PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Ported and Polished their quad?

Magicfan25
10-29-2001, 08:55 AM
I'm pretty into cars and a good port and polish on the intake/exhaust sides is just about always recomended but I never hear it mentioned with quads. Is there so little material its dangerous, or maybe the gains just arent worth the cost? i kow a guy whos friend has a high performance shop and they port and polish jetski heads and he said he thought they could do my quad too. My quads in NC and this shop is in FL (not far from where I live in NC) so I cant just run it over there and have them look. So does anyone have any opinion on this? If I don't get a negative response I plan to see how much it will cost then trailer my quad down here after thanksgiving and see what they think. It seems to me a good port/polish job with a new filter and exhaust setup should move some serious air and be good for lots of ponies.

beerock
10-29-2001, 09:58 AM
you can port and polish quads. I would definately have someone port and polish your engine that KNOW what they are doing and WHERE THEY SHOULD PORT.
Your friend may know how to port and polish stuff, but if you port and polish the cylinder and head of any engine, and dont know where to port it you could ruin your cylinder and head.

the point behind this: bring your engine to someone who knows where to port and polish that particular engine.

other wise its like trying to hit a bullseye with your eyes closed.

Magicfan25
10-29-2001, 11:20 AM
Thanks..This guy would NOT be the one proting and polishing.. I would be taking it to the professional High Performance shop his friend owns...They do everything from custom race cars to jet skis. This would not be a ,"hmm i think i'll do a little here...there looks good...lets try this" type of job. If they dont already have the specs on the head I'm sure they'll do what they need to make an informed decision about what they're doing. And being that I know the guy he wont screw me over..if they fugg somethin else they'll make it right. On ATV time I was told I'd need a better exhaust (i plan on it anyway) to move all the extra air out and that I would likely need a new carb to supply enough fuel. What do you guys think?

400exRacerX
10-29-2001, 11:30 AM
I got my swingarm port and polished, it adds aero dynamics.......lol

10-29-2001, 12:24 PM
Well from what I've been told a port/polish will not do anything on a 400ex UNLESS you put a new/larger carb,,,run with the airbox lid off,,aftermarket air filter, and have a higher flowing after market exhaust. TC racing put it to me this way......if your intake ports on the head let's in 100 gallons of air a minute,,,,,,,and your stock carb lets in 75 gallons of air per minute,,,,,and your stock airbox lets in 50 gallons of air a minute your not getting anywere,,,,follow me. Your airbox is only letting in 50% of the air that your ports can handle. So your waisting all that extra area of the ports for nothing. Maybe get a clean up polish for like $50 but not a $220 port/polish,,,unless your going with a full blown race 400ex. I've got a 416 and XRcam and wont' be getting a port/polish job,,,you won't feel the difference of a port and polish unless the rest of your motor is built for it,,,Tom Carlson of TC racing said the head porting on a stock 400ex is actually pretty good,,,My suggestion,,,call a respectable engine builder like I did before you blow a bunch of money on half a HP.

Tommy 17
10-29-2001, 01:01 PM
well rico heres what i am gettin its 220$ worth of porting and polishing i am running a stock pipe and a stock carb wit just mods to them. the bores goin to be 406ex je 10.8:1. i rode a quad wit the exact thing that i am getting done and let me tell u its fast enouf for me. its was even geared wit a 16t and i am stickin wit a 15t. i will never change my carb probably and my pipe in 6 months or so when i save up some more.

10-29-2001, 01:44 PM
Why not get everything done except the port/polish and see how it does,,that's a lot of cash dude,,for someone just cleaning some metal up. I'll take TC racings word for it,,,he's the Doctor on thumper motors so I'll trust his judgment and experience. For what your doin you'll gain nothing from a port and polish,,but if you want to spend the money it's your decision. But wouldn't it be cool if you got the same thing done as the bike you rode except the port and polish,,,then raced the guy and you two were tied everytime you finished,,,and you could look at the guy and ask ""Why in the heck did you pay $220 for something that doesn't give you an advatage over me". Just tryin to save you some money...I garuantee if you spent the money on an aftermarket pipe setup,,,,,you'll get more power than the port and polish..just my opinion,,,which we all are entitled too.

Tommy 17
10-29-2001, 02:15 PM
rico i didn't mean to start nuthing but i was just saying i am gettin it done to my 400ex wit a stock mod carb and stock mod pipe. i would love to race that 400 but its sold already he went and bought a cr450f. i would love to ride a mod 450f the stock ones so hard to hang onto i can't emagine like a cr500f or sumtin.

Magicfan25
10-29-2001, 02:49 PM
First off its a 300EX, not a 400...I understand what you're sayin about the box/carb etc..I plan to drill the air box lid, twin air filter, header/pipe combo. I read on another board about needin a new carb too....all but the carb I'll be getting for Christmas....Like I said I'll see how much they want to port/polish it and how much for a good carb...and go from there..I'm just kickin this idea around right now.

beerock
10-29-2001, 03:41 PM
In my opinion,which smart people value!(I know alot of people that "think" they know what they are talkin about)-I mean no offense to anyone on this, I do know people like that though.

definately get the air filter and FULL EXHAUST
before thinking about getting a port polish job you should throw that money into buying a cam and a cdi unit that gives you more spark and a higher rev limit. for your 300ex. besides the power delivery is smooth on the stock porting.Plus the cam will make the single biggest boost in power.

I am telling you this because, my friend has a 400ex and we decided that the next hop up should be an edelbrock quick silver carb for his 400ex.
after reading this forum I took into the consideration that a higher rev limit and cam change would do more than just a carb change. AND THEN when the time comes to throw a carb on it,. It will do that much more to the boost in power.On top of the fact that a carb upgrade for a 400ex($409) verses ($220) for a cam and cdi unit. MAKES IT MORE WORTH WHILE.

some times there is just a better way to get the most out of your atv, and making a wise decision(or judgement call)Can sometimes put you in front of someone elses quad.

Though sometimes you have to JUMP at some chances you get. Like buying a 400ex carb for your 300ex for dirt cheap!!!
theres a couple for sale on this forum right now
my friend has a carb for sale check out the link : http://forums.exriders.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2994 theres like three other guys sellin carbs on the forum, but id figure id help my friend out. it sounds like ,after what ive been reading, you can pick up a 400ex carb for your 300 for around 100 with shipping. :) take a gander.

I hope I helped you out. (go with the cdi and cam)

Dont waste youre money on the porting and polishing please! No need to ruin a smooth power band, :)

10-29-2001, 11:48 PM
play porting was never intended to flow more but to flow with less reststance...there is less turbulance when the ports are pollished which allows the fuel and air to flow smooth..altough to polish the ports to smooth doesn't create enough turbulace for the air and fuel to mix ....you can get templates the discribe where to port and polish..i don't recomend you and your friends go get out the dremel and mess stuff up but i think it can be handles by most mechanics

10-30-2001, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by 400ex21
rico i didn't mean to start nuthing but i was just saying i am gettin it done to my 400ex wit a stock mod carb and stock mod pipe. i would love to race that 400 but its sold already he went and bought a cr450f. i would love to ride a mod 450f the stock ones so hard to hang onto i can't emagine like a cr500f or sumtin.

Hey man,,,nothing started by any means I just wanna see you spend your money on something worth it,, that's all..beerock is almost saying the same thing I did,,,there's other mods you can get with that money that will give you more power..