PDA

View Full Version : New Apex GNCC racer

yfz450xc
09-23-2007, 08:40 AM
We are getting ready to purchase a 70 Apex for next seasons GNCC and this years Ironman for our son. He has been racing suzuki's and Eton's since he was 4 ( Now 8 ) mostly local XC races and some Mx and a flat track or 2.

We have been watching the Gncc scores for awhile now and I am overly impressed with the quality of riders and Atv's.
Question, How well do the Apex's really do in XC racing and what are some of the most important mods besides , skid plates and tires.
Thanks Scott

ecmini1
09-24-2007, 05:54 AM
The apex 70cc will do well for you in any type of racing you choose. Shocks need to be upgraded only because they will be stiff for a light rider. But will be competive out of the box.

yfz450xc
09-24-2007, 04:32 PM
Thanks I appreciate it , he is a light racer also.
Were Looking forward to the GNCC this october and in 08.
Thanks
Scott

ecmini1
09-24-2007, 07:32 PM
Have fun and ride safe

XXX -rider
12-08-2007, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by ecmini1
The apex 70cc will do well for you in any type of racing you choose. Shocks need to be upgraded only because they will be stiff for a light rider. But will be competive out of the box.
what weight rider is TOO light ?
what upgrades to shock ...rebuilt ? & by who ? or replaced with aftermarket ..? if so recomend a shock ..

yfz450xc
12-08-2007, 06:51 AM
Lessons learned, shocks are close I softened them up but still need more I feel, he weighs 60lbs. Air filter change is a must relocate away from front tire going to route it up to the seat, tires worked great, the Ironman was a mudfest for the kids but stuck it out and finished. really happy with the bike and the performance though, his leval of riding increases everytime he gets on it.

TricityCdale
12-13-2007, 02:38 PM
When you say you 'softened up' the shocks, what do you mean? I'm curious if the stock shocks can be re-valved/re-sprung or if you have to get aftermarket shocks. My son is also 60 lbs or less and the stock settings are definitely too stiff.