PDA

View Full Version : mx cam

eganracing
09-25-2007, 05:31 PM
So my current 06 engine has a JE 13.5:1, port and polish, blue printed and balanced crank, hrc cam and header with a white brothers mx4 silencer. Im looking to up the bottom/mid power for mx racing. I was thinking of upgrading to a 14:1 piston, different cam and a full exhaust for next years racing. So my main question is what would be the ideal cam for my needs and engine mods?

BlaineKaiser450
09-25-2007, 06:55 PM
I think a Stg. 1 or 2 would be great

pro-rider46
09-25-2007, 07:08 PM
i have the hc stg 1, and it really helps. especially down low, before the cam it was really hard to pull up a wheelie in third, but now it is like nothing, now i am trying to pull them up in 5th gear,haha

TWISTED
09-25-2007, 07:13 PM
Baldwin has an excellent MX cam too...

ss440ex
09-25-2007, 07:19 PM
Rage atv has some nice cams.....
I have a special rage/web grind for low & mid, works good!!

pro-rider46
09-25-2007, 08:25 PM
do you have to get the spring and valve kit to put in the web cams, i have seen that on there site

mxquadracer115
09-25-2007, 08:27 PM
duncan has a real good mx cam

ss440ex
09-25-2007, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
do you have to get the spring and valve kit to put in the web cams, i have seen that on there site

Some of thier cams,Yes.

I have the oem springs.

hawk-trx
09-25-2007, 10:42 PM
first you have to keep it on all four wheels till the end of the race or no cam will help. (you cost me a buck on sunday)

dont get the baldwin (you already have it)

the only cam i know that makes more power down low is the stage 1 hot cam, but you will be making less in the mid and top. it is hard to beat the cam you are running. alot of the mx cams out there are crf cams and the speed shops sell them for a good reason, they are good cams.

i would check with rage he might have something that will keep the mid and top you have now but also add some bottom.

side note; quads only at dixon monday night, last night was ROUGH so we are doing it again next week.

eganracing
09-25-2007, 10:54 PM
I kept it on all fours. I hit that one dude in the far corner and the bike died on me and took forever to get started. lol were you betting on me? I would have dominated that feild if we didn't get hung up in that far corner. Almost got him on the last corner though.

What are the times on monday nights?

And Im just looking to bulid up my engine so I can have something to compete with the big boys down south. I'm plannin on runnin pro in January.

hawk-trx
09-26-2007, 08:39 AM
we just assumed that you fliped or something cause from the stands we couldnt see.
when the white flag came out i said "he is still going to win" my buddy took the bet, when you blew by 2nd place he handed me the dollars but when you bobeled going into the last corner i handed them back.
at least it was a nice turn out.

im not going to say "mondays" but this monday we can ride we didnt get there till around 5 but if you can get there eariler call mike and see what time we can start.

also i didnt add but more compression will add bottom end. do you ride in the lower rpms that much? cause i feel that any cam that improves your bottom from what you have will hurt the top to much.
a 02 crf cam might help out a little but to me not enough for the effort and the $100.

eganracing
09-26-2007, 09:18 AM
It just feels like its slackin when Im in bottom end. I really dont know what kind of cam I should be getting for mx so if theres like some cam thats supost to be ideal for mx that is what Im looking for.

hawk-trx
09-26-2007, 09:54 AM
im assumeing that yours is the 06 hrc cam, right? if so that is the same came as the dirt bike cam and what alot of shops sell as a MX cam.

it will make more power sooner then a hot cam s2 and some feel the hc2 revs slower then even the 04 hrc cam. like i said the only cam i know that makes more power earlier in the powerband is the hot cam stage 1, but to me it wouldnt be worth the top end loss.

does anyone know what cam the XC guys perfer?

hendershot106
09-26-2007, 04:18 PM
u two should really read the sticky on cam specifications and then u wont wonder back and forth--- its all in color for you if you just look at it.

trost66
09-27-2007, 08:01 PM
02 crf cam is great for bottom and mid