PDA

View Full Version : Seller Beware

tank69
09-25-2007, 11:52 AM
Just a friendly reminder....

I was in WV this past weekend for my buddies wedding and hear a story of fraud. One of the local guys sold both of his quads to this guy and was paid with a cashier's check. He sold the bikes on Saturday night, after the banks were closed, and on Monday he went to the bank to cash the checks. The checks were FAKES, very good fakes, but fakes none the less. Needless to say, he got screwed. It's also worth noting, he didn't get the name of the guy or the license plate number of the van he was driving, shame on him. The buyer's excuse was, "I don't want to travel 5 hours with $9k in cash on me."

So if you MUST do a deal that isn't cash related, I'd do the following as a minium.

Get the buyer's ID, copy all the info down
Get his license plate and car registration information
Do the deal at a local bank, I've met in the parking lot of many a bank to sell items for notary and fund verificaiton purposes
Get their full name prior to the deal and google them to verify address and phone number if possible.
If you can't verify the check/funds are authentic, don't do the deal until you can.
Best advice, if something doesn't feel right about the deal or you have that "too good to be true" feeling, run like hell.

Granted, many of you know this is happening, but it's a sad wake up call to many who don't when you hear of a fellow rider/racer getting taken.

Tank

bradley300
09-25-2007, 12:03 PM
good advice

djguestone
09-25-2007, 12:23 PM
I can't belive he took that check. Sure it sounds good at time of transaction but I'd never make a deal without all the buyers info! Thieves are thieves... but bad on sellers part.. Hope he get's that guy!