PDA

View Full Version : Putting on handelbar grips...?

Jeff
11-01-2002, 03:09 PM
Ok, I bought some new Renthal medium compound grips and I got some of that YamaBond grip glue and I seem to be having a problem with getting the glue through and through the grip so it will be all inside and not just at one end. When I put the glue on the handelbar and slide it on, since the grips tight on the bar, it just pushes the glue down the bar instead of going inside. Well, I got them on but towards the end of the bar it wants to twist on the bar instead of staying in one place. The glue says it takes 7-8 hours to fully dry. I dont know if thats it or I didnt get any glue on that particular spot where it wants to twist. Can somebody help me with this?? Thanks!

This may be a stupid question, but just bear w/ me...

Also, if I need to take the grips off after the glue has already dried, is their any way I can get them off w/o cutting them off?

skinrider440
11-01-2002, 03:44 PM
if you will take a small ice pick and poke a hole in the end of the grip it will go on easier. and wont blow out. and pour the glue into the grip and sqeeze it together. that should get it all over

exriderdude
11-01-2002, 03:45 PM
mine twist towards the outside of the bar but i dont really bother me.

when you take them off, if you have an air compressor, poke it through one of the grips and blow air into your bar. your grip should come right off. then do it one the other side and put your hand over the hole you poked in your grip and it should blow off.

DGR Designs
11-01-2002, 04:43 PM
dude next time just coat the inside of the grip with rubbing alchol and push it on and let it dry sticks well too after it dries.

Mxbubs
11-01-2002, 04:52 PM
Take electrical tape, start at the inner part of the bar, turn it inside out, and wrap it out to the end of the bar, and right at the end, twist it right and give a few wraps to tape the end down good. Push, shove, kick, and fight the grip on, it will not move after that until you do the same force to get it off.

Pappy
11-01-2002, 04:58 PM
i just spent $70 on a wire twister.....i had a grip come loose at hatfield and rode like that for 6 hours.:mad: so now i will use glue and wire.....

danney f
11-01-2002, 05:47 PM
I just bought some progrips a month ago, they were pretty soft rubber so I just rolled the grip almost inside out, stuck it up to the bar and unrolled it on the bar. I use spray paint preferably clear coat, just spray it in the grip and on the bar, slide the grip on and let it dry. The paint lubricates, then when it dries its like glue. I have never had a grip come off since I started doing this.

DGR Designs
11-01-2002, 05:56 PM
oh yea! great trick for gettin those suckers off, push a flathead screwdriver under the grip between the bar and the grip itself, then take a can of WD-40 WITH that little red stram on the end and push that in beside the screwdriver and spray a healthy amount in there then move the screwdriver around the bar while keeping it stuck under its easy once the WD gets all over the inside. pull the screwdriver out and then just pull on the grip. it should slip right off and then you can use them over again! i have been doing this for years on mountain bikes and i recently tried it on my EX so yes, it does work! good luck! ~Dave

tprender
11-01-2002, 06:17 PM
I have tried paint, glue, tape,weather stripping glue,hair spray, etc but when I get done I will wire tie them. I have had all of them come undone sometime during a race and tha is no fun like he said. With the wire also on the grips I have never had one come loose and the end of the grip even stays put.
The WD-40 works great, but make sure that you clean the bar to get the oil off before you put on the new grip.

Jeff
11-01-2002, 07:32 PM
Thanks guys! I just went out and checked it and the glue must have settled in place, it dont move around now. I bought some JB Weld cuz my friend told me to use that instead of the grip glue. He also said to get some wire ties and tie it down. I'll see how the grip glue works and if it starts moving around i'll wire tie it down.

11-01-2002, 07:53 PM
Dude, member whenn u take em off you might as well put wd40 in the grip by lifting it up a hair.

Godspeed
11-01-2002, 08:19 PM
We use JB Weld since it talks time to set up. I have never had a grip move the slightest. Just cut them off if you need to.

2qk4u
11-01-2002, 10:07 PM
quit wasting your money on all that grip glue. just use spray paint. just spray someon the inside of the grip you want toput on and slide it on. let it dry and it doesnt take forever. everyone has a can of spraypaint laying around. then your good to go.

tants
11-01-2002, 10:13 PM
gas, spraypaint, alcohol, hair spray all works fine

11-01-2002, 10:17 PM
Scott grip glue friggin burns a hole into the grip lol, so dont use scott on renthal grips or ne thing just scott. He alkready spent the money on glue so o well no turning back now.

Mxbubs
11-02-2002, 06:14 PM
Get a tig or mig welder. That should do the trick.:D