PDA

View Full Version : throttle cable and carb cab question

800screws
09-25-2007, 04:32 PM
how do they stay together? i have the cable adjusted all the way to get the slack out and the cable keeps popping out of the 38 pwk carb? not out of the slide, but up and out of the cap about 3mm. what's the deal? does it just get pressed down in it? i have the right cable. i just ordered it from nacs.

wilkin250r
09-25-2007, 05:13 PM
What kind of thumb throttle do you have? Sounds like you might be using a 400EX throttle.

800screws
09-25-2007, 05:29 PM
it's a jrd thumb throttle...what do u think the problem is?

wilkin250r
09-26-2007, 11:47 PM
I know it's a common problem when people use the 400EX throttle, because the OEM 250R throttle can be difficult to find.

When using the 400EX throttle, the cable mounting is slightly different, and causes too much slack in the line, you can't even adjust all of it out.

It's entirely possible the jrd thumb throttle has the same configuration, and thus the same problem.

One solution would be the Motion Pro cable, part number 01-0604. It has an extra adjustment in the middle of the cable to take out slack. That adjustment, combined with the stock adjustment at the throttle, should be enough to take all the slack out.

When I got the cable, I had to order it directly from Motion Pro. My dealership could get the standard cables, but not the custom cables.

86 Quad R
09-27-2007, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
One solution would be the Motion Pro cable, part number 01-0604. It has an extra adjustment in the middle of the cable to take out slack. When I got the cable, I had to order it directly from Motion Pro. My dealership could get the standard cables, but not the custom cables.

thats exactly the cable i run on all my R's. works well. i even ordered one directly from mo-pro recently that needed to be an additional 10" to fit the 250REX hybrid i built. no additional costs.