PDA

View Full Version : newbie to the board got some ?'s

dpiza
09-24-2007, 07:29 AM
IM new to the fourstroke thing and need some help. I just bought a 2003 400 ex and love it. It has a supertrapp pipe,vented air box and is jetted. not sure what size jet but it runs great. I want to do a little performance stuff to it but still want it to be reliable.ie:cams piston cdi im not really sure. i live in central florida and do a lot of trail and sand riding. Im lookin for advice on performance tips/parts and what tires would be good. any help would be great. thanks

dpiza
09-24-2007, 07:31 AM
if a different exaust would be extremly beneficial i would change my exaust as well. i dont know which is best

flauge
09-24-2007, 09:13 AM
Supertrapp is ok for an exhaust i guess, but from what Ive heard the best exhaust for the money is HMF sport series s/o.
For motor stuff, a hotcam stg 1 and a 450r carb did me pretty good, but after a while you'll get used to it and want to go a lil faster. Id say do a 416 build with a 10.8 JE piston with a hotcam stg 2 & 450r carb. Oh and dont forget the headstuds and crf450r cam chain.;) Those are the 2 best reliability mods you can do.

dpiza
09-24-2007, 06:53 PM
come on nobody has tips or advice?

09-24-2007, 07:33 PM
hey man ever go out to Croom? anyways for the sand here in florida razrs will let your performance actually get to the ground and not constantly spinning. It doesnt feel like your spinning a lot but after you ride something with razr rears you feel the acceleration difference. Exhaust wise get an HMF slip on. Maybe take off the airbox lid and put an outerwears airbox cover on it. Stage 1 cam.

dpiza
09-26-2007, 07:12 PM
i went to croom last sat and ill be riding at my property in crystal river this weekend, might pop into croom on the way home on sunday. id like to get a big group together and go up there. i took about a 4 year break from ridin dirt but im glad to be back. thanks for the info looks like i can start ordering parts.

dpiza
09-26-2007, 07:13 PM
does anyone know what the jet and needle setting need to be if i have a slip on exaust the outerwears intake lid and a stage 1 cam