PDA

View Full Version : jetting experts please

ringoesroadking
09-25-2007, 10:40 AM
Here is my jetting question
After installing my 38mm airstryker carb with 172 main 50 pilot (ported, reeds, k&n, lrd pipe) the motor is too rich to hold an idle( I assume) and very slightly boggy before it hits the powerband, but then when it hits powerband it feels like it has a shot of spray, maybe not quite, but it comes on and hits like a lightswitch,crazy and tiring to hold on to. (hard enough to do wheelies in 5th without clutching it up) but in the low gears on hills sometimes it is too boggy and i need to fan the clutch constantly to keep from bogging. ( doesn't foul plugs at all, the w.o.t. plug chops give a near perfect golden tan color)
So
I switched to the 170 main and although it still doesn't idle, it feels crisper and more torquey down low, better for hills, and woods. much smoother more consistent power. not slow, But the powerband hit is gone completely! and doesn't feel as strong in the power band. feels slower top end. (plug chops still look good)

So is this normal and just a descision i have to make, or should I put the bigger main jet in and mess with the pilot jet or needle to get more snap in the lower rpm's and still have the stronger powerband and topend? Thanks

redrooster310r
09-25-2007, 03:10 PM
go to duncan racing and look for 2 stroke kehin carb tuning....it will help u out ,,, totally

Jason Hall
09-25-2007, 03:42 PM
Well first make sure your carb is clean, Float level Is rite, high float level can make the carb load up at an Idle. I recommend you put In a 42 pilot jet, raise the clip all the way up. Turn your air screw 1 1/2 turns out. Adjust the slide screw until It will idle decent. Then fine tune your Idle with the air screw. For mid range, the way I suggest you tune the needle Is to ride the bike. If you are rich on the needle, usually you will have fluttery throttle response when you first roll Into It (sounds like what you have). Lean will be real ripe & instant. I bet the top or 2nd groove down with the clip will put you about rite. This Is how I jet for the main. It has worked for me great, so I hope it works for you. You want to be rich at first on the main so you don't melt your piston (sounds like you are close with the 172). This Is just me, but I like to feel / hear the engine surge on top end, before I stop raising the main size. Then I know I'm not guessing. If It surges on top end, then drop The main size one size at a time till It runs clean top end.

machwon
09-25-2007, 05:52 PM
I use a 42 pilot, dgh needle middle notch, 178 main in the summer. 48 pilot and 185 main in the winter. Make sure your plug is gapped to .020"

trx250r180
09-25-2007, 11:12 PM
what needle are you running?lrd recomends a ddj in 4th clip,i ran 50 pilot and 170-172 main and had good easy yo ride power bottom to top of throttle,woods or mx with the team b pipe