about Minersville that's two exits up from Tower City. That is part of RAC property like Trevorton they own many areas of land. If you purchase the permit you have access to ride on all their property. You can't go wrong with RAC permit. As for Treverton, it's off that exit but you have to take 901 North into Lavell turn left onto High Road that turns into Upper Road in Gowen City about 4 to 5 miles after the crossroads at Gowen City is the Treverton riding areas. I hope this helps.

TargetBow
01-28-2009, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by gabespal
Big Al when are you going there again> I've been seriously thinking of getting permits but I don't know my way around. If I have 4 riders I guess I'll need four permits, right.

Just wanted to let you know that each of the riders in your group would have to be there in person to pick up their own permit, you will not be able to pick one up for them.

BigAl73
01-28-2009, 02:56 PM
That is correct and you need proof of insurance and DCNR current registration. You can have more than one bike registered with RAC but only need one permit per person. I have my 700 Raptor and 450 Kodiak registered with RAC.

gabespal
01-30-2009, 09:43 PM
We are from NY so I thought my NY reg would be sufficient. All my bikes are registered and insured. Will I still need a DNCR permit for RAC. Also my sons girfriend is 20 but doesn't have a license, but she has a valid picture Id. If you guys can help with these answers that would be great otherwise I'll email RAC

BigAl73
02-01-2009, 11:17 AM
Your New York registration is good for RAC. I forgot your in NY and mentioned DCNR, but don't you have something similar in NY.
Thanks,

bubbrubb25
02-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by kostura118
sick pics. reminds me of home (pottsville), im in toronto going to school, done next weekend. cant wait to go ridin again lol pottsville, im from minersville, its a small world.

bubbrubb25
02-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Evader53
Time for me to pitch in here... I own an RAC permit and it is worth every single penny.

In the first week I began riding the RAC land a security guy waved me down and checked, it would have been a $300 fine had I not had the permit.

However, this was not around the treverton area, but more around Pottsville (Saint Clair). I still am yet to explore Trevorton, and ride there without a permit for all I care.

BUT let me warn you, ride anywhere else on RAC land besides Trevorton and buy a permit... I have been stopped numerous times and seen other people stopped. Land around St. Clair, Minersville, McAdoo, and Pottsville IS patrolled and you WILL be fined if caught.

Please however, ride safe, ride respectively, and pick up your and others trash! After reading this thread, I'll be sure to head up to Trevorton WITH my permit soon, and check out some of the climbs and trails they've got to offer.

Enjoy! I ride around the minersville area and ive never been stopped but a few of my friends went on some highspeed chases lol I was thinking about getting a permit so I wont have to do the same :ermm:

BigAl73
02-01-2009, 08:04 PM
bubbrubb25
So your a young buck? I assumed because your going to school as of yet. Maybe I'll see you around when riding up there. Just give me a shout when your headed up there. It won't be for a few weeks for me because of the snow. I was up before we had the last storm and there was 4 inches on the ground and ice. Since the storm there must be 6 to 8 inches there you would need a snowmobile to get around now. Although I have two of them I wouldn't ride them up there with the rocks.
Later,

bubbrubb25
02-02-2009, 01:02 PM
bubbrubb25
So your a young buck? I assumed because your going to school as of yet. Maybe I'll see you around when riding up there. Just give me a shout when your headed up there. It won't be for a few weeks for me because of the snow. I was up before we had the last storm and there was 4 inches on the ground and ice. Since the storm there must be 6 to 8 inches there you would need a snowmobile to get around now. Although I have two of them I wouldn't ride them up there with the rocks.
Later, I'm 16 I ride there often, I went riding yesterday close to there and with bald tires and deep snow didnt do so good lol.

turbojerk
11-15-2009, 07:33 AM
I know that this threads kinda old, but does anyone have and current info on Trevorton rideing area?

My son and I have been really wanting to go ATV'ing somewhere close for a full day of riding but we don't want to get into trouble either...

TIA
Troy

BigAl73
11-15-2009, 05:32 PM
It's still available to ride up there but my understanding is that someone else bought it. They intend in makeing it a user friendly riding area with bathrooms and marked paths, etc. Anyway for now it's the same as before. I may be going up next Sunday for a ride if your interested. Let me know and I'll keep you posted if I go and if I do where we can meet.
BA

turbojerk
11-16-2009, 04:08 AM
It's still available to ride up there but my understanding is that someone else bought it. They intend in makeing it a user friendly riding area with bathrooms and marked paths, etc. Anyway for now it's the same as before. I may be going up next Sunday for a ride if your interested. Let me know and I'll keep you posted if I go and if I do where we can meet.
BA

Thanks for the info! How do we get a waiver??

We (A buddy, my Son and I) are looking to go Saturday if weather permits.

Do you have any further info like exact directions and where to park the truck and trailed?

Thanks
T

gabespal
11-16-2009, 11:32 AM
You may want to rethink the saturday ride Turbojerk. I think the area is open to hunting every day except sunday.

Big Al, you heading up this weekend 11/21

BigAl73
11-16-2009, 12:59 PM
I don't know as of yet because of work and who will ride. Why do you want to go up? As for Saturday riding you are correct about hunting. You know as well as I do that there is a hunting camp there, we drove through it. Also much of that land isn't RAC but private land owed by other companies that allow hunting. So advice is: don't ride on Saturday if you value your life.
Thanks,
BA

turbojerk
11-17-2009, 04:12 AM
At this point I'm probably going to pass. Too many "what if's", uncertainties and I'm surely not in the mood to have my rig towed away....

We did look into Green Ridge OHV park in Md., but my buddy rides a 3-wheeler and the are not permitted there.

Is there anywhere else to go. I don't mind paying for the day if its worth it. I live in Gettysburg so anywhere in a 100 mile radius would do.

Thanks
T

UNBROKEN
11-18-2009, 11:23 AM
theres a bunch of ppl who go to whitehaven pa and ride at ure not going to get towed there because you pay to park , i havent went there yet cuz its alittle far so i have been going to greenridge and im going again this weeend its fun except for a couple of rocky sections that beats ya up

turbojerk
11-19-2009, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by UNBROKEN
theres a bunch of ppl who go to whitehaven pa and ride at ure not going to get towed there because you pay to park , i havent went there yet cuz its alittle far so i have been going to greenridge and im going again this weeend its fun except for a couple of rocky sections that beats ya up

Any more info in whitehaven??

UNBROKEN
11-19-2009, 11:44 AM
theres a website called club700x or something like that just google it and when u get to the site go to the fourm and scroll down to riding spots or something like that and you will see a thread on whitehaven

440rdr1
06-04-2012, 08:21 PM
anyone going up THIS saturday?