PDA

View Full Version : need help adjusting works shocks

oldyeller
09-23-2007, 08:14 PM
I just bought some +2 A arms for our eton viper...After installing them the shocks seem much too soft and the tires lean in pretty bad on the top edges..The shocks are works units and the springs are in the softest position..My question is where should I start with the preload on the springs?..The shock body has grooves in the sides in which a ring sits and holds the spring from coming off of the shock..The lower the ring the more the spring is compressed on the shock body and the stiffer it should be...I don't have a way to compress the spring and may have to take it to a shop so I am hoping to only have to do this once..I was thinking about 1/2 way down the body?..My son wieghs about 65lbs and doesn't do much jumping..We are primarily interested in widening out the bike for improved cornering.

burkebrothers
09-24-2007, 05:52 AM
you can adjust them by hand, with the shock off the bike either with your hands or 2 big screwdrivers or something that will grab the edge of the ring put it on a hard surface & compress it down while someone else with a small screw driver moves the clip down not easy but better than going back and forth to a shop. I'm not sure how bad the tires are leaning in but stiffining the shocks probally won't fix it, sounds to me like the shocks are too short for the arms by the way I have a compressor for those type shocks if you pay shipping I'll send it out for you to use as long as you send it back it's not that heavy so I wouldn't think it would cost more than $5 or so depending on your location

Marty Burke

WOLFPACK
09-24-2007, 07:33 AM
Once you get the weight off the shock you should be able to move the clip without a compressing tool. Generally you want the front of your quad to sit 1/2" higher that the rear.

markvette
09-24-2007, 08:23 AM
we have ran works shocks for years. to adjust ride height you need to first know what your front end travel is. say its 6 inches without rider. measure the quad sitting with no rider say at the top of the bumper. now have the rider sit on the quad and measure again. you should have a 25% difference in the ride height. if it is more you need to stiffen the springs. i sit the quad up in the front so the wheels are off the ground. i use a large pair of vise grips and a pair of channel locks to compress the spring. i put a rag over the spring then lock the vise grips down on 2 coils then use the channel locks to compress the opposite side of the spring. this will usually lower the spring enough to move the clip down with a small screw driver.

Mark

oldyeller
09-24-2007, 10:25 AM
Thanks Mark I will give that a try..I did try taking it apart in a vice but I could just barely get it apart by hand on the lowest setting so I figured I would never get it together again on a stiffer setting.....Marty thank you for the very generous offer of your compressor...Hopefully I can get it done without it but if not I'll let you know...Thanks again..Willy

oldyeller
09-27-2007, 07:26 PM
Ok I stuck the shock in a vise and squeezed a couple of coils of the springs with vise grips..It made enough difference that I could drop the springs down about 4 notches on the shock body by hand..So far it looks much better but we'll have to test ride it to be sure.