PDA

View Full Version : quick, are those generic quads any good?

450raider
09-25-2007, 01:11 PM
now ive had my wanted post up for a little bit now and after visiting a quad dealer used section i find that im not gonna find a simple beater quad (a midsized something and bolt a winch to it to get the sport ones unstuck) so now im thinking about getting one of those little cheap quads you get at like pep boys and some mower shops but are they worth it? a part of me says their junk (lasts 3mo. to a year) but a part of me thinks if you use common sense and maintenance and stuff they should last a little while (lasts 2-4 yrs.) so has anyone had one and know a little about them? thanks

Ghost-Rider
09-25-2007, 01:15 PM
I wouldn't touch one of them things with a 10 foot pole.

Regular_Joe
09-25-2007, 01:36 PM
My nephew got one for Christmas. I went over and got him for the day so he could ride w/ us.

Man what a piece of crap. Seriously. EVERYTHING was loose on it. There were a lot of electrical gremlins. The shocks were so stiff that they ere useless for him. Pounded the crap out of him. Battery died towards the end of the day, so we had to keep jump starting it to get it started. We spent 1/3 the day working on it. It was that bad.

I will say this little 110cc thing was bad *** when it was working and it would rip. We had to turn in the throttle screw in pretty far since he is only 6. With it all the way out, he could floor it from a stop and spin the tires on gravel for at least 20ft or more. Way too much power for a little guy.

300exOH
09-25-2007, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Ghost-Rider
I wouldn't touch one of them things with a 10 foot pole.

I agree...I bought one for my boy to ride and the thing was a complete POS.

Like regular joe said the suspension was HORRIBLE and the handling wasn't much better...

Ours never broke but then again I got rid of it less than 2 months after we bought it. If it does break you'll find that it is almost impossible to get parts for.

I would spend the extra cash and pick up a used trx90,kymco,DRR or just about any other name brand...it will save you money and headaches in the long run.

07250ex
09-25-2007, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by 300exOH
I agree...I bought one for my boy to ride and the thing was a complete POS.

Like regular joe said the suspension was HORRIBLE and the handling wasn't much better...

Ours never broke but then again I got rid of it less than 2 months after we bought it. If it does break you'll find that it is almost impossible to get parts for.

I would spend the extra cash and pick up a used trx90,kymco,DRR or just about any other name brand...it will save you money and headaches in the long run.

arent kymcos kind of in between the big 4 big 6 if u wanna count ktm and polaris and the no name chinesers

450raider
09-25-2007, 04:08 PM
so i probably wont get one of the cheap ones back to square one, and yeah i thought kymco was up and coming in the market, id preferably like to find one just to have but noone owns them around here just people who think their pos recons are worth gold.

450raider
09-25-2007, 06:54 PM
you know what..i went to bestpriceatvs.com and they had some pretty neat stuff....(check into it) they had utvs for $4700 and a 200 crotch rocket for $1700 i really may look into that......nah, but could you imagine :D

byrdman37876
09-25-2007, 10:05 PM
bought a 150 kazuma for my wife last year.

worst investment ever. steering sucked had to bend the the steel rod coming up to the left so it would cut to the left, shocks hah what shocks they suck stiff as a rock, battery went dead in about 2 weeks, auto choke is a big joke and when u put it in reverse u have to ( and the book says this ) rock it back and forth to get it in gear.

my 2 cent

steer clear of them.

300exOH
09-25-2007, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by 07250ex
arent kymcos kind of in between the big 4 big 6 if u wanna count ktm and polaris and the no name chinesers

Yeah I guess I shouldn't have lumped kymco in with the big 4/6 but they are worlds ahead of the no-name chinese quads being sold at local auto parts stores. Some of the smaller atv companies like kymco, DRR, kasea are slowly moving up in the market and building better products now. I wouldn't go as far as to say they are equal to the larger companies though but at least parts, service and support are available unlike the chinese knock-offs.

Your best bet is to do some research on here before buying any of the lower priced minis. The DRR's have become very popular and are at least attempting to make a better product. They are one of the few that are lower priced and offering better features like dual a arm suspension.