PDA

View Full Version : New parts, new questions

Farabomb
09-24-2007, 10:04 PM
I got my box of joy from RMATV last week. MSR clutch lever, MP clutch cable, armadillo swinger plate, EBC sintered brakes, plug, oil, filter, and some little stuff I'm forgeting. Everything went on without too much hassle but there are some issues.

First off, for some reason the EBC's seem too thick for me to load the caliper and get it around the rear disc. Used a c-clamp to push the piston back, seems like it's as far back as it can go. I'm kinda thinking it's the PB blockoff causing issue but I'm mot sure if the bar that comes out moves. Not the end of the world, the old pads have enough meat on them so I used one new and one old pad. My idea is to change the old one after a few hours and the new one in the caliper wears down a little.

Second, I was having issue starting the bike before I started working on it. After I took of the front plastic and gas tank I noticed the wire came off the coil. I have no idea when that happened but a little saftey wire should stop that from happening again. The plug that came out was black and dry. If I'm reading it right she's a little rich so I felt safe drilling 6 holes in my airbox lid for the uni 1" filters. My shop is in an industral area so I can only take a few quick runs up and down the street before the local officers come and get pissed. After a few wot runs I pulled it in and let it cool and checked the plug. Little dark around the threads and nice light grey on top. Seems I'm in the ballpark but I don't know if I ran it long enough to get a good reading. I don't know what jets are in it (bought it used). Should I go pick up some in case I'm not jetted correctly? I'll be at my place in NY for a long weekend in Oct and I'd rather not have to end early like last time when my clutch cable broke.

Third, when I was installing the clutch cable I took off the shield on the headpipe and noticed I have a slight leak around the mounting pads for the shield. I don't think it's the end of the world and pushes me to pick up a exhuast. Am I wrong? Should I be picking up a full lsystem soon?

Foruth and final. Should I check the valves and adjust if needed before I go? I will have the winter to check that but with a racecar I have to get up to spec and my toy car to fix I may not have time. How often should I be checking it if it is that important.

JOEX
09-24-2007, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Farabomb

First off, for some reason the EBC's seem too thick for me to load the caliper and get it around the rear disc. Used a c-clamp to push the piston back, seems like it's as far back as it can go. I'm kinda thinking it's the PB blockoff causing issue but I'm mot sure if the bar that comes out moves. Not the end of the world, the old pads have enough meat on them so I used one new and one old pad. My idea is to change the old one after a few hours and the new one in the caliper wears down a little.
You can remove the PB block off and see if the caliper with the new pads will fit. If it does just shave a little material off the piston shaft (yes, it moves with the piston) and reinstall the block off.

Second, I was having issue starting the bike before I started working on it. After I took of the front plastic and gas tank I noticed the wire came off the coil. I have no idea when that happened but a little saftey wire should stop that from happening again. The plug that came out was black and dry. If I'm reading it right she's a little rich so I felt safe drilling 6 holes in my airbox lid for the uni 1" filters. My shop is in an industral area so I can only take a few quick runs up and down the street before the local officers come and get pissed. After a few wot runs I pulled it in and let it cool and checked the plug. Little dark around the threads and nice light grey on top. Seems I'm in the ballpark but I don't know if I ran it long enough to get a good reading. I don't know what jets are in it (bought it used). Should I go pick up some in case I'm not jetted correctly? I'll be at my place in NY for a long weekend in Oct and I'd rather not have to end early like last time when my clutch cable broke.
It may be a good idea to check the current jetting before you leave so you'll at least have a starting point if changes are needed.

Third, when I was installing the clutch cable I took off the shield on the headpipe and noticed I have a slight leak around the mounting pads for the shield. I don't think it's the end of the world and pushes me to pick up a exhuast. Am I wrong? Should I be picking up a full lsystem soon?

If you have access to a someone who can weld stainless steel might wanna get that patched. Could just take a small bead to fill the hole.

Foruth and final. Should I check the valves and adjust if needed before I go? I will have the winter to check that but with a racecar I have to get up to spec and my toy car to fix I may not have time. How often should I be checking it if it is that important.
If you can make the time it would be a good idea to atleast check them. If they are making noise definately check and adjust.