PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Basket Locknut...

flauge
09-25-2007, 01:09 AM
So Im getting ready to do a 416 build up in the next couple of months and I want to put an HD cam chain in. Ive heard that its easy to put on on as long as you have an impact gun to take off the locknut on the clutch basket, but the thing is I dont have much access to any air tools right now. Would an electric impact wrench be enough to break the locknut loose.?? the one Im looking at has 240 ft. lbs of torque, does 1200 rpm/2700bpm and has a 7.5 amp motor. Does this sound good? Anybody else used one before?

honda400exr
09-25-2007, 07:30 AM
I just did my 416 build not too long ago and did the chain too. There's a tool that you can get to hold the clutch backet still so that you can turn the nut off but obviously not everybody has one or wants to wait for one to do the build. So here's a little trick I found that worked pretty good for me.
There's a little divit in the nut and shaft where they pound the edge of the nut in so it acts kind of like a lock. I took a small screw driver and a hammer litely tapping between the shaft and nut to flex the edge of the nut out. once that was done I put it in fifth gear and used a pair of channel lock plyers to hold the sprocket (you'll need a friend or someone for that) then I took a breaker bar and broke the nut loose. The transmission will help as leverage because of the gear reduction so the person holding the sprocket won't struggle so much. once everything is done just reverse the process to put it back together. The nut should be torqued to 80ftlbs and then remember to take a punch and tap the edge of the bolt back into the shaft. It doesn't really matter if it's at a new location or not.

Whatever you do don't use a bar to put between the pieces of the clutch basket because the pressure will snap them off. NOT GOOD!

It's not the right way to do it but it's faster and cheaper than waiting on the tool that you need to hold everything still. Hope that helps!

dariusld
09-25-2007, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by honda400exr

Whatever you do don't use a bar to put between the pieces of the clutch basket because the pressure will snap them off. NOT GOOD!

It takes very little to break those off:eek2:

Farabomb
09-25-2007, 09:56 AM
Goodyear has a recharagable impact gun that works better than one of my cheap air impacts. Lasts all day at the track changing tires and I've seen it for under $100. Check out your local autoparts store.

flauge
09-25-2007, 10:38 AM
The impact i want is a craftsman so it might be alright. So yall reused the locknuts right? I know the book says to get a new one but i dont think it'll hurt anything to reuse it.

honda400exr
09-25-2007, 10:47 AM
you can reuse it just make sure you tap the edge of the nut into the divit on the shaft. that'll keep it fom comming loose.