PDA

View Full Version : Metal shavings...

MX MaNiAc 06
09-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Well yesterday i was ripping across my field and my quad just shut off at the top of 4th gear. Completely cut out and slid to a stop. I looked at everything and went to start it again after it cooled down. It turned over real slow like the battery was dead. I gave it about 5 seconds then it turned over normal and started right up. I rode it back to my house real slow. Everything seemed fine riding it?

I drained the oil and my oil filter is covered in GOLD flakes. Could it be my crank?

AtvMxRider
09-23-2007, 01:44 PM
sounds like a crank to me

MX MaNiAc 06
09-23-2007, 01:55 PM
Do u have an estimate of how much money this is gonna be to fix? Im gonna try to get the dealer to cover it under warranty but i doubt it.

GPracer2500
09-23-2007, 02:31 PM
Definitely crank.

250xridamatt
09-23-2007, 03:53 PM
My Crank is being replaced right now. It cost me $350 to have the cases split, and everything gone through. Then $450 in parts for the crank, bearings, seals, gaskets, and two valves I needed.

MX MaNiAc 06
09-23-2007, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by 250xridamatt
My Crank is being replaced right now. It cost me $350 to have the cases split, and everything gone through. Then $450 in parts for the crank, bearings, seals, gaskets, and two valves I needed.

Owww! I talked to a local dude thats gonna do the work for me. Hopefully it will be cheaper than that!

Why was it slow starting? Thats what i dont understand

GPracer2500
09-23-2007, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by MX MaNiAc 06
Owww! I talked to a local dude thats gonna do the work for me. Hopefully it will be cheaper than that!

Why was it slow starting? Thats what i dont understand

Because it was half way seized I would guess. By continuing to turn the engine over you probably freed up whichever parts where dragging.

Here's an example of an oil filter (not a 450r though) that got so clogged with debris it collapsed the filter. The thrust washers in/on the crank are where all the bronze shavings came from. If you have similar colored shavings, I can't think of what else it could be other than the crank. AFAIK, there's no other bearing surfaces that use bronze.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d133/gpracer2500/death2.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d133/gpracer2500/death7.jpg

MX MaNiAc 06
09-23-2007, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Because it was half way seized I would guess. By continuing to turn the engine over you probably freed up whichever parts where dragging.

Here's an example of an oil filter (not a 450r though) that got so clogged with debris it collapsed the filter. The thrust washers in/on the crank are where all the bronze shavings came from. If you have similar colored shavings, I can't think of what else it could be other than the crank. AFAIK, there's no other bearing surfaces that use bronze.

Yeah.. thats exactly how my oil filter looks. Is this common? Is this just from riding hard? Could my high compression piston have anythign to do with this?

250xridamatt
09-24-2007, 05:15 AM
Mine never looked that bad. I guess I caught it before the bearings were completely seized. It made the crank shift, and start to wear down rubbing against case. Thankfully my case is still fine.

Pappy
09-24-2007, 05:31 AM
I see my diagnosis was correct, that will be tree fitty pleeze:p Good luck with the rebuild:(

Turboderf
09-24-2007, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by MX MaNiAc 06
Do u have an estimate of how much money this is gonna be to fix? Im gonna try to get the dealer to cover it under warranty but i doubt it.
Good luck mine was very nosey they took it apart and declind my crank with warranty after calling the factory in CA and fighting with a lady on the phone she said it was from lack of oil changes but the book says oil change is every 100 hours or 12 months I change the about every 3-4 rides she said you must RACE ( 06 450er ) from yhe pics i do have a numbers nerf , tires , bumpers R means RACE but i dont race at all the bike was only 19 months old and iam just getting it back together iam at about 800 in parts i did all the work myself so GOOD LUCK

450rdr424
09-24-2007, 07:54 AM
since bronze means crank what do silver flakes in the filter mean, the oil looks good with a little silver flake in it, not as silver as the clutch oil normaly is. i change the oil every week which at most 3 hours

MX MaNiAc 06
09-24-2007, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
I see my diagnosis was correct, that will be tree fitty pleeze:p Good luck with the rebuild:(

Haha, yes. Im pissed i was hoping for u to shoot me at bpg octoberfest. Im hoping to go watch. Maybe someone will let me pound a few laps on their quad.

MX MaNiAc 06
09-24-2007, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Turboderf
Good luck mine was very nosey they took it apart and declind my crank with warranty after calling the factory in CA and fighting with a lady on the phone she said it was from lack of oil changes but the book says oil change is every 100 hours or 12 months I change the about every 3-4 rides she said you must RACE ( 06 450er ) from yhe pics i do have a numbers nerf , tires , bumpers R means RACE but i dont race at all the bike was only 19 months old and iam just getting it back together iam at about 800 in parts i did all the work myself so GOOD LUCK

I still have an extended warranty at Andrews. They told me it seemed like i change the oil often so they cant dick me with that bs. They have been pretty good to me.. already replaced all the valves after i let someone work on it n bent them! Should have been over $1000 but it was free. Worth a shot i guess?

MX MaNiAc 06
09-26-2007, 07:32 PM
Well the dealer said they would cover it. UNLESS they found dirt in my cylinder. Also if i changed my oil often. I have 7 receipts for gallons of oil and oil filters. Think they can get me for anything?