PDA

View Full Version : '04 YFZ with Venom Race Engine Kickstart Kit, Starting Problems

Butter
09-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Hello. I'm very new to Yamaha bikes in general (3 days). My bro has been riding for 20 years (he's 32) but his bike has always been a Honda. I just started riding and racing this year. I started on a 426EX that was MXed out, but just could not stay with 450s. Just way too down on power. It was a great realiable bike, but like I said, I was killing myself to try and stay with the 450 bikes, and people who were horrible riders could beat me easily on a track with lets say 4 straights. Pretty lame. Anyway I traded a kool *** dude on this site (YFZ3x). The trade went awesome. I got the bike saturday, checked it over, made sure it would be ok to ride sunday. It has some problems, but nothing too major that I couldn't ride it. Went out and rode in the local pits around here. Feels frigin awesome. Loving the suspension geometry, engine is extremely fast. I was told it was a NEATV Pro rider's bike, put back to stock suspension. But the guy was sponsored by Venom racing engines, and was recently rebuilt (13:1 compression piston, Hot Cams on both EX. and IN., WR Crank, ect.). The engine runs perfect. Strong from the bottom to top.

It has the GTYR Kick Start kit on it, along with the GTYR race wiring harness. This does away with the lights, radiator fan, and electric starting permanently. Well my only complaint and concern about this bike currently is the starting. First off its very awkward to kick (backwards right into the fenders, and the kicker is at an awkward angle). I can live with this though, if the damn bike would start with a few kicks. It seems when its cold, it starts pretty damn easy, most of the time. But even cold sometimes, it just does not like me, and wont start no matter what we do. When hot, forget it. Almost impossible. Is there any procedure that makes this easier? Is there anything to check on the bike that could be causing this? Its like the bike has a mind, and when it feels like it, it starts, and it will be out of nowhere. Not consistant at all. The bike does me no good if it does not start when I need it. We've been racing and fixing bikes since my bro has been riding, but I know with each manufacturer, somethings are different. Can anyone shed some light to help us out? We don't have a manuel for it. The guy didn't have one, so we're slightly lost. Please, if anyone can help, I appreciate it. Thanks.

racer113
09-30-2007, 11:59 AM
is there a hot start lever on the clutch lever (decompression lever)

with a kicker you pretty much need it when it's hot or just have a kicker
but the yfz is tricky usually you can't just hold the lever start your kick with it held and release it halfway through the kick, also trim your right rear fender way back so you don't hit it