PDA

View Full Version : Banshee help - Starting to pull hair out!

number52
09-24-2007, 04:48 AM
Ok, I have a Banshee that someone else has had there hands on and I don't know what has been done to it that is causing the problems listed below.

First problem was that the bike wouldn't rev above 1000 RPM's, Installed a TORS eliminator kit on it and it still bogged. So I started messing with jetting. Pulled carbs apart and everything looks great. The bike runs like crap until you pull the air box lid off then it bogs up to 1/2 throttle, then takes off. Mods listed below

Procircuit pipes and silencer, airbox lid on, 500 feet above sea level, boyseen carbon fiber reeds and cage.

Jetting was set at 250 mains when I got it. Plugs where wet and ran better when air box lid was off. So I put 220 mains in, still cut out everywhere with lid on, took lid off and it was better, but still cut out up to 1/2 throttle.

A lot of people on another site told me I should have around 280 mains with these mods. So I put 280's in and now it really runs like crap. Even with airbox lid off runs way worse. Someone asked if I had choke tube, and I did not, so I put one on and it didn't make any difference, probably because it was sucking in some air leaning it out which may have made it run just a little better.

Purchased a Dyno Jet kit for it, installed new needles and noticed the ones I took out of it where different lengths. WTF, thought this was the problem, but to wasn't, didn't help a bit.

I have cut out on carb slides to the back and all TORS system unplugged. Running new fuel and oil mixture on VP110. And brand new spark plugs. Please HELP anyone. Thanks

the Z Man
09-24-2007, 06:55 AM
Check your pilots, are you hitting on both cylinders, compression good, new plugs.. just some thoughts..

machwon
09-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Is the crossover tube for the choke on the carbs?

Obstructions in the exhaust?

Plug gapped?

number52
09-25-2007, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by the Z Man
Check your pilots, are you hitting on both cylinders, compression good, new plugs.. just some thoughts..

The pilots are too small to read the numbers, but the holes in them are huge compared to the Honda stuff. Both cylinders have smoke coming out of them and the bike runs just fine when you get it on top with the 220 mains in and air box lid off. Haven't checked compression, have new plugs in it.

Plug gap is good, carb choke tube is on.

machwon
09-25-2007, 05:49 PM
Ok, I would recheck the pilots. They are supposed to have a small hole down the middle (not just on the ends). I usually have to take one strand of copper wire from a wire with the end coating stripped off. Take the strand of wire and run it length wise through the pilot jet. The pilots should have a very small 25 on them. You will need 280 mains and the longer needles on the middle notch.

number52
09-26-2007, 04:17 AM
the pilot hole is about 1/16". Looks huge to me. Both of them are this way.

the Z Man
09-26-2007, 05:37 AM
Get a magnifying glass adn check your pilot size, try going smaller on the pilot, then you can put the correct size main in.

'02 Banshee
09-26-2007, 09:41 AM
go either 20-25 on pilots....most run 25...around 270 main....2-21/5 turns out on the air screw.....get rid of the airbox unless u are riding in mud they are junk get pods....either cut the bracket off ur old airbox for the coolant bottle or delete it all together...all of the coolent on there is put on the ground anyways...see if that works...i would run b9es plugs they are a little cooler burning

'02 Banshee
go either 20-25 on pilots....most run 25...around 270 main....2-21/5 turns out on the air screw.....get rid of the airbox unless u are riding in mud they are junk get pods....either cut the bracket off ur old airbox for the coolant bottle or delete it all together...all of the coolent on there is put on the ground anyways...see if that works...i would run b9es plugs they are a little cooler burning

'02 Banshee

firefighterjosh
09-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Check you Ebarke switch;) I ahve done that one before. There should be a little button type thing on the cable. Push that button in and see what hapends

bansheerider98
10-11-2007, 02:23 PM
Take off your carbs and your reed cage and lookat your pistons with a flashlight, check for black streaks or breaks in the piston. if you see streaks youve fried your piston.

Check your reeds to make sure they open and close correctly, they could be getting stuck.

Also check to see if your piston has alot of up/down play while your there, just hold your crankshaft from moving and pull the piston up and down with your fingers or a screwdriver very carefully not to damage anything

A little left to right play is ok but if there is a noticeable amount of up/down play that could be preatty bad.

number52
10-12-2007, 05:29 AM
finally figured this one out. some idiot had been messing with this bike and had NO clue what they were doing. No choke tube, 2 different length needles in the slides (about 1/4" difference) and the pilot jets had about 1/16" hole in them, which is about 5 times too large (this was the main problem that caused extreme 1/4 - 1/2 throttle opening cutting out) I still don't know where they purchased these jets, maybe he had found an alcohol kit somewhere and put them in. Bigger isn't always better! Thanks anyways everyone.

the Z Man
10-12-2007, 11:17 PM
aaahhhhaaaaahhhh! I was right!!