PDA

View Full Version : 440 or 416?

10-30-2001, 06:09 PM
I ride trails, some mud, some MX, hills, power slides, want to spin the tires(in dirt) really well. Gotto dust out my buddy on his raptor.:D I heard that the 416kit revs faster is this true? How much faster does it rev? what is the power differance between the two?
And where would the best plce to get the kits be?
And last does Marcum's ATV sell 10:1 ?

10-30-2001, 08:31 PM
I would go with the 440 so all your power needs are satisfied. I would also recommend buying the Curtis Sparks 440 kit.

oynot400
10-31-2001, 06:00 AM
440, you will not be disappointed! :) Also consider putting in a cam at the same time.

10-31-2001, 06:14 AM
Two things I've noticed. IMS seems to be the most popular when it comes to the 440 kit and secondly, you may want to call Marcums ATV. He does the boring and resleeving himself and can answer all of your questions. I can't afford the 440 kit right now and in case I scar my cylinder at some later point I can always upgrade to the 440. The one thing to keep in mind is that with the 440 kit they will have to bore out your cylinder as opposed to the 416 kit they will only have to bore the sleeve. ;)

MOFO
10-31-2001, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by The_Wheel_Man
I would go with the 440 so all your power needs are satisfied. I would also recommend buying the Curtis Sparks 440 kit.

No offense, but I've noticed that when someone asks a question about a product, you always answer with Curtis Sparks. Being that you are a parts distributor, I would think your info is biased towards the product you sell. And judging by all your posts, it sure seems that way. Kinda looks like free advertisement for you...

Ok, to stay on topic...I will be buying a 416 kit myself. I've heard too many good things about it.

Eric

10-31-2001, 07:33 AM
For a woods/trail rider,,,I'd suggest a 416. Puttin around in the woods on a 440 seems like it would run hot,,,now if you were out in the dunes or some wide open areas were you could really put the hammer down,,,440 all the way,,but tight woods riding I think a 416 would benefit you more..and yes get a cam with it so you can really dust your buddy..:D

FlyinRed
10-31-2001, 11:08 AM
Go 416 @ 11 to 1 comp. If that aint enough, stroke it. if that anint enough, go to a 426 bore. If that aint enough-------NITROUS!

FatBoy Redrider
10-31-2001, 07:15 PM
I have an IMS 440 and do only trail riding. It does get pretty hot. If I had it to do all over again, I would do a 416 and stroke it to a 440. Everythign I have seen, sounds like this is a better combo because it revs out better. Have someone like TC racing do it.

11-01-2001, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by VWVR6

No offense, but I've noticed that when someone asks a question about a product, you always answer with Curtis Sparks. Being that you are a parts distributor, I would think your info is biased towards the product you sell. And judging by all your posts, it sure seems that way. Kinda looks like free advertisement for you...

Ok, to stay on topic...I will be buying a 416 kit myself. I've heard too many good things about it.

Eric

VWVR6...tell me about this 416 kit, it sounds real nice. some guy on a red 440ex up where i ride wanted to race me, along with 4 other piped and jetted 400's. i smoked the 400's and if there was another 100 feet of track, i would have beat the 440. i looked at his machine and noticed he had the stock head pipes still on and the stock carberator, which had to be hurting him. i think my quad will benefit best from the 416 kit. its all i need. the 440's rev dont climb fast for some reason, although its got awesome low end.