PDA

View Full Version : router

400EXtreme
09-25-2007, 08:07 PM
I just got a router because my brother wanted to play stupid halo, and now it keeps kickin me off aim every once and awhile and it is running slower. What can it be?

pro-rider46
09-25-2007, 08:27 PM
i have had similar problems, my router used to to this, but i put it back to default settings and havent had a whole lot of problems since, what kind of router is it?

400EXtreme
09-25-2007, 08:29 PM
its a belkin wireless

pro-rider46
09-25-2007, 08:32 PM
see if it has a lil button on the back off it, and press it in with a pen for about 30 seconds, that may kick you off line for acouple minutes, but it should hopefully help.

someone on here should be able to help you better than i did

Ralph
09-25-2007, 08:44 PM
routers are one of the only things ive never been able to master.

From one day to the next ive had routers start acting completely crazy and could never figure it out.

I have recently heard of some viruses that open many many ports on a router which overload it and slow it down dramatically.

So far my linksys wireless g has been doing pretty good for me. Ive had several different types and learned they all love to crap out on me...

72 chevelle ss
09-25-2007, 10:56 PM
Ours does it a lot too. I just simply unplug it for about 5 seconds, plug it back in and everything is fine.

cbrooks118
09-26-2007, 06:56 AM
my belkin has never failed. On 24/7/365

Exrider434
09-26-2007, 10:11 AM
i just hooked up some wireless in my house, but now te wireless works but the main computer wont!
what could it be?

troyleepred719
09-26-2007, 10:24 AM
should be going from modem, to router, to computer....

when its really slow, unplugg the modem, and the router for about 30 seconds, when you do this, x out of any thing that uses the internet. when it comes bacck on, you should have a stronger and faster internet back...

whiteboycustom
09-26-2007, 11:16 AM
turn off your pc and unplug ur router for a min to be safe and that clears the cache,

400EXtreme
09-26-2007, 04:59 PM
it keeps kickin me off aim and stuff and its really annoying

mineralgrey01gt
09-26-2007, 05:08 PM
Linksys routers ftw. My old D-link wouldnt hook up with Charter communications cable net but my linksys has never failed me.

suck my pipe
09-26-2007, 07:41 PM
A router dose not double your bandwith. When you use a router to split your internet to multiple devices, the internets overall speed remains the same. So you are now pulling from two devices the same amount of bandwith. "Your sharing the same connection and its being split between the computer and xbox 360." If you were only on one at a time you would probably notice normal speeds and no lagging. However if you are on your computer and your brother is on his 360 its going to be slower on both ends.

mephyst
09-27-2007, 01:46 AM
I also have the Linksys wireless G router Ralph. I also have one of their access points. They work great. I have a full signal on both of my laptops anywhere in the house including the garage.

I have 4 desktop computers that are permanently online. My connection is always fast and never have problems...

I have gotten a bad connection before though due to an older Belkin I had bought. The never Belkins are much better, but I still believe in Linksys for overall performance.

I worked at a computer store for awhile (Microcenter) and after awhile of my own use and customer feedback I only sold Linksys products... Plus, if you EVER have a problem their customer service is AMAZING.