PDA

View Full Version : Best Dune Exhaust Pipe?

ERBE
09-23-2007, 08:10 PM
Like to here your thoughts on a cleaned lightly ported motor, who makes the best Midrage dunning pipe?

atvmxr
09-24-2007, 07:31 AM
probably LRD, Sparks MX, or Duncan MX. I am happy with my LRD in the dunes. why dont you ask RK to make us some pipes? :devil:

morse250r
09-24-2007, 07:43 AM
esr trx 5 center mount or reg great power fun pipe have a center munt if interested went to an trx 11 still hva e a 5 on the second bike

ERBE
09-24-2007, 07:51 AM
Q Bert wont have anything to do with a TRX, trust me I tried!
so far im hearing LRD, and Sparks, Paul Turner any good?
JR has a FMF fatty now

250r4life
09-24-2007, 10:08 AM
i really like my Paul Turner mid range...

i personally dont like the LRD for how hard it is the seal up the expansion chamber...

speedfreek
09-24-2007, 10:42 AM
Wouldn't a dune pipe be for top end? That's all I do at the dunes, hillclimb and drag race. My ESR TRX 11 works great.

chris46250r
09-24-2007, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by speedfreek
Wouldn't a dune pipe be for top end? That's all I do at the dunes, hillclimb and drag race. My ESR TRX 11 works great.

For what you have in your sig, yes. But on what ERBE is describing its sounds pretty close to stock so you might want to stick to low and mid pipes.

250r4life
09-24-2007, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by speedfreek

well, not if you actually "dune" with it...

Scott-300ex
09-24-2007, 02:17 PM
I'm with you speedfreak, I was gonna say you should want a pipe for top end for dunes, and sand in general. Mid to top. Cuz sand will bog you and you want to keep it in the powerband, and to roost all your friends. Haha :devil:

250r4life
09-24-2007, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
I'm with you speedfreak, I was gonna say you should want a pipe for top end for dunes, and sand in general. Mid to top. Cuz sand will bog you and you want to keep it in the powerband, and to roost all your friends. Haha :devil:

youre right- sand will bog you... and for that very reason if you are going to dune (more than just drag race) you want a solid mid range on your bike... it gets real tiring and real old to always have to clutch it to keep it in the powerband with a strickly high revving 2 stroke...

what good is a super strong top end if its hard to get to it? just like the misconception that a PV is useless in the dunes... I love the PV in the dunes!

chris46250r
09-24-2007, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
youre right- sand will bog you... and for that very reason if you are going to dune (more than just drag race) you want a solid mid range on your bike... it gets real tiring and real old to always have to clutch it to keep it in the powerband with a strickly high revving 2 stroke...

what good is a super strong top end if its hard to get to it? just like the misconception that a PV is useless in the dunes... I love the PV in the dunes!

Not only did you nail that one, you welded it shut!

250r4life
09-24-2007, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by chris46250r
Not only did you nail that one, you welded it shut!

ha ha ha :D

speedfreek
09-24-2007, 03:21 PM
If your bogging your engine your gearing is probably wrong.

atvmxr
09-24-2007, 04:07 PM
I know how and where I like to dune ride and I dont want to have to be holding it WFO just because I switched from 18" MX tires to some 20" paddles. My LRD MX National setup was lots of fun in the dunes, especially when going on trail rides at night... felt like I could climb anything. :cool:

Random question, does glamis have any trails and smaller dunes or is it just open desert?

250r4life
09-24-2007, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by atvmxr

Random question, does glamis have any trails and smaller dunes or is it just open desert?

you should probably go to google video and look up some videos...

are there trails? well, trails with like rocks and trees on each side? no, but there are trails where other people have ridden... i think the dunes is the best trail riding out there!

glamis is a big ol sand box- flat areas to drag, hills to climb, and lots of big bowls...

atvmxr
09-24-2007, 06:35 PM
oh, all the dunes around here, (Kermit, Lake Altus, Little Sahara, Forest Hills) have some wooden area and trails as well as wide open desert. So you find plenty of opportunities to come around a corner and see a 10-20 foot dune right in front of you. Its sweet to be able to nail the throttle and just climb right up :cool:

GPracer2500
09-24-2007, 06:42 PM
I rode (in the dunes) a stock ported 250r that had a top end pipe on it. I think it was a PT [shrug]. That combo kinda sucked. You had to ring it's neck to keep from bogging out. And when it fell out of the power there was little to no warning. If you weren't on top of your game and grabbed a lower gear RIGHT NOW, you'd stall. It could fool you into thinking the gearing was just way too high. But it wasn't a gearing issue. It was a pipe/porting match-up issue, I think.

We changed it out to some FMF pipe (or was it a DG?--whatever it was it wasn't pretty which is why it wasn't on there in the first place) and it was a totally different ride. The power was broader and TONS easier and more fun to ride. The hit on top wasn't quite as dramatic but it still hit.

I don't think the first pipe was junk, per say. I just think the pipe sucked with the stock porting. I run a PT High-Rev on my ATC and it's got decently broad power. But it's been ported and it's running lots of compression.

I don't have a specific pipe suggestion, but I'd look for something that's going to match-up well to whatever porting you've got (stock, whatever). And I totally agree with the others that just because your running dunes doesn't mean you can forget about midrange power. Even low end is pretty handy to have too.

fiveOnick
09-24-2007, 09:52 PM
TRX 5 or Sparks TT